Nootka Report

Dave,

Was looking through the rest of your pics from the Nootka in May deal and saw the squid. Were those caught somewhere around Nootka? Thats one heck of a pile of calamari. Also, are you the same Dave that I spoke to about diving last year? Heading up next Wed. for a 5 day trip to get some hali's and anything else we can rustle up.

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

Went out to Tatchu Point for Halibut - not a sniff. There were up to 9 commercial trollers working from there to Kyuquot.

I would have been one of those trollers Jim - a red 40 foot wooden rig that goes by the handle Storm Dancer. Saw a handful of sport rigs out and about then, as well as a few days either side.

The 20 fathom edge off Tatchu was quite productive for large springs, with a handful up into the thirties swinging aboard. Mainstay of the catch were very healthy twenty-somethings in good numbers.

The other place that was producing well was from Grassy over to Barrier Islands, again right along the 20 fathom edge. And while these spots were on again off again, when they kicked into gear the production was awesome!

Best success was realized dragging needlefish hootchies right in the mud (you likely already know that area is a major needlefish production area). My favorite there is the little J-55, but clear-bellied army trucks also produced. For spoons, try and get a half copper half brass McKnight needlefish spoon in 5 inch. DEADLY</u> whether behind a flasher or run just above a dummy on the ball.

Appears very much that this fish have once again established a pattern of running tight to the beach this year. And while the Outside Corner was producing as well, why run that far if you don't have to?! What we did observe when out there is that the feed base switches over to herring, so gear adjustments required for the offshore sites. And, we shook more than a handful of nice medium sized halibut while fishing Tatchu and Grassy - up to ~ 50-60 pounds.

Looks to me like you are in for a banner year of fishing up that way!
Good Luck & ENJOY!![^]

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks Noggin for your insight hope to do a road trip soon to Port before going to the lodge for the season to see you mabye tag some early sockeye.

As far as fuel in Nootka Sound Critter Cove is not open yet but pleased to announce the cheapest fuel in Nootka this year will be found at our new fuel dock in Moutcha Bay opening June 15th.

We will be selling gas, diesel, propane, ice, bait, gear and more. Working on offering all SFBC members an additional discount TBD soon.

Cheers Kevin aka My Escape

Nootka Marine Adventures

WHERE THE OCEAN IS OUR PLAYGROUND

Charter Packages or Bring Your Own Boat
www.goldriverfishinglodge.com

Camping/Chalets/Boat Launch/New Marina/Fuel
www.moutchabay.com

Email: h00kedonfishing@hotmail.com

Holmes was out at the lodge last week and saw a 45 hali caught by hatchery staff enjoying a day out fishing and heard reports on the radio of quite a few bottom fish and springs caught over the weekend and into the week.

Cheers Kevin aka My Escape
Always monitoring channel 6

Nootka Marine Adventures

www.moutchabay.com

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

Went out to Tatchu Point for Halibut - not a sniff. There were up to 9 commercial trollers working from there to Kyuquot.

I would have been one of those trollers Jim - a red 40 foot wooden rig that goes by the handle Storm Dancer. Saw a handful of sport rigs out and about then, as well as a few days either side.

The 20 fathom edge off Tatchu was quite productive for large springs, with a handful up into the thirties swinging aboard. Mainstay of the catch were very healthy twenty-somethings in good numbers.

The other place that was producing well was from Grassy over to Barrier Islands, again right along the 20 fathom edge. And while these spots were on again off again, when they kicked into gear the production was awesome!

Best success was realized dragging needlefish hootchies right in the mud (you likely already know that area is a major needlefish production area). My favorite there is the little J-55, but clear-bellied army trucks also produced. For spoons, try and get a half copper half brass McKnight needlefish spoon in 5 inch. DEADLY</u> whether behind a flasher or run just above a dummy on the ball.

Appears very much that this fish have once again established a pattern of running tight to the beach this year. And while the Outside Corner was producing as well, why run that far if you don't have to?! What we did observe when out there is that the feed base switches over to herring, so gear adjustments required for the offshore sites. And, we shook more than a handful of nice medium sized halibut while fishing Tatchu and Grassy - up to ~ 50-60 pounds.

