O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Wow that seems like a lot of weight, what kind of puller do you have, I don't think my Ace would pull that combination very quickly

Ace doesnt pull anything very quickly!!, but it will pull that combo, pretty much the same as I do and I use an ace;)

I generally set in 250-290', and I use 400' of 11/32 ground line. This much extra line acts as its own weight, I find. The last 50-70' always comes up dirty, so I am confident the traps aren't bouncing. And it gives me the flexibility of a deeper set if I want.

I think it all depends on the spots . I pretty sure we can all agree we have it covered from no weight to a pile of weight so i guess you can pick what works best for the area you fish !
Good luck

I'm pulling 4 commercial traps with only the ss in the trap for weight-500' of 5/16 polyester (sinks ) buoyline in 350' of water. Commercial guys don't weight their traps,as the important weight is put 20' from the traps at both ends so the buoy wont lift the trap. With some wind or tide that is max pull for the Ace.

I agree 100% about the important weight being on the rope. My idea is "somes good mores better" lol
You are running 4 traps with 500' of rope ? Am i reading that correctly ?
I think the reason the commercial guys dont need to weight there traps is because theres a pile of traps on one line ! Can't go any where ??

Outlook:

The temperatures are rising a bit now as we are closer to full spring weather. Vancouver is expecting rain on the weekend with periods of heavy rain on Sat and Sun. In the Squamish valley they are expecting some snowfall on Saturday but then it turns to a mix of sun/cloud as the temperatures here will begin to rise after Sunday as well getting into the 9-10deg range.

In the Georgia Strait the winds to kick off the weekend are a mix of SE and SW in the 10-20knot range so by picking your spots you should be able to find some pockets of calmer waters and hopefully land a winter chinook, some crabs and prawns! The fishing at “The Hump” off the south tip of Bowen Island is coming up quickly!

Read FULL Fishing Report

Tight Lines,

Pacific Angler
www.pacificangler.ca
www.vancouversalmonfishing.ca
Facebook

We'll has anybody been fishing from horseshoe bay north towards porteau cove? Going out tomorrow set some prawn traps and troll around? See you out there

That sounds fantastic dmurph, there must be fish in there if there not all scared sh--less, or eaten!

That sounds fantastic dmurph, there must be fish in there if there not all scared sh--less, or eaten!

Generally dolphins don't mess with Chinook. Would be nice if the Killer Whales would mess with the harbour seals instead of the dolphins....

Well, was out on Sunday, managed to get approx 120 prawns, 16 crabs and a cold bevy and burger at Bowen. Tried trolling around for about a half hour, and obviously the beer was more important! Didn't see any action out there, they were calling for a ugly day so I figured everyone else found something better to do, turned out great at the end of the day, and dinner was great!

Well, I can't wait to get my trailer queen back on the water...
It looks like this Sunday will be the first day of 2014 on the briny for me. Drop some traps, run some gear and enjoy the fresh air.. I am thinking of taching around the hump... Should be a few fish around out there.
Good luck to all this season and see you out there! ,Top Rod

Hey guys, I'm heading out tomorrow for my first fishing day of the season, running a Campion 602, heading out of Vancouver Marina in Richmond. What's the best spot to start tomorrow morning if were looking for some salmon?

Was out today. First trip of the year.. Started at the hump and then headed towards tunstal. Saw no boats and no fish. Prawning was good and we also limited on crabs

Was out on Saturday got into a couple of feeders between 8-12. Weather was rough and choppy so called it a day. Anyone else with success this weekend?
photo (10).jpg

Back