Options?

Bassblaster

Hey everyone. As a newcomer to the island I'm at a disadvantage for how to fill my need to go fishing on my days off this time of year. Seems the Salmon runs are over, steel's haven't started running yet, and the big pond is a wee bit on the rough side a lot of the time now.

What other fishing options can you recommend so I don't go into withdrawals? How's the winter fishing out here? and for what and when. Not looking for anyone's secret spot, just trying to get a better handle on the whole Island outdoor experience thing.

Is there even such a thing as ice-fishing on the lakes around here? Don't mean to sound like an idiot, really just don't know.

Any and all suggestions would help. Thanks in advance.

Hey Bassblaster. There are certainly options around CR. First off, I asked the same ice fishing question in Freshwater a couple weeks back and got some good answers, so check that thread out. Second, not too early to hunt steelers on the Stamp.

There are usually a few cutties in the Campbell and Quinny, so can hit that with the fly. And there is decent trout fishing on the area lakes. Depending on your boat, might want to try trolling Buttel Lake -not many monsters, but can be decent numbers of decent fish. If it's not a great lake boat, can be fished successfully from shore too. Good luck!

Not much ice fishing on the island, that said lakes and rivers are available to fish all year.
I prefer the salt myself. You do have to be careful and pick your days, but i've had some great days on the
chuck in the middle of January with sun shining , no wind, and fish biting !

Another option this time of year is hooking up with a local enhancement society/group. Broodstock collection leads to egg takes, etc. It is time well spent with fish sometimes outdoors and most often with a great group of folks. Always something to volunteer for.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Keep 'em coming, it's going to be a long winter I hear.

Could you guys give some suggestions regarding the groups Cuttlefish talked about? Being relatively new to the area I don't have any contacts or know of any such groups but I'd be happy to donate some time on days when my wife isn't off work with me. I'm always willing to be supportive of any good cause.

the lakes on quadra are nice and quiet this time of year,, there are a few trout;)

Back