Okanagan sockeye 2023

yup, I also heard from a little birdie that ONA has reintroduced more chinook into the okanagan water shed in okanagan lake especially this year. Doubt there would ever be a fishery! but damn it would be nice to have what ontario has for freshwater chrome springs

yup, I also heard from a little birdie that ONA has reintroduced more chinook into the okanagan water shed in okanagan lake especially this year. Doubt there would ever be a fishery! but damn it would be nice to have what ontario has for freshwater chrome springs
See how long it takes for someone to catch one. Unfortunately, I think they will just head out down the Columbia.

Closer to the average than I had hoped. Remember this is the cohort that largely perished in Brewster Pool in 2015 due to the persistent heat and drought that year. Still unlikely there will be a sport opening though.

Screenshot_20230626_060624_Chrome.jpg

They put pictures of chinook fry release on their FB page last month. Was always part of the plan, although their PUD funding partners won't pay for this particular part of their operations, the agreement is for sockeye only. Likewise the sturgeon program that raises hatchlings and releases them into the Columbia around Trail is their own initiative.

Definitely some chinooks come up the Okanagan. It was a decade or more ago, but there used to be a couple of guides offering fishing services out of Omak, fly fishing for springs in the fall.

Looking hopeful, certainly better than I expected. 138,500 over Bonneville so far, could expect ~250,000 based on that. Tracking close to 10 year average.

Might just be a sport opening if this projected abundance proves out. Of course some very complex ecological, political and cultural discussions to be had in the next month before any fisheries notice is released.

Screenshot_20230628_164351_Chrome.jpg

They put pictures of chinook fry release on their FB page last month. Was always part of the plan, although their PUD funding partners won't pay for this particular part of their operations, the agreement is for sockeye only. Likewise the sturgeon program that raises hatchlings and releases them into the Columbia around Trail is their own initiative.

Definitely some chinooks come up the Okanagan. It was a decade or more ago, but there used to be a couple of guides offering fishing services out of Omak, fly fishing for springs in the fall.
If you know any First Nations guys on the north end of the lake, they’ll tell you that once in a while there’s a few springs that still show up to spawn in Whiteman creek. Never seen any myself but have been hearing it for decades.

They only just opened up the fish ladder a few years back so I dunno how they would have got in. Can’t see them jumping high enough to clear the damn. I do know of 1 confirmed chinook in the creek at hardy falls last year though.

Looking hopeful, certainly better than I expected. 138,500 over Bonneville so far, could expect ~250,000 based on that. Tracking close to 10 year average.

Might just be a sport opening if this projected abundance proves out. Of course some very complex ecological, political and cultural discussions to be had in the next month before any fisheries notice is released.

View attachment 94123

another nice tick up from yesterday

They only just opened up the fish ladder a few years back so I dunno how they would have got in. Can’t see them jumping high enough to clear the damn. I do know of 1 confirmed chinook in the creek at hardy falls last year though.
The dam in Penticton uses an underflow format, can't be jumped. ONA were releasing fry into Okanagan Lake tribs for years before they got official permission to open the fish channel at Penticton. These were generally sockeye, a combination of publicity for their restoration program and pressure on senior governments to open passage into the big lake. But they've been raising chinook for 6 years now at the hatchery, one can safely assume some of these went into the release program.

Certainly looks promising for overall run size. Well in excess of the forecast of 224,000, probably will top 300,000 over Bonneville.

Now we have to hope that heat and drought don't prevent them from coming up into Canadian waters.

Screenshot_20230703_075000_Chrome.jpg

310k over bonneville and only 60k over wells so far. That’s well under the 10 year average and a pittance compared to last year. Not a good outlook.

Back