New Zealand Shore Fishing

Jahfreddy

I am heading to NZ in January for 3 weeks on a holiday with my wife, and plan on bringing a travel outfit with me. I've got a 3 piece/6.5ft Ugly Stick, a good Daiwa spinning reel (I forget the model, but a higher end one), and am slowly reviewing NZ websites and putting together what I think may work in their waters.

I think it's also important to note that we are only travelling on the North Island.

I understand they use big-as$ surfcasting rigs
(10-14ft rods, etc.), but that is not something I plan on bringing with me. I am hoping to hit some rocky outcrops, piers, docks, and generally anything (saltwater) that is within easy reach of our travel destinations. Naturally, I may be enticed into taking a charter when I'm there .... [8D]

It sounds like they use bait a lot, however also use "softbaits" quite regularly (jigs with different tails), but I'm not sure what else. I am going to bring a few tried and true Buzzbombs, maybe a Stingzilda or two, the makings of a decent bottomfish bait rig that has worked for me, and a couple of spoons and spinners, but I am open to any suggestions SFBC may have.

Any and all responses are welcome, and most appreciated!

Many thanks! :)

Hello SFBC!

I tried editing the post, but couldn't figure out how ...

Anyway, as a newbie on this site, I just wanted to say "Hello SFBC, thank you for having me!".

From what I have seen so far, the information and genuine camaraderie approach have been excellent, and I genuinely value the information shared here ....

Many thanks!

Try a Kiwi... with a single barbless

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

Do a search for "kite fishing".

Just in case the salt water doesn't work out, they have some big a$$
rainbows in the river's.
do a google search for "fishing the Tongariro"

Here is the definative Kiwi discussion board: http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/

They have a specific sub board that is for shore fishing (Walk About)
When we visited NZ a couple of years ago, we had a couple of offers to take us shore fishing, which we unfortunately were not able to accept. Too much to see but I got out "kingy" fishing (yellowtail) out of Mercury Bay.
And trout fishing on the Tongariro and other streams. Fishermans paradise!!

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Jahfreddy

I understand they use big-as$ surfcasting rigs
(10-14ft rods, etc.), but that is not something I plan on bringing with me. I am hoping to hit some rocky outcrops, piers, docks, and generally anything (saltwater) that is within easy reach of our travel destinations. Naturally, I may be enticed into taking a charter when I'm there .... [8D]

I would imagine it's fairly similar to what they do in Auz. I tried it when I was there and it's fun once you get used to the rods and reels. We didn't catch too much where we were except for some smaller fish which I couldn't remember what they were called.

I watched the dude below fishing one day for a few hours and hung out with him. He was targetting big red fish and one other species of larger fish; he would stay up high on these rocky outcroppings watching for the schools making their way along the rocky shore; then he would send these hail mary casts way out there. It was pretty cool

Here is the dude....and you get an idea of where he is fishing for the "vantage" point and the second shot is the sort of coastline he was fishing. It was all about being able to see the schools of the big fish from up high.

IMG_1664-1.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

And this is how they transport their rods. [8D]

IMG_1559.jpg

IMG_1560-1.jpg

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

Back