Looks to me like you are in for a banner year of fishing up that way!
Good Luck & ENJOY!![^]

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks for the detailed report! :) :) :)

I do recall seeing a red troller out there, but didn't get too close to it. Did get some photos of the fleet. I'll see what I can find to post here later.

Curious - we were told to target our gear on 90' which is what we were doing. The only thing we got was a whole bunch of Canary Rockfish when we hit a school of them. Loaded up all three lines! Twice!

We did pick up a nice 35 pound Halibut but we were much further out. We also got several nice feeder Chinook inside near Steamer Point.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Any reports on the condition of the road into Tahsis? Not sure if should put boat in at Gold River or trailer to Tahsis for the week starting Wednesday.

Hey Woody,

I'm heading up late wed. night also but I will be on the south side of Nootka. (Cougar creek area) Hope to hit the water raonably early thurs. Haven't heard anything about the road yet. Hope it's good. Hoping to hit the highway if weather cooperates and see what's around. Maybe see ya up there. 1988 24 ft trophy alaskan bulkhead...Risky Business. Good luck.

quote:Originally posted by holmes

ya the road is fine guys...just take it easy as per usual...far as i know its fine and i live here....sushi will deffinately be able to be more specific...[8D]holmes*

&lt;snip&gt;

I was out last Thursday - Tahsis to Campbell River & back. Road was in pretty good shape. I don't know about the Cougar Creek Road - Never been on it. One day, I must drive out there for something to do.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Thanks for the info guys. Our 2 trucks towing boats should be hitting the gravel by noon Wednesday bound for Tahsis Westview marina for a few days. 1st trip of the season. Super Stoked! Normally put in in Gold river for last few years, but will try the gravel road option for a change this year.

Woody
When you get back please post a report and let me know if you would do the Gold River to Thasis gravel road again, or launch at Gold River and run up by boat. Last year I did the gravel road. Not impressed. Also not impressed by the launch either.
Thank

Just talked to the lodge the roads are good very little washboards and next to no pot holes.

I am headed back to the lodge Thursday to fish all weekend and will be all over the place. Will be monitoring channel 6 will either be running a 34' Maroon EagleCraft with twin 300 suzukis or my lodge guide boat a 30' Proline with twin 300 suzukis. Will give a full report upon my return. Good chance we will be off Steamer Point / Tachu or even out past the Nootka Light House depends on where we find fish. Dont be affraid to say hi......

Cheers Kevin aka MyEscape

Nootka Marine Adventures

www.moutchabay.com

Any further reports from up that way Fellas??
Kinda wondering if it's still Going Off up there...

Cheers & TIA!
Nog

Sorry for the delay guys but here's my scoop. Went out for hali's on thurs, fri to our usual haunts. Very slow. Not one bite on thurs so switched tactics on fri and found new area to try. Lost one nice one, boated one 20 and lost a little guy right at the boat plus a couple other bites. Was a bit sloppy and then the boat trouble began. Think I got water in the fuel. 3 hour kicker trip back in but better than the 500 bucks for tow. That was it for outside fishing for us.:( New boat is gonna need some fuel line/vent line mods.

Spent about a day and a half fishing the inside by san carlos and managed 9 springs up to 27. Actually the best inside fishing I have ever had for springs. Go figure.:D Saved the trip for us. Can't wait to get back in late July. Hopefully the hali's cooperate next trip. First time we haven't nailed our limit out there.

Prawning wasn't too bad until somebody obviously pulled our pots but I guess at least they didn't steal em. Brought home about 500 total between the 3 of us.

Road was pretty good up to cougar creek road then a bit rough but doable, just took it slow.

I found the road IMO to be great. I think I will drive there from now on to save the gear transfer from truck to boat etc.. The. boat launch was also decent. Maybe in low tide a different story. Great trip with sunny skies, not bad salmon fishing and epic hali action although nothing over late 30's. Prawning was best we've had out there, considering I'm sure we were looted on 1 soak as well.

Heading up Wed for a couple of days. Hoping this heat will bring in an early run. Looking forward to going up there when there isn't a ton of boats around. Any hali reports out there

Back