Off shore small boat or jet ski as second boat

idk, offshore + kids + small boat is a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion. One bad day in a boat with a kid and good luck getting them to go back out again, never mind the safety concerns.

I have a couple of fishing buddies that have 2 boats, a bigger 18-22footer for offshore/hali fishing and a 14 footer for inshore nice day quicker trips. I also have a couple of buddies that just have the bigger boat and don't go out much because its more work. I love my tinny for all the reasons @N2013 noted but it’s a pick your day boat. And while it tends to float over rougher water, it's too hard to fish from with the waves bouncing you around.

I've been in this boat, it's a DREAM to fish from and ride in.
I agree, offshore is only me and likely a buddy, all safety gear. When I go offshore with my son, it's in my big boat, in good weather, with two motors and all safety gear, and with at least one other person who is seasoned/can run the boat and help in an emergency. When things go wrong, someone has to be focused on the boat, and I can be focused on his safety. Inshore in most weather, he and I can do pretty well together, but I'm still cautious.

How many HP for your 14-footer? I like the idea of 40hp for a heavy 14-footer with good flotation and an electric motor with virtual anchoring.
Price is for Boat, Motor and Controls (Trailer not available)

$13,500

17 foot Inflatable Boat with Fiberglass Hull 4 years old Holds air perfectly, ready to go with no issues. All seats are made from UHMW and the highest grade marine foam guaranteeing no water retention at all with heavy duty hinge brackets. with 50Hp Yamaha engine, 4 years old, no hours counter. most hours are idling, except for the couple minutes it takes to get out to Howe Sound and back into the channel. All maintenance, anoids and impeller changed & checked regularly and oil changed twice a year Discounts available if seats are removed Sold As is

Thanks, I have a small inflatable and after being on the board with SAR and seeing the "lifespan" of tubes, I won't be investing in more inflatables.

Ok hear me out.... On a perfect day, you could likely fly in to a hali spot and drop an anchor. Time to put that plane to good use.

Ok hear me out.... On a perfect day, you could likely fly in to a hali spot and drop an anchor. Time to put that plane to good use.
Haha, love it. No, that plane is perfect for finding every river/lake in the west. It would be pretty cool to fly up to rivers inlet and cast a fly to see if you could catch and release a monster spring.

No real bites on the plane right now. I need to do some work getting all the pictures together and a good video of a Stinson flying to help people with their dream.

I agree, offshore is only me and likely a buddy, all safety gear. When I go offshore with my son, it's in my big boat, in good weather, with two motors and all safety gear, and with at least one other person who is seasoned/can run the boat and help in an emergency. When things go wrong, someone has to be focused on the boat, and I can be focused on his safety. Inshore in most weather, he and I can do pretty well together, but I'm still cautious.

How many HP for your 14-footer? I like the idea of 40hp for a heavy 14-footer with good flotation and an electric motor with virtual anchoring.

Thanks, I have a small inflatable and after being on the board with SAR and seeing the "lifespan" of tubes, I won't be investing in more inflatables.

Ahh I thought you wanted to take your kid! But I hear you, I'm always on the side of caution as well. I have a 14ft Lund SSV with a 30hp etec. I really only ever opener up when tubing the kids otherwise it's too fast. It's rated for a 35hp tho, not that they make them anymore.

The Lund is riveted as well. May want to go with something welded like the 14ft Lifetimer. It can take a 40hp if it has a splashwell, or the Silver Streak 15footer. Thats a nice heavy grade wide beamed boat and can take a 40hp tiller, but $$$$$. Just depends on your budget. Wolf used to make one too but not sure if they are still in business.

Ahh I thought you wanted to take your kid! But I hear you, I'm always on the side of caution as well. I have a 14ft Lund SSV with a 30hp etec. I really only ever opener up when tubing the kids otherwise it's too fast. It's rated for a 35hp tho, not that they make them anymore.

The Lund is riveted as well. May want to go with something welded like the 14ft Lifetimer. It can take a 40hp if it has a splashwell, or the Silver Streak 15footer. Thats a nice heavy grade wide beamed boat and can take a 40hp tiller, but $$$$$. Just depends on your budget. Wolf used to make one too but not sure if they are still in business.
Wolf's done, he was trying to sell but it went to auction.

Definitely beam and weight. Lund's are great, have two extended family members who have them. I love my dad's old starcraft 16-footer and would definitely take one of those if could find one in a tiller style as he did.

Haha, love it. No, that plane is perfect for finding every river/lake in the west. It would be pretty cool to fly up to rivers inlet and cast a fly to see if you could catch and release a monster spring.

