Nitinat river

Northdogboy

So is the Nitinat that good or does it get as crowded as the big Q? Just wondering if its worth a 2 hr drive out to see if I may be able to catch a Coho?

Coho won’t open for retention until the 16 of the month. August 25 until the end of September it can be busy for springs they mostly stack up in a few spots because the water is often low. Sometimes people share the water sometimes they don’t often the latter at nitinat. When the coho are open it’s much quieter though, there will be lots of chum as well by middle of the month. The road is terrible to drive often very rough both from PA and lake cowichan.

If I was you and wanted a shot at a coho I think the stamp would be more productive of a trip maybe you have already been there. The cowichan will likely have some retention for coho starting first week of November as well it’s probably an easier drive for you but that is a month away at least.

Haven't fished the Nitnat for a while but Bears used to be thick on the ground at times.
I almost forgot DB thanks for making this point someone new to the fishery should know there is a lot of bears. This year was no different then in the past infact they appear as bold as ever.

I have seen one crazy interaction between a group fishermen and a bear a few years ago that gave me some perspective as to why the bears are not shy and now I don’t take any chances.

The day I went I was on the water at first light I bet a bear was within sight more often then not and the hole I got my two springs out of had a bear eyeing me while I got my fish it would not scram I promptly got out of there.

Between the bears and the road it does discourage people from fishing it and I can understand why.

I almost forgot DB thanks for making this point someone new to the fishery should know there is a lot of bears. This year was no different then in the past infact they appear as bold as ever.

I have seen one crazy interaction between a group fishermen and a bear a few years ago that gave me some perspective as to why the bears are not shy and now I don’t take any chances.

The day I went I was on the water at first light I bet a bear was within sight more often then not and the hole I got my two springs out of had a bear eyeing me while I got my fish it would not scram I promptly got out of there.

Between the bears and the road it does discourage people from fishing it and I can understand why.
Yes, the bears are bold on the Nitinat. I've had three very close encounters in the last few years - one earlier this year. Turned out the bear just wanted to give the ol' net a sniff. As soon as we dropped it, he came by, sniffed, and wandered away. Luckily we didn't have any fish on us (didn't want to join the snagfest near the mouth). As for coho, they can be incredibly tight-lipped as the river goes up and down very quickly when it rains. In other words, you have to have impeccable timing if you want to do well there.

The nice thing about coho is that the fish spread out after rain, so even busy rivers like the Big Q can offer some solitude.

Check the regulations. I know it use to close for a month. but was it for springs or Coho or a totally closed. It gives the fish a chance to spawn. I've fished it numerous times in Nov for Coho and had good luck, if you can get past the Chum

Check the regulations. I know it use to close for a month. but was it for springs or Coho or a totally closed. It gives the fish a chance to spawn. I've fished it numerous times in Nov for Coho and had good luck, if you can get past the Chum
It's closed the first two weeks of Oct every year. I think it's the 16th this year or thereabouts. Gives the springs a chance to spawn.

Been over a decade since I was out there. Loads of black bears and some tricky wading if it's flowing. I've heard it's a bit more popular in recent years, back then I might see two others fishing if that.

Back