Ogden Point/Breakwater

falcon1

I want to try fishing there, but I'm not positive my rod is strong enough. It is technically a freshwater rod, and it hyas a spinning reel. It is the rod and line I am worried about though as the reel is meant for saltwater as well as fresh. Is 10lb test strong enough?

i use my "freshwater" spincast for everything. diawa reel with fireline crystal (14 lb?)... Landed plenty of lings and salmon.. Tuna in mexico last year on the same setup. take it with me everywhere.

moral of the story - the Rods and reel is only as good as you are... and if your patient you shouldn't have any problems.

Hmmm, I will have to think about it then. Still, no one itn their right mind would try to land a 30lb chinook with a panfish setup. Rods do have limits.

Hmmm, I will have to think about it then. Still, no one itn their right mind would try to land a 30lb chinook with a panfish setup. Rods do have limits.

Its been done... on a much higher scale. I read a article on a guy who spent a whole season trying to catch a 40+ on 6 lb test.. Spent two hours fighting it... even netted it himself.

Honestly on ogen you could probably handle it, mostly rock fish and snags anyways at this time of year.. the odd winter spring would be a good time.

Back