No real bites on the plane right now. I need to do some work getting all the pictures together and a good video of a Stinson flying to help people with their dream.
flew into rivers on a beechcraft years ago for work. those ranges before you drop in to Owekeno were among the most beautiful things i’ve ever seen.

that beechcraft crashed two weeks after i was in it

A pilot from Prince Rupert showing one way to fish those remote areas.
Love the chainsaw modifications! I think the same pilot flew me in diamond drilling every day in the late 90's. I remember a time he flew us out in the fog down a creek the only thing he could see was the white water in the creek, the fog was so thick he couldn't even see the ground to the left and right of the creek ravine.

I’ve been chatting with a few BC jet ski boys and watching Australians slay fish on theirs, usually with some freediving bikini babes mixed in. I’m coming around to a jet ski being a good quick fishing platform, solo or with one extra person, then I realize I have two kids and they will both want to go with me and mom will want them out of the house! So I’m leaning to a 16 foot and under aluminum with about 50hp. My dad has a deep v 16 foot StarCraft that my brother fished out of Bamfield with and I am a fan of stabicrafts marketing of their small boats. In particular their marketing of the 1450 is amazing. The price is quite the eye opener.

I know a member on here who uses his 17 lifetimer religiously with his kids for quick missions and barely fishes his big new boat.

Has anyone had any other 15-16 foot tiller style aluminums made in North America they would take offshore with confidence? Browsing Silver Streak but likely out of my budget unless Andy sponsors me, not happening!

If BC boat builders aren’t taking note of the marketing Stabicraft does they better, a dozen amazing YouTube videos professionally produced of their small aluminum.

Thanks for all ideas. Might be 2-3 years out on a purchase unless a $1000 StarCraft comes up.

I had a 15' SilverStreak with the RC (Reverse Chine) hull built probably 8 years ago. I put a 25Hp Yamaha on it. I don't get to use it much but I'm always impressed with how big and stable it feels when I'm in it. I think with me and the boy in it this summer it topped out at about 27mph. It feels plenty fast with the wind and bugs hitting your face...lol I have had it out in Renfrew a few times for crabbing and exploring but never much past Camper Creek. A great boat for that distance or even further up the coast but not sure I'd run it to SwiftSure. I have also owned a few PWC over the years and have always liked the idea of using it as a small fishing platform. They can handle big water but you will get wet. Both great options but totally different ends of the spectrum imo. I say just buy both and problem solved.......

I had a 15' SilverStreak with the RC (Reverse Chine) hull built probably 8 years ago. I put a 25Hp Yamaha on it. I don't get to use it much but I'm always impressed with how big and stable it feels when I'm in it. I think with me and the boy in it this summer it topped out at about 27mph. It feels plenty fast with the wind and bugs hitting your face...lol I have had it out in Renfrew a few times for crabbing and exploring but never much past Camper Creek. A great boat for that distance or even further up the coast but not sure I'd run it to SwiftSure. I have also owned a few PWC over the years and have always liked the idea of using it as a small fishing platform. They can handle big water but you will get wet. Both great options but totally different ends of the spectrum imo. I say just buy both and problem solved.......
That’s cool. Would it not be sweet to rig a PWC up for basic fishing, go solo, and just smash your way out to swiftsure doing 50 in a dry suit? If it’s just the fish you’re after for the freezer I don’t see any downsides? If you want the experience with your Boy/wife, staying dry, increased safety ect, then by all means take the big boat. I think I need a jet ski.

That’s cool. Would it not be sweet to rig a PWC up for basic fishing, go solo, and just smash your way out to swiftsure doing 50 in a dry suit? If it’s just the fish you’re after for the freezer I don’t see any downsides? If you want the experience with your Boy/wife, staying dry, increased safety ect, then by all means take the big boat. I think I need a jet ski.
I had a basic setup going a few years ago... I would troll with divers. The newer machines have low-speed "cruise control"
df.jpgdf2.jpg

Love silver streak boats how they weld all the inner ribs about 2 inch welds a foot apart and then use grey silicon between them to make it look like welds so when they crack is a mother ****** to fix.

I'd say you guys need to define offshore better. Any tub with plywood decks is no offshore boat.

Love silver streak boats how they weld all the inner ribs about 2 inch welds a foot apart and then use grey silicon between them to make it look like welds so when they crack is a mother ****** to fix.

I'd say you guys need to define offshore better. Any tub with plywood decks is no offshore boat.
I agree the vinyl over plywood decks aren’t as nice as a welded floor but saying a 26’ twin engine aluminum with those decks isn’t capable of fishing safely offshore is a bit of a stretch .

Back