Oak Bay cancels summer season for the Salmon Seeker in Kano Inlet.

gpm414

Got an email from OBMG yesterday stating that all trips to the Salmon Seeker in Kano Inlet have been canceled for the summer. They say that Transport Canada was requiring some improvements to the ship that couldn't be completed in time for the season. Pretty bummed since my wife and I had a trip scheduled in July. Since we live in Washington, just wondering if anyone in BC has heard anything else about this situation. I'm assuming Transport Canada inspects commercial ships for safety standards, etc. Seems like OB would have known about problems since the season ended last Sept. Makes me wonder if the company is having problems.

Well i can only speculate, but I cant imagine they just found out now that it needed upgrades. I think what you are wondering is probably correct.

Sucks! But theres lots of other great guides here!

Thanks for pointing that out. My heart goes out to the guides and crew who work their rears off day after day to give the customer a trip of a lifetime. I know that several of the guides have been at the Seeker for decades, I wish them the best.

Well i can only speculate, but I cant imagine they just found out now that it needed upgrades. I think what you are wondering is probably correct.

Sucks! But theres lots of other great guides here!

Well i can only speculate, but I cant imagine they just found out now that it needed upgrades.
No.

These changes have been coming for years now and none of this is new-OBMG may have hoped for an extension or an exemption but it never happened.

OBMG has several other operations to choose from. I'd just pick another destination and keep their other lodges' paying the bills. They'll put you on the fish somewhere.

alot of the floating lodges are having to put in septic treatment before they get their business liscence.. i have installed 6 in the last couple years for a few different lodges...

If you had you heart set on fishing that area just google salmonfishingonline and you'll find another floating lodge just a few short miles north of Kano inlet.

I've done both Kano inlet and Hippa island (just north) and Hippa is IMO better fishing for all species and much shorter runs from the mother ship. AND the beer and wine are complimentary. On the Salmon Seeker in Kano we paid around $20 for a six pack of beer.

Bummer about your planned trip getting cancelled, but don't give up on fishing the west side of Haida Gwaii, it's heaven on earth to anyone who fishes saltwater.

Unfortunatlly this is just the beginning there will be more of this in the future as imho we are not climbing out of this recession its getting worse ask any tradesmen where 5 years ago was heaven its hell for them now!!!I think thats about the 5th lodge I know of in the last 2 years thats have gone under....SAD...

Unfortunatlly this is just the beginning there will be more of this in the future as imho we are not climbing out of this recession its getting worse ask any tradesmen where 5 years ago was heaven its hell for them now!!!I think thats about the 5th lodge I know of in the last 2 years thats have gone under....SAD...
How true. I know of another long time (27yrs) fishing biz that's packing it in at the end of the season,simply put he said "time to stop the bleeding"...

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by wolf

"How true. I know of another long time (27yrs) fishing biz that's packing it in at the end of the season,simply put he said "time to stop the bleeding"

It is so sad that many of these people worked so hard for so many years to close the doors..... That being said I can say those that find the 2012 groove in social networking and blast emailing provides for a longer season and more customers but a lot thinner margin per client but still an overall increase in revenue........ However the change in quotas will start impacting next seasons bookings for many areas.......

Cheers ME

The people who can adapt and have the motivation to be successdul will always be successful. The people that choose to do the same old thing and blame things out of there control(slower economy, slot limts, less fish etcetcetc.), will be closed. Some people make excuses, some people make money. No different in any other business.

The sewer issue is hitting all the lodges along the coast. I know the lodge I use in Nootka is dealing with it this year. An extra cost at a time when revenues have dropped and cash flow is tight.

The people who can adapt and have the motivation to be successdul will always be successful. The people that choose to do the same old thing and blame things out of there control(slower economy, slot limts, less fish etcetcetc.), will be closed. Some people make excuses, some people make money. No different in any other business.

Vey well said!

Now if the oil interests, the fish feedlots and the government would just take that advice we would have a much better world.
Well said LP
GLG

I suspect the issue is the Salmon Seeker's gasoline storage. Transport Canada had issued a 'board exemption' in the past for an aft peak tank to store gas on board.

I disagree with Wolf on the economy. Projects are going ahead and things are getting made. I think a big hindrance is the dollar. Most of the guides I'm sure look at that one every day. The yanks aren't coming. I see discount flights to Alaska to boot.

Victoria shipyards are always full and getting fuller with the recent contracts. Housing is down but commercial and infrastructure is on the rise. The last few years were weird IMHO on timing. This year is more traditional with the winter slow and the spring coming in full force with projects and not being able to quote on everything out there. I have a good feeling for this year IMO. Things seem to be back on track construction wise for commercial and industrial.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tell that to the Wagon Wheel manufacturers, the Floppy Disk manufacturers, and the suppliers of parts to make Betamax casettes.

No matter how motivated or how well you try to "adapt", you can not always be successful in a market that is disappearing.

Sometimes the landscape just changes dramatically, too quickly, and you have to move on to another business/endeavour to be successful.

OK ill dis agree with you too sculpin :) as I look around just here in VIC and sooke and when i travel around up island and I see houses old business up for sale or lease everywhere i have feinds that are in trades 5 years ago it was booming now with HST it killed it!!!! and killed it bad I think there is going to be more pain down the road if anyone remebers the early/late 70s my mom and dad almost walked away from there homes cause the intrest rate skyrocketed people every where just got up and left.
now with more layoffs and the people who finaced a few years ago with no money down are coming up. they are house rich but house poor as if the rates go up there toast and I know a few of them that are VERY scared the blue collared workers. the other day driving thru sun river there is 22 homes for sale up there.....there the writing on the wall....... people cant afford everything with hydro/gas/taxes etc going up and up and the poor peoples wages staying the same tough times are coming.....

wolf

Disagree Wolf, things are getting back on track, US is slowly coming around as well, so far since Oct 2011 markets are up around 30%, that's huge. Now highest since 2001 in some cases. While you can say, well that's the market, not the real world, that's just not true, the market for the most part and as a whole mirrors the economy fairly well. Job numbers in the states for 2012 have been extremely strong (March was still positive but not quite as large as previous months).

Construction is definitely on rise as have a few relatives in it and they say the past 6 months have been their busiest in years. Things are getting much better, and the future is not nearly as dismal as you paint it. :). I think the biggest thing is some places have been unable to adapt to changes in consumer demand and preference. This mainly applies to large lodges.

One thing I will agree with you on is the rising costs of products and goods, this is mainly due to the large increase in fuel, and was just reading several articles on this issue and it was saying the biggest threat to a full recovery is $1.50+ /L gas...if fuel can stay lower, we'll be in great shape, if not, then it threatens economy, but with that said its quite possible government intervention on fuel prices would occur should gas prices threaten economy (oil prices = gas prices for sake of this post, you know what I mean ;))

Back