Nootka Sound / Esperanza Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Nice trip. Was that the dock at Critter? Most Hali I've seen come out of there this year.

hot spots.....

hey Holmes.... we will be in Nootka from Aug.31 untl Sept 5... our 10th consecutive trip there in that time slot.
Our 3 boats will again be using Critter Cove fuel dock during our stay. Are you going to be in the area? ....be great to meet you...
and get the scoop on "hot" spots to try ..

Ya,nice spot.They sure dumped alot of $$$$ into that place!

From talking to the higher up's at Moutcha Bay Resort this year, they are going to dump a bunch of more $$$$$ later this year and next year also. Camping sites are to be increased, another boat dock, new breakwater etc. The rates aren't that bad for campsites in my opinion, if you book before the years end 5% off and if you stay 7 days or more 15% off for a total of 20% off and that includes boat moorage. Made 7 trips up there with them and another 2 trips booked with them for next year. Meals are comparable to critters, fuel was 7c a liter cheaper and you can drive to the resort with your boat. I will agree, it is a nice spot.

Dennis

Any fishing reports from Nootka recently? Hoping to kill some hali's this weekend and maybe get into some coho. Does anyone know if there is fuel still at Critter Cove????? Thanks Jim.

Thanks for the info Holmes! Taking pops out for some WC fun!!!!!!! I'll post a report on our return. Cheers Jim.

As far as fuel goes Moutcha Bay Resort is still open until late Sept. Here is their fishing report for Aug. 30/11:

Fishing on the outside remains steady; nice chrome Chinook and Coho are being taken daily when the weather permits the trip.

Bajo Reef and Ferrier point seem to be the best steady producers for both Springs and Coho. Some of the Coho being caught are in the 12 to 16 pound range now.

White and purple haze hoochies are still working well, but flashers and anchovies, or cut plug herring are always a good bet for aggressively feeding fish. For bottom fish opportunities, the outer edge of Bajo reef or two miles off Maquina or Burwood is still your best bet.Try jigging or anchoring in the 155 to 170 foot range.

Inside fishing for Chinook is still producing decent numbers, and we are starting to see more and more Coho each day. There are still large numbers of Spring salmon staging in Moutcha Bay at the mouth of the Conuma River. The best bite time for these fish is the first three hours of day light, and the last hour and a half of light in the evening. 5 inch 602 Tomic plugs producing well for these staging spawners.

For those of you who have been waiting to start fishing the rivers, wait no longer! There is now a couple thousand spring salmon and about 300 fresh bullet Coho sprinting up the Conuma river, we have enjoyed a few great morning trip’s to the lower river in the last couple of days with great action for both Chinook and Coho. Small Colorado blades, Blue Fox spinners, and small Coho spoons have been the best producers. The water is low and clear so you must take care not to spook fish with your casts, or when approaching a run or pool holding fish.

Dennis

Some of you on this list must be thinking that Moutcha Bay Resort is/are paying us for bragging about Moutcha Bay resort........THEY ARE NOT.........we just love the area and the staff & have been going to their resort since 2008, making two trips each year. Already have next years booked and also for 2013.........(hope we are still alive to make 2013) Where can you drive to with your boat and have a great place to stay that doesn't make you take out a loan on your property and have a good time. Have fished with other lodges/ camps and when you bring your own boat, you are #2 on their list, sure they help you out but not like the high paying clients. At Moutcha Bay..........it seems to us all are first placed clients. In Nootka Sound you have a number of lodges and you have only one that you can drive to. Moutcha Bay Resort and Tuta along with Cougar Creek , which are not lodges.

Cougar Creek has no ice, fresh water or power & camping only, Tuta has no fresh water, ice, power & camping only but Moutcha has all of them plus gas, diesel, propane, fish processing plant, restaurant, lodge, bar, yurts & trailer for rent. Their prices aren't that bad and the staff are great.

