Okanagan sockeye 2023

Bonneville 325K
Wells 106K, but they're 5 days behind on reporting.

Open in WA as others have noted. In past years, the Fisheries Notice announcing the opening comes last week of July, 3 or 4 days before it starts.

diff rules and MUCH better management then DFO and even OKNA.. imho
What does "better management" mean here? Larger limit? I'm not sure I want to see a 4 fish a day limit at Osoyoos, the number of people fishing would triple. The larger limit would attract people from Vancouver and Calgary, and it's plenty crowded now.

What does "better management" mean here? Larger limit? I'm not sure I want to see a 4 fish a day limit at Osoyoos, the number of people fishing would triple. The larger limit would attract people from Vancouver and Calgary, and it's plenty crowded now.
The management side of it Wally for me atleast isn’t so much the limits even though the 4 fish limit is decent imo. It’s the way the money is spent and the overall infrastructure is handled with the fisheries period, they just have so much more supporting cast then we do in Canada and it makes a difference.

Sure would be nice if our govt invested in a couple of the fin clipping setups that Washington has. We've finally got them sold on hatchery marked selective fisheries, now let's actually clip all the fish. A decade ago when I saw one in action, it was a million dollar trailer, would be double that now. But still a pretty minor expenditure in the world of government. Some of the volunteers that clip manually now could be trained on the automated system so the ongoing costs would be limited to transport and maintenance.

Looking like the high water temps and low flows are taking their toll. Wells Dam showing below the 10 year average. Will the fish come up the Okanagan under these in-river conditions?

Screenshot_20230726_080746_Chrome.jpg

DFO haven't got the email from Ottawa yet telling them there's a fire. Fires are provincial. Even then, would they care?

Very smoky yesterday (an hour north of Osoyoos) and some ash falling. Clear and fine this morning.

I am not sure but do not think that the fire would have anything to do with an announcement about the opening .
The City /province would issue a boating ban. The 2 really have nothing to do with each other ?

I am not sure but do not think that the fire would have anything to do with an announcement about the opening .
The City /province would issue a boating ban. The 2 really have nothing to do with each other ?
It has to do with staying off the water for the water skimmers and helicopters dumping water on the fire.

Looking like we will lose most of the fish in the Columbia anyway. The above average peak at Bonneville is a below average at Wells. No convenient fish counter structure on the Okanagan to give precise data, but it's abnormally hot and dry. Fish are unlikely to come further up river unless it gets cool and wet very soon.

The fire appears to be less aggressive since the big wind driven advance on Saturday, but I can see how even relatively low intensity skimmer operations would be unworkable with 60-80 boats fishing on the north basin.

Nothing announced as of today, whereas in a normal year we would be enjoying the first week of the opening. Looking like a repeat of 2015 when a medium strong return came over Bonneville but wouldn't come up the Okanagan because of the heat and drought.

Yes, very unfortunate that there will be no Osoyoos sockeye opening this year due to low n warm water. As far as the management concerns go USA vs Canada, I am in close contact with a couple of the DFO “negotiators” and what they tell me is it is very hard to get the US on board as far as sustainability goes. It is a group effort to get them back here to spawn. We re-introduced the salmon to the system and had many many discussions with the various American dams, fisheries and First Nations to get it done. To get 4 different groups to agree on things seems impossible. I don’t think people need to point fingers tho as they did and are doing a great job getting the salmon back here for us to enjoy.
I find it hard to get my family of 4 on the same page. Just sayin. 😂

Each year is a bit different, but this year with them unwilling to come up river until temps decrease and flows increase, the Americans may well take some fish while they're fairly fresh.

Had the boat in Skaha today tubing and swimming with the grandkids. I'd say there's a few socks in there...

Attachments

• 20230813_142858.jpg
    20230813_142858.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 39
- Getting any decent sized kokanee in Skaha? I know 35 cm limit is in place next few months but haven't seen any larger since May. As no Osoyoos sockeye opening this year the freezer is looking rather bare. Thinking better luck on Okanagan with no size limit.
--At the Skaha dock always seem to hear limits caught no mention of size and often wonder if they're keeping sockeye or actually catching kokanee.

We are very fortunate to have those guys upstream working hard and being so dedicated to our little run. Our family/community really appreciates the efforts. Thank you.
I

Back