New to winter spring fishing

Ive never fished for winter springs and would like to give it a go this year all I really know is you have to fish deep and find the bait, but what kind of gear? Spoons, hootchies, bait and what colours work best in west van area ? And am I just off the bottom an certain depths? And any certain areas that produce more, once I get the basics I'll just get out there and giver, any advice will help

be prepared to put in your time,
best setup for me is spoons tied on a 6' leader behind the flasher dragged in the mud,
stay close to the bottom always, keep working that rigger so it stays within say 10' of the bottom, I actually like to see it bounce from time to time.
I tend to use either a blue glow flasher or a green glo, spoons vary but some of the winter staples are all in the 2.5-3.5" inch variety
in cop car, army truck, green/white glo, homeland security, peaches n cream etc....
main thing is put in time, cover ground from west van to freighters to bell, and parts of howe sound all can be decent if they are there. and in case I forgot to mention keep it on the bottom,
I'll be out lots, stop by and say hi
Tim

I don't know if you still can but predator charters/ predators pen used to write reports and magazine articles for years about winter fishing. He would list the colours of tackle to use. Mostly natural and lighter colours, nothing to crazy or loud. The harbor, the freighters, the QB marker, is not quite as bottom critical as the Howe sound and Gulf Islands, but keep the gear close to the bottom mostly. If you are in deep water in the harbor, say 200+, then 180-200 feet of cable would be acceptable, whereas the 1st narrows/Ambelside is right in the mud, at half that depth.
Tim is right about smaller offerings, the 4 and 5 inch stuff is usually to big. herring strip that you cut yourself is a good larger lure, as are 4.0 Apex's. 3 and 4 inch Tomic plugs are also good and seem to catch good sized ones.
Stay away from 1st narrows on the ebb tide.
The fish and bait move a lot so it varies day to day.
Good time of year to use the smaller 9" hot spot flashers, and a shorter leader, than the bigger flashers with their 6' leaders, especially if fishing alone. It makes the landing easier!

In winter, many of the springs are feeding on needlefish (AKA sand lance) which is why the recommendation is to stay near the bottom. Sand lance live in the sand and when you catch springs that have been feeding on them, the often have scratch marks on their gill plates from digging around on the bottom. The sand lance spoons that Andrew put out are excellent for this time of year as are the smaller Tomic plugs.

be prepared to put in your time,
best setup for me is spoons tied on a 6' leader behind the flasher dragged in the mud,
stay close to the bottom always, keep working that rigger so it stays within say 10' of the bottom, I actually like to see it bounce from time to time.
I tend to use either a blue glow flasher or a green glo, spoons vary but some of the winter staples are all in the 2.5-3.5" inch variety
in cop car, army truck, green/white glo, homeland security, peaches n cream etc....
main thing is put in time, cover ground from west van to freighters to bell, and parts of howe sound all can be decent if they are there. and in case I forgot to mention keep it on the bottom,
I'll be out lots, stop by and say hi
Tim

What he said ^^^^^^

For years I used to fish bait --- always caught enough winter springs to be happy but flasher and spoon is twice as effective as bait (really)

The one thing I'd add: try and find drop-offs---meat and potatoes for a drop-off--- approx. 30 meters dropping off to 50 or 60 meters---mark the contours on your GPS screen and try and follow them back and forth, depending on what the tide is doing

A little smelly jelly on the spoon seems to liven things up, also.

Be prepared to get followed by seals and sealions. They are brutal during this winter fishery. Their new trick: sounding down to your gear, following it, then snatching the fish off your hook as soon as you get a take down.

I fish 50 lb test, mostly to try and get my spoon out of the sea lion's mouth but also, stiffer leader seems to give the spoon more action

good luck

All great answers above for ya Hourston!! I am looking forward to giving some of Andrew's spoons a whirl chasing the winters this year!

As Hookin Up said.....LOTS of area to cover locally. Around Tunstall and that general area of Bowen can also be a spot to try.....but be prepared to cover ground with what can be minimal results with fish to the boat but always nice to be on the water.

If you happen to be on Facebook.....and new as you say to winters, have a look at the Gibbs Delta Tackle FB page; they recently put up a bit of a gear video for winters. I believe they also have a YouTube channel but when I was trying to get the video to a buddy who is a 'non-Facebooker' at the time it was not on their channel. In saying that it may be now as I had mentioned to them via a contact us link on their site.

Another good spot to look at some archives is on Bon Chovy's report/blog section; you can look back from year to year and have a look at the winter months if memory serves me correct and gather some good intel on there.

I am sure there will be (if not already) a Vancouver Winter Fishing thread start up sometime soon.

Oh ya......if you DO get any in the boat that are legal and getting bonked.....eat them FRESH! They are among the best eating you'll find!!

Hookin' Up x3. Wouldn't hurt using a blu glo flasher with a pale blue and cream hoochie, either.

Check out 'born to fish' channel on you tube. Rick Clark gives you an good education lesson. He is a gibbs delta pro staff and knows his stuff. He just put up some winter fishing tutorials. Probably the same videos as what's on the gibbs delta Facebook page. Good luck and see ya out there!

Psssst......don't forget your prawn and crab traps!!! ;)

Psst
There's no crab or prawns out there, don't waste your time!
Better yet just sell all your traps;)

I could watch those Rick Clark vids all afternoon, looks like I need to pick up a few things and I'm ready for winter spring fishin........I've got the traps have yet to try prawning in van yet that'll be next on the list

Lots of undersize at times as well so unhooking them without harm is foremost when we are into them, if it looks legal then we use a catch and release style net as many can be close but no cigar...

Psst
There's no crab or prawns out there, don't waste your time!
Better yet just sell all your traps;)

"Winter Spring" had me messed up with seasons!

Crabs....right after commercial season.
Prawns....also right after commercial season.

Better Tim??? Hahahaha.

Well, there is some sound advice here. I haven't been on the water as much this year as previous years but fishing winter Springs is challenging....as a pro...ask any pro....and this is what makes it fun and the rewards oh so sweet.

I would say...a lot of local courses and videos are about selling you tackle and hocking and marketing the latest sh*t gear. FAIL. Not that what they are selling you doesn't work... But I would offer the advice of fishing the peak times.....meaning small tide swings and if the tide is humping...forget it. Thinking like a fish is important....do this more and you'll catch more fish. That means not only fish tried and true spots but fish new areas as well...again...think like a fish. You can use Grandpas gear and do just as well...although glow DOES make a difference.

Pros do well because they fish the BEST areas af the BEST times... And that's when they get their chances.

Focus on RIGHT TIME RIGHT PLACE and RIGHT SIZE and that will bring you success. 8 hours dragging isn't going to help you at this time of year.

Another set up you might wanna try is .......

2 dummy large green hotspots one fathom each on bottom two pieces of gear , then another green hotspot with one and half fathom leader with your fav hootchie or spoon...
banging bottom and trolling a bit on fast side to cover the realestate.
big thermos of coffee and baileys.

Very nice ! .... time to get out there again :D ,looks like where i caught my first winter spring last year .

Thanks for the jump start pic's :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back