Old Mine site

mr killer

I've been getting pretty stoked on all the old mine workings around Nanaimo, here's a couple pictures from an old mine rumored to be the old Joyce goldmine on the Nanaimo river, I've recently been in another coal mine that is absolutely insane, we're working on getting some better photos of that one, so those are coming.
But this one was found a few years ago the tunnel colapsed and you can get into it, when I was in there a few years ago it was perfect with the tracks still visible it's been flooded and has collapsed the supports you see would have been the top of the tunnel it's all f'd now but still kind of cool, Any one hear of the Elkhorn goldmine in Cassidy? or the Joyce gold mine? apparently the same thing any info would be appreciated, more photos coming soon.....
url]

url]

thats awesome!
alot of history in the area most people arnt aware of.
Have you searched out the copper canyon mines?

Cool!! When I was a kid growing up in Port Alberni, we used to play in a bunch of old mines that were drilled into the side of the canyon on Ship Creek at the very south end of 5th avenue that looked a wee bit like this.

I remember being told they were old copper mine shafts.

It's true, CS.

One time a big assed rock fell off the entrance of one of those shafts when we were messing around. It landed on this kinda chubby kid and pinned him. I remember him turtling on his back and screaming with the big rock on his gut as we were trying to roll it off him. [:eek:)]

Fortunately he lived on to do the two favourite passtimes you refer to. :D

ok here are the good pictures as promised just took them today,
050-1.jpg
109.jpg
047.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

070.jpg

075.jpg
083.jpg
089.jpg
097.jpg
098.jpg
102.jpg
103.jpg
107.jpg
124.jpg
126.jpg
128.jpg
130.jpg

it's pretty cool down there, hope you enjoy the pictures.

Some pretty heavy duty cribbing in the last few pics , my Uncle was a powder man at Bralorne , Gold Bridge back in the 50's and 60's.

AL

Cool lookin' pics, NOW GET THE F*** OUT before I watch them recover your body on chek 6! There's no way that rotting cribbing is holding up anything, nor the water-saturated overhead rock/mud/clay! 10 years in the biz says you like Russian roulette!

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

well this slope is blasted through solid rock the only thing i was worried about was the cribbing falling on us it's not holding up the ceiling it's like being in a big cave, there are no cave in spots or anything, pretty solid, felt safe the whole time. not really planning on going into this thing alot but it was pretty fun and I'll have these pictures to remember for the rest of my life.:D

Millsy
I'll let you know where it is, I'd even show it to you if you want to see it let me know. if you want to check it by yourself pm me I'll give you the directions.

That looks like some old Knob & Tube electrical on those old posts. Neat pictures. My wife's family used to have an old "China Man's" cave on their property in Cassisy.

Hey Mr. K, checked your profile to send a pm, could not find your email.. Would love some info on the whereabouts of that shaft.. Cool pics. If you would not mind sending me a little info on the location it would be much appreciated..cheers dirty:D

adrianna3 what the heck is a china man cave? just wondering and dirtdog I'll email or pm you right now

cheers man, much appreciated.. My father inlaw was the manager at wolf mountain.. He would love to see some more pics.. cheers the d-dog:D

I would like to meet up with you and check out the mines you know of i know two other mines in Nanaimo area

Looks really cool but im not fond of confinded ares good on ya going in but me dont think so to scary LOL
Neatest part is all that history just in our little world can you imagine what tht place was like when it was being built and in production mode that would have been a sight to see.
keep sending pics

Wolf

it's pretty cool to see all the drill holes in the wall where the would pilot the drill in there and then proceed to blast it out, must have taken a loooong time we got down about 200 feet to the ground water and this thing should go down to 550 feet below ground, it's pretty peaceful in there the first time I went in by myself it was alot of adrenaline second time went in with a buddy and we were in there for about a half hour. PB I'd show it to you we can trade info I'd like to know where your other mines are at. If I get back in there to take pictures again I'll post more,

Back