Nightmare Travels

IronNoggin

Just returned from Ottawa as noted in another thread. Hope I never have to make that trip again!

First flight from Van to Toronto was fine. Left on time, arrived on time, and good overall service.

That's where it stopped.

The next flight was delayed due to "mechanical" reasons. Air Canada (all flights in this case) ponied up another jet, but refused to let me and my partner on it stating that was due to us having checked baggage. They firmly stated that we could not fly with out our checked baggage due to "security issues". More on that to to follow. Long and short of it we were delayed in excess of 3 hours, arriving at our hotel around midnight the day before we were to testify in front of the Standing Committee on Fisheries & Oceans.

The meeting went very well as detailed in another thread.

Upon our return to the hotel and restaurant next door, we were confined (along with several hundred others) by US Secret Service, RCMP & OPP. Could not access the restaurant,our hotel or even cross the street. Turns out Biden was staying at our hotel, and the security was downright insane. That security held us prisoner for six hours from entering our hotel. 9 combinations of spotter / snipers were observed on the adjacent rooftops. First contingent through the area was 45 vehicles. Then the main show at 105 vehicles. Then the follow-up of another 45. These included armored vehicles equipped with rotary 50 caliber rooftop cannons. And the usual host of black armored SUV's.

Finally allowed back to the hotel, we underwent screening via enhanced metal detecting, followed up by physical patting down by US forces.

Got to our room once again past midnight to discover our key cards had been disabled. Back to the desk, and a porter came with to ensure we could access our rooms. He also informed us that if we wished to depart the next morning, to do so before 7:00am because the whole place was going into another lock-down then.

Got up at 6:00 am (3:00 am home time), Had to walk several blocks to clear the imposed security area to grab a taxi to the airport.

The flight from there to Toronto was delayed. Air Canada had failed to ensure a co-pilot was available for the flight, so we sat on the tarmac until they could grab one from an incoming international flight.

That delay meant were were really scrambling to try and get to the gate for the flight back to Vancouver. We barely made it only to be informed we had been rescheduled for another flight (SEVEN hour delay) - once again due to the fact we had checked baggage which we were not allowed to travel without due to "security concerns".

Lost it. Went to the Air Canada service desk and demanded they put us on any flight, competitor or whatever. Best they could do was to bump us from business class to economy, five hours from that moment.

Made the flight. Arrived in Vancouver. No Bags. They are on the next flight and will be here in 2.5 hours. WTF? They just performed exactly what they said the y could not with our previous flights & bags. UnReal! Made to my partner's place well after midnight our time, having been in transit for twenty-one hours. Bagged.

Letters have been sent to both the hotel & Air Canada expressing our extreme dissatisfaction and demanding recompense. Pointedly CC'd to our Lawyers so they understand the nature of that demand.

Good thing the meetings & followup went well. One out of five flights went OK. Four out of five went south. Hotel was a disaster, a very expensive disaster at that.

Man, I truly hope I never have to travel back to Canada's Cesspool ever again!

Ticked!!

Nog

oh man. That sucks, thanks for making the trip. I took the ferry last werk and drove to Seattle to avoid our airports for a trip to Denver. Got a text asking if I would check a carry on for free and another asking if I would take a later flight for $500 gift certificate. Way better regulation in the US. Lots of flight f ups but they pay for it.

Flying has been a gong show since Covid. I’ve only flew a handful of times since but it’s always been a mess and nobody working there has any experience to solve the problems. Your story takes the cake though

First of all thanks for making the trek and speaking on our behalf.

I feel your pain re air travel.

Reading your story one can imagine the intensified security curtain that surrounds the US President when he travels overseas.

My wife used to travel 30-40 weeks a year in her prior career. Years ago she was in Adelaide at a conference and nearly stepped on the elevator with Bill Clinton , "Ma'm please wait for the next car"

Later that day she was leaving the Adelaide Festival and went out the back door of the theatre and the Queen was standing with her very small entourage about 50 feet away.

As my wife says "Air Travel is we're not satisified until you're not satisfied"

In Africa we fell asleep in the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport in Nairobi and thought we missed our flight, which would have entailed an overnight in the airport and been bad .

The plane was still sitting on the runway for us. It just cost me 100 US (in small bills) to handle the delay and "inconvenience" at the gate.

The air travel industry obviously had a terrible two years during the pandemic when restrictions choked their business down to as little as a tenth of normal. Naturally they are trying to recoup some of those losses. And a lot of their non flight crew employees found other work and haven't come back. I get that their capacity is reduced and there is very little stretch in the system to deal with all the weather, mechanical and human problems that arise in the course of normal operations.

But the airlines need to sell seats in numbers to match their reduced capacity to deliver successful flights. This is the area where they do have some control, but they're not listening or watching. Take some flights off the schedule FFS, you know you're unable to staff them all.

At our end of things though, us travelers need to reduce our expectations. The airlines simply don't have additional resources to surge during peak travel times, so we should avoid flying during those times if at all possible. Christmas-New Year, spring break (pretty much all of March these days), July-August. Of course this is not avoidable for some, but it is for many. If you don't have school age kids, seriously consider leaving those times to those who have little choice. Or take your younger kids out of school for that one trip. Flights will be cheaper outside school break periods too.

If you can't avoid peak period travel, then assume that there will be delays and build in some flex when you book flights. Avoid multi-sector flights if feasible, consider car, bus or rail travel to major airport rather than a short regional. An overnight stop built into itinerary might save a lot of headaches when everyone else is trying to rebook due to missed connections. Yes the cost of that hotel is your expense, but the airline customer redress system is so overwhelmed these days that you might not get reimbursed by them anyway in the event of a forced change.

Forget those one hour layovers between flights - lowered expectations is the name of the game these days. At booking time, think about what would happen to your trip if any of the sectors was delayed or canceled. Is there a way to minimize the impact by choosing longer connections or a different airport?

Thanks Nog for the work you do on behalf of all of us. I'm sorry to hear of your flight and hotel woes. Obviously you had to be in Ottawa on a specific date and spring break travel couldn't be avoided. The Biden thing was coincidence and you couldn't have known when booking. Not saying any of this was your fault, but offering some general concepts we all could use in the ugly new world of post covid air travel.

Good advice @sly_karma

Common sense in the age of madness.
I tell Realtors repeatedly, do not do multiple transactions on the same property on the same day!
The 'system' cannot handle it.

At least we don't have POTUS flying in with the Beast to royally screw everybody's plans!!

Back