opinions wanted....guided hali fishing with electric reel

they deleted the comments. The debate was about some dude smoking a cigar while an electric rod brought up his hali. Pathetic IMHO. Not like he is some seriously old dude who couldn't do it. Just some drunk who doesn't give a hoot! This is commercial fishing not sport fishing IMHO. I have respect for hindsight but now? I see they deleted the posts criticizing them, the will probably take down the video soon when the realize this is not good!

Reactions: abl
they say they use electric because they cant find hali unless they go 700+ ft down. Isn't that a sign to stop F#%$^ing fishing hali. When guides used commercial electric gear, it is f'ed up! It is an embarrassment to real "sport fishing" guys//gals!

Not defending it but super deep hali fishing with electric reels is pretty standard practice south of the border. Check out the halibut threads on the iFish Salty Dogs forum and you'll see lots of references to the extreme depths they fish and the use of electric reels to make it viable. I'm sure some may argue that spreading out exploitation between the deeper and the shallower populations may make more sense than 100% of the sport effort on the shallower, near shore segment of the population, though that's just speculation on my part. At a $1000+ a pop for an electric reel I don't think too many folks targeting halibut in our waters will be making the switch any time soon!!

Cheers!

Ukee

Should also add that there was a time that downriggers and pot pullers were considered commercial gear and not "sporting" and both are now standard fare for all sport fishers. There always seems to be disagreement around these types of things, whether its fly guys vs gear chuckers, moochers vs riggers, etc. We'd probably all be better served if we just pursue our sport in the manner each of us enjoys and not cast any judgements on our fellow fishers so long as folks are complying with the regs. Just my philosophy.

Cheers!

Ukee

Should also add that there was a time that downriggers and pot pullers were considered commercial gear and not "sporting" and both are now standard fare for all sport fishers. There always seems to be disagreement around these types of things, whether its fly guys vs gear chuckers, moochers vs riggers, etc. We'd probably all be better served if we just pursue our sport in the manner each of us enjoys and not cast any judgements on our fellow fishers so long as folks are complying with the regs. Just my philosophy.

Cheers!

Ukee
Sorry Ukee, I appreciate the well thought out politically correct statement however my belief is that there has to be a line. Everyon has there own line and has a right to express it! I think that having to move to 700ft of water, no interaction of the fisherman other than smoking a cigar and drinking beer, has nothing to do with spots fishing. Might as well go on a boat ride and then go to the grocery store for your commie fish! If there are no fish in "fishable" areas, then you are destroying our future stocks by moving out and using technology where you don't even touch the freaking rod! Seriously, it's not a right, it's a privilege!

No need to be sorry, its your opinion and forum's wouldn't exist if people didn't state their's. My personal views on sport fishing are pretty much in line with yours and that's what I practice on my boat. But, just as I don't want some PETA type to force their idea of what sporting is on me, so long as you comply with the regs I try not to worry about what others are doing. Just don't try to set the riggers to an even number depth on my boat!!! LOL!

Cheers!

Ukee

I don't think that's fishing. Being present while a fish is dragged to the surface and landed by the guide. No satisfaction of working to the catch, I pull my downriggers and prawn traps up from 350 taste better when you're exhausted

I'd rather fight the fish myself! Sure would be a nice feature when there are a lot of dogfish and your checking your gear every 15 minutes! I'll probably never own one, but mostly electric reels are used for bottom fishing in 2000' of water! I can't imagine dragging 2 lbs of weight let alone with a fish on from that depth.

All I know is one guy on the boat has the idea of fishing correctly....and he's on the starboard side fighting a fish. ;)

The "using electrics because they are 700' down"....seems a bit far fetched in this instance as one guy actually IS reeling, and one guy is a lazy phart who likely has a challenge reeling in anything more than a pink. :rolleyes::p

handicapped, very old, ok, not some jack##s who s to damm lazy to bring a fish up - those guys don t fish in 700 feet of water for halis anyways!!!

If they are fishing 700' depths, I doubt they are complying with the weight limits in the regs. Can't see 2 lbs staying on bottom for long in 700' of water in the either strait. Doubt they are fishing 700'. Just trying to make excuses for their poor choice in tactics. I wouldn't pass judgement on someone with a disability or medical condition that prevented them from reeling in a fish, otherwise I consider it meat lining, and hardly comparable to downriggers and prawn pullers.

i thought it was illegal to retrieve the fish with the electric reel in canada. you could use it to check bait but not play the fish?

the murican i bought my boat from, used electrics and said they often fish in 350-500'.

unless its a medical issue, personal opinion, this is soo wrong.

Reread your first posts. Strongly targeting a specific guide and discrediting his operation when he was doing nothing illegal is not the best way to go about things. If you don't like electric reels and want to discuss the topic on here then more power to you but don't expect to make friends with your original approach.

In terms of electric reels, I'm not a fan but it's far from your longlining accusation. You realize long lining is typically 100s of hooks on a ground line left out for periods of time. Fishing with an electric reel is no different than what every other guy is doing except it's obviously easier to reel in.

Fair enough Kelly, my post was about opinions and I appreciate yours. Its not all black and white!

Back