.ORG How's the Melting Pot?

I melt tons of lead each year and use all sorts of lead,the worst for exploding is used fishing weights ,moisture and ecpecially salt crystals get trapped in cracks and inbetween the eye and the lead ,as mentioned earlier the best way to prevent an explosion is to introduce the lead first into the pot as you begin to heat the pot up or as in my operation i use a tiger torch to evaporate any moisture before putting it directly into melted lead,hope you guys are wearing masks with the proper filters ,lead is at its most toxic state as it cools(vapours coming off it)just something to keep in mind.

I melt tons of lead each year and use all sorts of lead,the worst for exploding is used fishing weights ,moisture and ecpecially salt crystals get trapped in cracks and inbetween the eye and the lead ,as mentioned earlier the best way to prevent an explosion is to introduce the lead first into the pot as you begin to heat the pot up or as in my operation i use a tiger torch to evaporate any moisture before putting it directly into melted lead,hope you guys are wearing masks with the proper filters ,lead is at its most toxic state as it cools(vapours coming off it)just something to keep in mind.

Great info here guys. I just started pouring my own gear and some of these tips can be taken to heart. I notice any impurities on, or in the lead, whether it oil, water or what have you, has a negative reaction when adding to melted lead. Like most any scenario when adding a cold something into a hot something, **** can happen. Just ask my windshield and defroster :p

I just had a date with the silver dragon this weekend...not fun. Splatter happens no matter how careful you are. Dress the part and be safe. Happy pouring.

No matter what metal you deal with there will be a certain amount of water in it. There are pores or spaces where water accumulates. As a welder I have had to pre-heat steel before welding, that is warming up the metal until it sweats and dries. You would be surprised at how much water appears on the surface, now add that to any inclusions and you have a recipe for a lead pot eruption. When I am pouring lead and melting it I have a leather jacket, face shield, and a heavy cotton cap with welder gloves on.

Anyone who thinks Diverticulosis is a humorous matter won't be laughing at all when they have their first serious bout of it.

They'll be bent over double in a cold sweat white-knuckle experience with a pain in the lower abdomen so bad that they never thought was humanly possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a condition where the large intestine forms pockets or pouches which fill up with fecal matter and plug, then infection sets in and a similar condition as appendicitus occurs if this bursts you are in for major surgery and possibly removal of a portion of the bowel. Not a pleasant condition and quite often a very long recovery period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guy's for filling me in on how water can get into lead.
Don't think I will be making any CB's as I hear it can effect your noggin.
Slow on the up take now so I don't need to get worse.
GLG

hahaha, i knew i left myself open on that one, thought the first comment would be something along the lines of...oh so thats what happened to him,lol,....im sure a few thought it even if they didnt post it,lol.....holmes*

haha, I was thinking it but held off on posting anything. Kinda felt sorry for ya ;) At least we know what happened.

Anyone who thinks Diverticulosis is a humorous matter won't be laughing at all when they have their first serious bout of it.

They'll be bent over double in a cold sweat white-knuckle experience with a pain in the lower abdomen so bad that they never thought was humanly possible.

You have it as well? My surgeon says mine is most severe he's ever seen which is not super assuring lol.

Alas the melting pot will be complete today.
It took me a bit to find the proper 6" pipe since some clown stole the one I had.
I had to look in another town to find it, as no one here carried even the foot I needed because of the price of 6" thickwall.
You'll only find 4" here max.

Hey Lorne as I told you the other night he said it was done and that he was going to be dropping it off. Since then his cell phone has been off he has not been online I would guess he is in the hospital again.

But he said it is done.....

this thread could use a few of these...

5116916182_2af2373afc.jpg

Well .ORG is droping the unit off today.

Trying to PM him and his mail box is full. Empty It.....

I know Lorne would put money on a no show. Lets hear it Lorne.....

Back