old tackle question ...

the shark

i got these from a garage sail pretty much for free because i bought a rod and reel for 5 bucks and he gave me these some were in a box called "strip teaser"
Picture 403.jpgPicture 404.jpgPicture 402.jpgPicture 405.jpg

We used them in the 60's, called them flashtails. Used them similar to a hoochie but with the old abe and al flasher. I had good success with them for coho in the Mid Island / Parksville area. Still have a dozen or so. I should try them out down here in the Victoria area when the coho come in.

bucktail,, drag them in the wash when coho are around..

You have buck tails and Flashtails there. The one without the plastic are buck tails. That one with grey was a HOT fly and known as a Grey Ghost.

The other is a Barry's Flashtail. They were HOT stuff until the coho populations crashed. I used to fish those at 30 feet on a 33-35 inch 25 pound test leader behind a red hot spot on the ECVI and SLAY...

All popular colours you have there. Man!!! I still smile at those days!!!

Those Cohoes could fight!! Today's South Coast Coho are dead by the old standards....the size sucks now too...

Caught Lots of Springs off the flashtails myself .... still do. As F M says the grey ghost is a huge producer, I also prefer the light and dark green combos with the Mylar, behind a flasher any where between 18 and 32 inches Vavoom ! The Bucktails are the ones with the Built in Hooks so to speak hooks, ... again FM nails it with Coho being the main result, trolled fast in your wash behnd the boat used to KILL em. The swimmer head was even producing for me as early as 1 month ago off Nanaimo, no flasher, just a keel sinker behind the boat as a mid line.

YES they work and at times WORK WELL !

Back