Nootka, Renfrew or Alberni - last week in September?

I

islandergold

Hey guys,

Planning a father/son trip for the last week in September (possible first week of Oct) and thinking of either Nootka (never been), Renfrew or Alberni inlet. Have fished Renfrew and Alberni many times so would love to try Nootka Sound for the first time but not sure what the fishing will be like that late in the season. We probably wouldn't venture to the outer areas, as we have a smaller boat.

Have most of the fish entered the rivers by then or is there still some serious Chinook and Coho around then, particularly around Critter Cove or Moutcha Bay?

Thanks and if there are other places you'd suggest we'd love to hear.

Cheers

I personally think Nootka is a write off that late in sept/oct. There is a chance, albeit a small one that you may luck into a late coho run with the chum but I wouldn't put money on it. Can't speak for the other areas

Renfrew for sure - if there's no springs around there *should be nice size coho and bottom fish to chase. Alberni and nootka would be boot city if they're not all up river already.

Thanks guys. Could push it to 3rd week in September if that made a huge difference but of course, there's no way to tell for sure. Could fish a few days out of Renfrew, then a few days out of Poett Nook or Bamfield as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think Nootka is a write off that late in sept/oct. There is a chance, albeit a small one that you may luck into a late coho run with the chum but I wouldn't put money on it. Can't speak for the other areas

X2 Went to Nootka late September two years ago and fished hard for 3 days with nothing to show, not even a strike. Finally went outside and got one fair sized coho that we lost at the boat.

none of the above...pretty quite for all.... perhaps Renfrew for Cohoes if the rains haven't happen...

Fished Nootka 3rd week Sept last year. Had double headers on Coho twice and a 18lb Spring outside at Bajo and a Coho off Maquina. Was very quiet on the inside. Weather can get rough that late.

In Sooke that is prime time Coho fishing! I would have no worries fishing first week of oct in Sooke for cohos! and some nice size aswell. some years many over 10 pounds.

-KK

Can be mighty cold on the water at that time. Ive got some huge coho in november fishing for winter springs! There always seems to be that one late stragler that ends up being fat like a football as he tries to gobble down as much food as he can before he enters the fresh!

Upper Alberni Inlet is still often good for Coho in late Sept/early October......if there's not too much rain. Lots of rain comes...they're gone.....

By that time most guys have taken their boats home and parked them. So you don't get much fishing pressure at all......

Coho are in Sooke in big numbers until 3rd week of October then drop off.

Back