O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Fished howe sound yesterday. Not a touch but bait like crazy at tunstal. Polar opposite of tuesday when little to no bait showing and 6 or 7 fish.

is no one out there jigging Winters? This is a fishery I do not have very much experience with but from what I know these fish are heavily relating to both bait and structure, would jigging these bait balls and structure not prove to be effective? Would love to know if anyone has had success doing this as I prefer to jig over troll and there are not many opportunitys to do so on the south coast.

is no one out there jigging Winters? This is a fishery I do not have very much experience with but from what I know these fish are heavily relating to both bait and structure, would jigging these bait balls and structure not prove to be effective? Would love to know if anyone has had success doing this as I prefer to jig over troll and there are not many opportunitys to do so on the south coast.

Going to be a hard jig, these fish are deep...Howe Sound areas are 120-180 feet deep...right off the bottom. these fish are on the move too...never hanging out for long.

As a guide I get out there and fish an area hard....usually fishing the areas where fish transit through or hold during the right time of the tide. We move an to another area when the tide starts humping in a particular spot.

I also fish flashers most of the time...because it works.

Jigging will require getting onto the bait, if you can find it, and hoping you are on the bait when the fish are there.

we where out just on the afternoon tide in Gibsons gap

marked bait at 130-160 in 200' +

be a bit of a challenge to try and jig and then when the current starts to push ???

troll and fish flasher's cover ground

it mite work on slack tide but on known hot spots where guys troll it mite be that your sat right where people
want to tack through !!!!!!

good luck as stated give it a go

oh and not a touch but a nice day out on the water

Fished the slack tide yesterday afternoon not expecting much, but was rewarded with my first winter chinook. A nice one too - 17lbs. Purple onion flasher and 3.5 super trooper at 50'.

Was out yesterday afternoon at the Cap. From 3 to 5. 1 legal around 8lbs on a Pesca 3.5" just west of the Green marker on the first tack. Around 4pm we had a double of almost legals which were sent back.. Beauty couple of hours out there. Sun and calm waters:cool: Back out this weekend.

Was out yesterday afternoon at the Cap. From 3 to 5. 1 legal around 8lbs on a Pesca 3.5" just west of the Green marker on the first tack. Around 4pm we had a double of almost legals which were sent back.. Beauty couple of hours out there. Sun and calm waters:cool: Back out this weekend.

Yep, that Pesca spoon is a good one! Was a nice afternoon!

Saltwater Outlook:

The big winds have pushed through and we are looking at SE winds for the weekend of around 10-15 knots. As usual, the SE winds bring in the low pressure system and that means cloud and rain. At least it will be pretty much flat calm out at the mouth of the Capilano, and that is good news as we have some nice high slack tides this weekend. If you get out in the morning you will be able to fish the flood tide off the Cap mouth and W. Van most of the morning with the high slack on Saturday around 10:00 am and 10:45 am on Sunday. If you are thinking of heading out in the afternoon you can slide over the freighters and fish the flats in 90-120 feet of water on the ebb tide.

There have been some undersize fish hit this past week and also some keeper chinook. We are starting to see some bigger fish. Not monsters, but at least some fish that are not “just legals” and are starting to get into the 80 cm and over range. Overall, the fishing this year has been consistently average. The boats that are out there covering water and fishing hard have been consistently hooking fish. There is still a good portion of the winter season left so it will be interesting to see how the next 3-4 weeks shape and hopefully we see more of these larger fish enter the area.

The water is still very clear and we have been doing well on the Oki “Green Onion” and “Purple Onion” flashers, with a 5-6 foot leader attached to a 2.5 or 3.5 Pesca RSG spoons in “Uncle Bob”, “It’s Not” or “Bogart”. Cover water, look for bait, and keep you gear close to the bottom.

See you in the shop or on the water,

Jason Tonelli
Pacific Angler
www.pacificangler.ca
www.vancouversalmonfishing.ca
Facebook

Out from 8 to 1:30 with a little break at Bridges for hockey highlights and a quick bite. 1 undersized off West Van in 95 ft on a 3.5 irish cream. Marked very little bait.

Anyone out there today? Thinking of heading tomorrow and just wondering how it was.

Anyone out there today? Thinking of heading tomorrow and just wondering how it was.

We were out 9-12. Started at the cap and ended in the freighters. Nada.. Marked a bunch of bait near the QB. But no love. Saw one boat that got one. Pretty small.. Didn't look legal to me..:confused:

Back