OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Just got back from fishing. We worked (there's that term that Pippen loves;)) hole in the wall for three or four hours this am without a bite. We saw a HUGE school of herring at the surface and trolled through it a few times but unsuccessfully. Then we fished from the Cap. mouth to point Atkinson with only one little dogfish. At Cap. mouth **** hit the fan when the downriggers got tangled on each other, hit the bottom, then went onto the prop right under the bridge and we almost got beached but I jumped out and saved the boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at HITW for a few hours yesterday. Not a breath of breeze and it was hot! No fish for me, and didn't see any other action
I was also there for a few hours yesterday a.m. ... picked up one small keeper spring and had one other fish pop off the down rigger but not stick. Calm indeed ... unlike the West Van side of the Harbour mid a.m. and on yesterday.

Boated another decent spring at HITW today.

Too hot for us so we left before slack or maybe we could have mustered up another one.

Few pinks in the mix as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boated another decent spring at HITW today.

Too hot for us so we left before slack or maybe we could have mustered up another one.

Few pinks in the mix as well.

Thanks for update mrbradley

I am going to HITW tomorrow. Any info on baits/lure and depth?. Last two outing have been skunks for me.

eastpoint.

70-100 feet and anchovies has produced all of our fish these last couple weeks.

The fish we caught had bait fish in their bellies, and we had seen schools of bait fish. Due to this, it might be hard to trick one into hitting much other than bait.

Best of luck.

Heading out tomorrow for my new boats first run with all the new goodies. I would like to thank everyone for any help they offered, it was very appreciated. Now my dillema is where to fish? I'm launching out of mcdonald beach but maybe I should be heading to HITW. If you were a betting man where would you head?

Id try shallow from the pink building to the cap mouth first light then hit HITW

Anyone feel like coming out to HITW today? Heading out in an hour or 2. Just myself, lots of room
Pm for details.

So I was at HITW early this morning. Lines in at 5:45am until around 10am. Had one shaker but that was it. Very interesting to me that the water is super clear throughout Howe Sound. Unfortunately it seems that when the water is clear my results are lacking...dunno what's up with that.

By 8am there were 4-5 guide boats working the area. They all started in tight to the rocks and then as time passed started meandering out further. I didn't see any action on those boats. (The boats were: Predator, Mongoose Striker, 2 Bon Chovy Grady Whites, and another Grady called Rock'n'Reel).

Might try to be on the water even earlier tomorrow...maybe the pink apartments in English Bay?

Hey pineapple
we did same program as you. Red aluminum NorthRiver. Same results too.
I think I'm Going to try Granville island tomorrow. But I'll probably get skunked there too. Lol

Was out today until the wife could not handle the ups and downs. Ended up with one undersized spring, one coho, and five crab for the sat night gathering. Both fish were caught on a white Orange and black spoon. Coho shallow from 30 to 50 drop cable at 35. Under sized in 90' of water on the top line 35 once again. Wife's first salmon today.

It was good times and bad times...

I fished the West Van shoreline this morning near the pink apartments. Just after the tide started ebbing I got a good bite but lost it while fooling around with the motor and the downrigger. Dammit! Re-baited and circled back to the same spot. Quickly got another bite and was bringing it in to the boat. About to net the fish and the other rod is jumping!! Net the fish, identify it as a small coho, clipped! Perfect. Go to grab the other rod and it's free from the clip but no fish attached. Try to bring up the downrigger and realize that I'm snagged on the bottom. Ended up having BOTH downriggers snagged on the bottom. Lost about 35' of wire on one, and just the cannonball and snubber on the other.

After that gong show I headed to Granville Island and walked up to Steveston Marine and got a bunch more gear. (Went to West Marine first, but that store is absolutely useless). It was choppy heading back to Howe Sound with the ebb tide and the SW wind, maybe the roughest I've ever been in right at Pt Atkinson!

nice little cluster you had there pineapple sorry to hear that buddy but nice to hear atleast you got 1 hatch coho.

nice little cluster you had there pineapple sorry to hear that buddy but nice to hear atleast you got 1 hatch coho.

haha, thanks! Getting the one fish was good news for me for sure. Tasted great on the BBQ tonight! Coho two ways....mmmmmmm

I'm a glutton for punishment...I think I'll head back tomorrow morning!

Nice day along the West Van shoreline this morning. Late start for me (9:30am) and the tide was already ebbing quite a bit. Around 40 boats.

Got a nice hatchery coho and an undersized chinook on anchovies at about 60ft in 70-80ft of water, both near the Fisheries Research facility. Lines up around 12:30pm and a choppy ride around Point Atkinson home.

Here's my rig for Saturday's coho before I lost my gear on the bottom...

July%204%20coho_zpsicowagtb.jpg

Back