Campbell River Lost A Good One Last Week....Farewell Lin Antonelli...

Dave H

https://www.campbellrivermirror.com..._2884555661620856&comment_id=2884555661620856

Above is a link to the obituary for Lin Antonelli, who passed last week from congestive heart disease/failure.

We old SSBC types from back in the '90's who belonged to the Campbell River Branch all knew Lin and several of us fished with her too. I first met her in 1990 and she was very helpful in our putting together seven dinner/auction fundraisers in a row, which is where we worked together and became friends. I took her steel-heading a few times and aided her in getting her first-ever wild summer-run steelhead in 1991. She was so stoked.
She held the rod for Elmer Davis in the Tyee Pool and got herself a Tyee, thus earning membership in the Tyee Club of BC. Later she became a Life Member and was well-known among the Tyee crew.
A life of hair-dressing led to some tunnel carpal-like problems later on so she couldn't Tyee fish any longer and, having received a lot of Elmer's gear after he passed, she had a lot of gear she wasn't using.
She gave it to me.
A Richmake rod, Daiwa 275B reel, numerous spoons and several plugs, all tried and proven. All three Tyees I've rowed were caught on that gear.

Those of you who have fished in the Tyee Pool with me have probably used some of the gear Lin gave me.
Obviously I have a soft spot in my heart for her.

Lin was the kind of woman who worked hard, ran her own business for years, enjoyed life, had a wicked sense of humour, helped out her friends as required, worked for years with the Ladies Auxiliary of The Eagles here and generally was well-liked and/or loved by her friends.
Sadly, she lost her husband Ken last July, after nursing him through his last year or so. He was 93, a dozen years older than Lin and also a great local guy well-loved by those who knew him. Lin took his passing hard but persevered and was perking up noticeably when her heart started to fail, and now she's gone too.

My favorite story about Lin involves a day when I took her and her pal Ellen Nutting on a steelhead jaunt to a small river north of here in the early 90's. Lin would have been about 55 or so and her husband Ken about 67.
It was a lovely day with nice water but I don't remember that we caught anything, although Lin and Ellen managed to spook one from its lie whilst wading rather clumsily, as I recall.
Fast forward six hours or so and we're heading back to Campbell River, me driving.
As we neared the turn-off to Ellen's place she said to Lin:
"Darn it, I'm tired, sweaty and need a shower but the old man will want supper sure as heck. I sure don't feel like cooking."

Without missing a beat, Lin replied: "I'm not worried about that at all. Soon as I get home I'm into the shower and as soon as I'm out of the shower I'm calling Ken in and having sex with him."
She continued: "It's a lot less effort and a lot less messy and the old bugger will be so happy he'll probably cook supper for me." And then she laughed uproariously, as she often did.

Anyway, here's to Lin, a sweetheart of a woman and a pal to many of us Campbell River anglers.

Here's a pic of her in 1995 with her SSBC Mission Award certificate, flanked by the late Bruce Gerhart and Big Ray Woodhead.

Lin Antonelli 027.jpg

And here she is, every inch the lady and stoked after catching a steelhead.

Lin Antonelli 025.jpg

R.I.P. Lin Antonelli.

Take care.

My condolences to you and her family.

Seeing a picture of Bruce brightened my day......thanks!

Back