Nitinat sockeye

In the river? I heard that the creek they spawn in (harbertson crk?) had dried up and they were piling up at the mouth with nowhere to go so they may have entered the nitinat

In the river? I heard that the creek they spawn in (harbertson crk?) had dried up and they were piling up at the mouth with nowhere to go so they may have entered the nitinat

Sockeye

Where are you seeing all the Sockeye?
There is a run that goes into Hobiton Lake but usually earlier than this,it's about halfway down the lake.
The only other lake that usually has Sockeye would be Cheewhat which is just south out on the coast and they start to show up in May.
How many is there hundreds? Thousands! Tell us a bit more.

Sounds like the Hobiton Lake Sockeye they beach spawn in the lake come November.
The Nitnat natives are most likely the ones netting, they have harvested them for years usually shorter nets near the river mouth.

I was lake fishing a couple weekends ago and a fellow fisherman told me that a couple guys from Lake Cowichan got busted for netting and selling these fish, I hope the story wasn't true but I wouldnt doubt it people around here are pathetic.

Back