Okanagan sockeye 2022

I saw those big marks too and figured as much. The Penticton hatchery has been raising and releasing chinook fry for several years now, and over 30,000 have crossed Wells YTD, well above the 10 year average. The Americans get an opening in Brewster Pool, a lot more productive than ours as they can take 4 socks and 2 springs per day. Not sure how many of those chinook are returning to Okanagan waters though. Hopefully the hatchery stock can speed population recovery sufficiently for a sport opening this side of the border.

wells-dam-adult-count-gr.jpeg

we went down for 2 days, the wind was tough to deal with but the fishing was good, limit was tougher to get on windy days but still doable
Yesterdays wind drove me crazy. We had a larger vessel but still had to be on the controls all day to stay straight.

The bites went crazy for us at around 9 am. Finished our last 3 fish in about 15 minutes.

Tried an evening fish last night - nada. Back out this morning for a limit for the 4 of us by 8am. Weird fish that the evening can produce nothing.

Plenty of socks already up in Skaha. Test dropping my dummy flasher setup this morning, hooked one at 2.0 mph. Sped up to 2.5 but the other rod hooked up anyway. Quick release on both and kept the gear out of the water after that.

Lots of marks, and these are just the precocious fish. Osoyoos must be frickin stacked.

View attachment 83092
Been catching quite a few socks while fishing Rainbows in Shaha. They have been hitting a big black and silver Apex ‍♂️ Go figure. Sure a lot of schools on the sounder. Nice to see!

Interesting video on the brewster pool in the columbia:

Are you guys using 10-12 pound downrigger weights or 15’s? Just wondering what I should bring up with me with these slow troll speeds and little current
exactly….slow troll so 10’s and 12’s do work just fine if that’s what you have….

Damn moving. I can’t even find my bucket of flashers. Gotta dip into new stock for this weekend.

Attachments

• AB1E6A07-264F-4047-BE5D-213825583A9D.jpeg
    AB1E6A07-264F-4047-BE5D-213825583A9D.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 31
I agree, there seems to be a lot of fish. Given how warm the water is (almost 77F at the top according to my sounder), not sure how many will survive to spawn.

I made the trek out last week, braved the 37C heat and the myriad of jet skis, wake boats and the white Oakley crowd, with the aim to get my 2 fish per day limit. The lake didn't disappoint, giving up 2 fish early leaving me all day to bake in the sun waiting for day two.

Fishing was easy in the early hours of the day. I had close to a dozen hits and shakers from 6am to 9am, with 2 in the boat before noon. Once the heat took hold, hits became few and far in between. I finally called it quits before 6pm as nothing seemed to want to cooperate. The next morning was a repeat.

The fish were holding in 60-70 fow, with the occasional school deeper to 80 fow. Trolling dead slow at 1.6 mph was the ticket. Anything faster and the hits dropped off. As everyone on here has already stated, small pink hootchies produced the best, although I did pick up a few hits on a lime green/white striped variant. I only had silver flashers, but they seemed to work regardless, one plain and the other with a strip of reflective tape on the side. Can't say either one was better.

As it was my first time fishing the lake, I just followed all the other boats as they trolled pretty much right in front of the marina in 90 to 170 fow. There was no need to go anywhere else. Everyone was catching fish. The hardest part of the trip was finding parking, as the lot in front of the marina was full by first light. I was fortunate to arrive just as someone was coming off the water after catching their 2 fish limit...and they were headed off to work. They mentioned they were on the water for less than an hour!

At one point as I was trolling around, my fish finder went a bit wonky, as it was unable to pick up sonar returns from the bottom. Turns out I was over a school of fish in 60 fow and my finder registered a false bottom as it couldn't penetrate the school of fish. There were so many fish that it happened many more times throughout the morning.

The fish were a bit slimy and on the dark side...pinkish really...but the fillets were still firm (for now...as we all know it's bound to get worse).

Pretty happy with the trip in general. All the info provided by other members on the forum were spot on and made my trip a success. For that I'm quite thankful!

B

Attachments

• IMG_6268.JPG
    IMG_6268.JPG
    443.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6269.JPG
    IMG_6269.JPG
    497.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6267.JPG
    IMG_6267.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6271.JPG
    IMG_6271.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 68
My buddy said that osoyoos is closed for sockeye now. Is this just a bad rumour? I know they were reviewing it yesterday.

If it’s true, I’m going to be very grumpy on this vacation

My buddy said that osoyoos is closed for sockeye now. Is this just a bad rumour? I know they were reviewing it yesterday.

If it’s true, I’m going to be very grumpy on this vacation
It is not closed I emailed the DFO for a 4 fish update and he said it’s staying status quo until at least the 22cnd

Back