Dennis

Just got back after 4 days fishing in Nootka. Had to work to get our fish (all along Discovery/Burdwood) but had a great time. The weather was fantastic, seas were calm, and the scenery as usual, was breathtaking.
Fish are holding there but you have to find the right combo to get them to bite. Of all the fish we caught, only 1 had anything in it's stomach. Worked all the usual anchovie colors but gave up on bait after hooking about 35 very small fish.
Went to the spoons and the watermelon pattern kept my 76 yr. old stepdad busy all four days.
Purple Haze squirt worked also.
They are very close to being out of fuel at Critter Cove but Moutcha Bay has lots and is less expensive.
When we left yesterday the seiners were working in Hannah Channel and down towards the boat launch.
Hope this helps
Audie

Can anyone give me a heads up as to what is happening with the fishing in both Nootka and Esperanza, including off-shore?

I have some friends showing up tonight and they want to target Halibut before the season closes on the 5th, so that would be the priority, but they are also looking for Coho and if there are any still around, Chinook.

I haven't been out in a while, so I'd like to hear what is happening.

Thanks guys!

Can anyone give me a heads up as to what is happening with the fishing in both Nootka and Esperanza, including off-shore?

I have some friends showing up tonight and they want to target Halibut before the season closes on the 5th, so that would be the priority, but they are also looking for Coho and if there are any still around, Chinook.

I haven't been out in a while, so I'd like to hear what is happening.

Thanks guys!

Read page 10 of this thread
Directmule has recent reports
GLG

it's quite funny Mule, because anything ive read online as far as reports for them has been positive, but when i talk to ppl in person i hear quite the opposite, weird,go figure, im told by more than a few that the prices are too steep, to each their own i guess, if someone is happy with a place that they stay at regularily and have a good time then thats what its all about rite?.....holmes*

You have to remember this is getting close to a 5 star resort..........they are not cheap..........here are a few examples taken from their website.

Tax is included in all figures and let's say 6 people in total, with 3 - 24' boats, staying 4 nights at peak season.

For a "Yurt" it would work out to $2020 total or $336 @ person or $84 @ person / day

For the "Lodge" it would be a total of $1805 or $300 @ person or $75 @ person / day

For 3 "Serviced Waterfront Sites" it would be $1128 total or $180 @ person or $47 @ person / day

For 3 "Non Serviced Sites" it would be a total of $962 or $154 @ person or $38 @ person / day

Lodge & Yurts have full cooking, bathroom & showers in each.

Stay 7 or more days and get another 15% off site rental & moorage only, not the lodge or yurts, book before years end for next year and get another 5% off

Costs more than staying at Cougar Creek and since Critter's doesn't give their prices on their website, I can't compare it to them.

I know some sites are large and could probably handle two campers, you would have to check with them for rates on something like that. The best thing I like about them is you can drive, with your boat right to them. Now to some, these prices might be on the high side and others might find them cheap, for us they are not too bad, sure beats flying into some of the lodges up at the QCI's and we have always had good luck fishing in the Nootka Sound area.

Dennis

Read page 10 of this thread
Directmule has recent reports
GLG

Yes, I saw that. Thanks!

I was hoping to get some info on the Esperanza side and off-shore, as well as some more specific info on the Nootka side, such as are they catching anything at Hoise Point, or has it moved closer to Moucha Bay/Conuma River?

My inclination has always been to go to Esperanza and head off-shore if possible, but at this time of year, if the weather blows up, it could be better to target Chinooks in Nootka as you can keep the big ones, where over on this side we are restricted to 45 - 77 cm fish. Coho should be good from what I have heard.

Mainly want to get off-shore for Halibut and maybe some big Chinook, but that will depend on weather, which looks a little iffy for a small boat on Saturday.

If anyone can add to this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks everyone!

...moutcha 5 star?, really?, i dunno about that, fixed up and a pile of cash spent sure, but 5 stars?.....holmes*

Well if you took the time and read my post it say's GETTING close to a 5 star, I did not say it was a 5 star. It has come a long way in the last 4 years we have been going there and from talking to others that stayed there years before, it has come a great ways closer. When were you there last holmes? or are you just getting your opinions from a few selected few? Not about to get into a pissing match here but it must be nice to make reply with nothing to back it up.

Dennis

Back