OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Just back in from a morning fish at the Hump. Blew thru a pack of anchovies on p cod (it was stupid this a.m.) and then threw 3 different spoons out ... Caught two about 10lbs on an Iron Needle at 110 ft to call it a morning. Great to play a couple fish on a big spoon with no flasher.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just back in from a morning fish at the Hump. Blew thru a pack of anchovies on p cod (it was stupid this a.m.) and then threw 3 different spoons out ... Caught two about 10lbs on an Iron Needle at 110 ft to call it a morning. Great to play a couple fish on a big spoon with no flasher.

Enviro Canada is showing .6-.7m waves at halibut bank buoy. Was the hump like this as well? Tomorrow is looking a little better but not tons. I'm trying to decide to if I should take a friend of mine who hasn't done a lot of salmon fishing out tomorrow but half meter waves might make him a little too sick to get through it.

Enviro Canada is showing .6-.7m waves at halibut bank buoy. Was the hump like this as well? Tomorrow is looking a little better but not tons. I'm trying to decide to if I should take a friend of mine who hasn't done a lot of salmon fishing out tomorrow but half meter waves might make him a little too sick to get through it.
It was an easterly and definitely less than at Halibut Bank, both wind and wave wise. An easy troll with the wind but a little sloppy into it.

Really? So I am fishing off Tofino.....4 guys on board and we have 4 halibut......am I to tell the lure that it is only supposed to catch lings or bottom fish?

I am at the mouth of the Cap in September......4 guys on board and we have 8 springs.......I am to instruct my lucky lure that it should avoid springs and only catch coho?

Freshwater fisherman in catch and release fisheries must be the biggest assholes then? Count me in......as I will be fishing the Clearwater River in late August......there is NO retention but I will still be fishing.

I'd like to find the lure that discerns what is going to bite it.

I am thinking I should rig a teaser head to NOT catch undersized salmon.

The scenario you mention Pippen is quite different than this.

This gentlemen is targeting chinook which is the only thing around at this time and not trying to catch another species afterwards. Catch a limit and then continue to fish for chinook to catch and release. Irresponsible fishing in my opinion.

I hope people are more sensible than that out there and if not then everyone should quit their complaining on here about lack of stocks in the ocean.

Sorry for hijacking the thread guys. Good luck fishing.

The scenario you mention Pippen is quite different than this.

This gentlemen is targeting chinook which is the only thing around at this time and not trying to catch another species afterwards. Catch a limit and then continue to fish for chinook to catch and release. Irresponsible fishing in my opinion.

I hope people are more sensible than that out there and if not then everyone should quit their complaining on here about lack of stocks in the ocean.

Sorry for hijacking the thread guys. Good luck fishing.

So....if I don't eat fish but enjoy fishing, what do I responsibly do?

All kinds of catch and release fisheries throughout this province and where there is a threat to the resource, say for rockfish at depth, it is usually noted in the regs. Fair to call someone out if they were using barbed trebles and netting fish into the boat to "release" fish but, single barbless released with a gaff in the bend of the hook is ethical in my books. Called SPORT fishing for a reason, rather than meat fishing.

One fishery that does irk me is the Fraser Sockeye snag/floss fishery. That is a meat fishery and pisses me off watching folks keep "fishing" (snagging) and dragging fish up on the beach to release for "sport".

Cheers!

Ukee

Catch a limit and then continue to fish for chinook to catch and release. Irresponsible fishing in my opinion.

Swiggy, not to offend but take up another sport
if a guy wants to stay out on the water and carry on fishing let him
do you know how many times most of us just wish to get a good bit of clam weather, to go enjoy the hobby we follow
not to mention time money and effort it takes
catching a limit is not everyone's sole intention out there you know

having fished catch release for more years than i care to mention
what are you trying to imply that C/R is unethical/ Irresponsible fishing in your opinion.

care to enlighten/educate us with your views?
i am all ears

Catch a limit and then continue to fish for chinook to catch and release. Irresponsible fishing in my opinion.

Swiggy, not to offend but take up another sport
if a guy wants to stay out on the water and carry on fishing let him
do you know how many times most of us just wish to get a good bit of clam weather, to go enjoy the hobby we follow
not to mention time money and effort it takes
catching a limit is not everyone's sole intention out there you know

having fished catch release for more years than i care to mention
what are you trying to imply that C/R is unethical/ Irresponsible fishing in your opinion.

care to enlighten/educate us with your views?
i am all ears
I agree with this^^
I also chuckled at your sig line there swiggy, a little ironic isnt it:rolleyes:
Wildthing wheres your report, pretty sure I heard you on the radio yesterday if that was you congrats!!

I agree with this^^
I also chuckled at your sig line there swiggy, a little ironic isnt it:rolleyes:
Wildthing wheres your report, pretty sure I heard you on the radio yesterday if that was you congrats!!

Is there a problem having a discussion?

There are simple solutions to this problem. Have regulations to properly protect the stocks.

With the comments people are making in here I am not surprised of the state of stocks.

Is there a problem having a discussion?

There are simple solutions to this problem. Have regulations to properly protect the stocks.

With the comments people are making in here I am not surprised of the state of stocks.

I agree there should not be catch and release for salmon, if a seal doesn't get the fish at the boat it will be tired and an easy target afterwards. How many fish don't live after a 20 minute battle? What about all the smaller fish killed by getting hooks through the eye etc.?

took out new friends for a trip Alex from Amundson and Harry from A&N
as they don't get much time out
we had a 18lber for Alex and Harry lost decent one right on the hump
uv white hootchie, purple onion flasher 100'-120'
got him close but took a dive between the kicker and middle rigger we got the rod passed back under the rigger line
but the fish won the day and threw the hook
it was nice to give the guys a treat out on the water and the weather was kind to us for most of the day.
we got a late start due to the lads coming over on the ferry ..
but all boats out had chances. and quite a few went home happy

What no tyee story John?
I thought that was you guys that boxed one

Sent from my rotary phone using tapacrap!

took a "never caught a fish before"girl out in the boat, set two crab traps, and as we cruised past snug cove on route to the hump, decided to troll hutt to tunstal instead.
caught " the coolest looking fish ever" aka rock cod...
no salmon, but we had an awsome crab day, through back everything under 7" and still limited out!

IMG_3869.jpgIMG_3866.jpgIMG_3871.jpgIMG_3868.jpg

a good day boating

Attachments

• IMG_3864.jpg
    IMG_3864.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_3865.jpg
    IMG_3865.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 647
Hey Fixit by the looks of the great smiles on you friend I think she'll be hooked on fishin' now :)
Looks like you guys had a great day.

fixit
thats what it's about
taking someone out and having an experience to remember.
them going home with a beaming smile
and the story's of the days adventure being retold.

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. Glad to be finally posting :) Great pics and info you all have been sharing!

Here's some pics of some Springs I got into not the weekend that just past but the one before. I was fishing the Sound around Anvil. Spent Friday/Sat moored at Snug Cove. Was beautiful sunshine but wind really kicked up in the afternoons.
Fished a couple ledge contours with some bait showing. Got all the fish from 60-100' all on herring.
IMG_2003.jpgIMG_2005.jpgIMG_1890.jpg

Back