New vs Old Scotty Downriggers

demco99

In the market for two electric down riggers. Are the new ones worth the price or should I just find some of the old model? I had almost no complaints with the old ones so am looking to see what you guys think of the new ones to determine if it is with the difference in price...

Thanks lads..

You are talking the High Speed/Performance ones versus the traditional like the 1106?

The high speed ones are great especially as you can imagine when fishing deep. Aside from the retrieval rate I certainly don't notice much difference. Lead balls go down at the same speed.....and fish seem to hit lures whether they are high speed or regular speed. ;)

Is that the only difference - retrieval rate(and digital depth counter)? I had also heard they are designed to run 20b cannonballs where as the older model was designed to run 15lb balls. Any truth to this??

No comparison between the old style versus the new high speed ones. The new ones are so smooth and fast. I've got both models and prefer the new ones. They deal with the 20# weight with ease. Yes, the old ones were rated for less weight. Reseting the depth meter is a single button push instead of opening up the old manual counter. I'd get the newer version if your budget allows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard of some issues with the digital display on the newer units and I think the new ones draw more current
compared to the old style

The new ones also have a light for early morning or night. The only problem is getting used to the quickness until my crew got the hang of it we lost a few cannon balls. When your looking to retrieve the last couple feet it's quick and snaps them off in a hurry.

No matter how fast you bring the down rigger ball up you still need to bring your gear up, so I find to check your gear and re set it's no faster.

Think of the crew you'll be using are they well coordinated & responsible or a more casual bunch?

Because it won't always be you running the gear no matter your best intentions.

No comparison between the old style versus the new high speed ones. The new ones are so smooth and fast. I've got both models and prefer the new ones. They deal with the 20# weight with ease. Yes, the old ones were rated for less weight. Reseting the depth meter is a single button push instead of opening up the old manual counter. I'd get the newer version if your budget allows.

Good points Gord.

Nick.....I think you have to look at your budget. You know how the old ones run.....if you're not too worried about the price difference definitely go with the HP.

Also good point that Dogbreath raised.

I've heard of some issues with the digital display on the newer units and I think the new ones draw more current

Both my original counters got condensation in them and in typical scotty fashion were replaced with the new style (has the on/off switch), heck they even gave me a spare. They do need more current, found that out the hard way first time using them. I really like the speed and how smooth they are compared to the 1106, but used the 1106's for many years and liked them too.....these are just newer. My third rigger is an 1106 and it seems like I could read a book bringing that guy up with a 15 pounder,so I just run it as a top rod.

Will be some good deals coming up.......

GnB

Watch out for the rod holders that they come with..............they sometimes break at the base

I replaced my 1106's with the HP 2106's a couple weeks back. Two trips in, the obvious pluses have been: speed; low noise level; and, the digital counter with the depth reset button (easy reset to zero) and, as noted above, no condensation issues. I won't go back to the 1106's and will be selling them in the near future.

Be prepared to replace the digital counter. Had to replace. Both, one after a couple of weeks, one after a couple of hours

When fishing dummies or multiple dummies for sockeye, the re-set button is the cat's butt for knowing the depth of your bottom lure, especially for the arithmetically challenged. My boat has my partner's old 1106's. I do catch fish when bringing the riggers up and reeling up the slack. The new ones are too fast for most salmon to grab on and most reelers to keep up with the slack.

I still use the old 2 belt units. I wish they would die so I could justify some new 2106's. I just cannot kill them. They drop the ball and bring it back up. Pretty simple.

I don't like the new failing counters, not a fan of the shape as when putting them in shop they'd fall over, already seen many needing new tops as the lock was broken. Most guys that buy go thru lots of cannonballs which is good for me :)

Ill be sticking with my 1106's for now, the faster retrieval doesn't make it worth the headaches and extra cash.

I still use the old 2 belt units. I wish they would die so I could justify some new 2106's. I just cannot kill them. They drop the ball and bring it back up. Pretty simple.
I wish I never sold my old two belt riggers. They were bullet proof. Upgraded the pulley and break system and they were awesome. Never had to take them in for servicing unlike my single belt riggers.

Still running the two belts. Changed out the pulleys when I went to braid but am curious as to the brake upgrade. Was it a switch to 1106 parts or...
Thanks, Owen.

Back