New to electric downriggers

jaymasta

I have just acquired 2 scotty electric downriggers and have a few questions. I will be putting them on a 15ft double eagle w/60hp and a 5hp kicker motor, space is very limited on my boat.
I currently have a marine starting battery that starts my main, and runs my fishfinder while fishing. Can I run the downriggers off this battery and expect it to start my motor after 5 hours of fishing or should I be looking at getting another battery to run the downriggers? I am dealing with a small boat, and have limited space and weight needs so adding another 75lb marine battery will be a big thing to deal with and setup, and I only want to do it if I absolutely need to, any thoughts.
These downriggers are a few years old and I have never dealt with electrics before, so I didn't get a manual or anything with them, how exactly do you operate them? It seems pretty simple, press the green button and up comes the ball but do you need to hold the button down and release when the pop up or does the downrigger stop automaticaly at a certain point? so I could press the button and continue to fish while it does its thing and brings the ball up and stops them when the surface?
Thanks in advance.

They are all automatic. Look on the switch. The bead on the line shuts off the unit when the cannon ball comes up. I use 1 battery. I have never had a problem. A friend of mine carries a battery pack incase he ever has a problem. They are great units. Life time guarantee. Just say you are the original owner. Willyd

Congratulations on getting some of the best downriggers on the market. [8D]

A couple of questions: [?]

1) Does your kicker motor have a charging circuit?

:) If yes, no problem.

:( If no, maybe problem. Depends on how good your battery is, and how big your weights are, and how deep you fish, and how often you bring them up etc. Bring a spare battery and a set of jumper cables with you the first time you use them - just in case.

2) How big is your battery, and how good is its condition?

Have the battery load tested to find what conditon it is in. If you can't charge while trolling with the kicker, you need to be SURE that you can start your big motor after fishing for 5 hours or so. Good idea to keep a long set of jumper cables onboard - push starting boats doesn't work all that well in my experience. [xx(]

If the load testing proves the battery to be not in the best condition, then consider replacing it with a large, fresh batter to make sure that you will be able to start at the end of the day.

Also:

Over-size your wires, and go directly to the battery with a 30 amp fuse. Use some anti-corrosion gunk on your conections to keep them from rusting.

Have a look at the green buttons - there should be a ring around them that when turned will keep the downrigger running until it is tripped with the bead on the line - or the weight hits the pulley and snaps the line! [:0]

Before you use them, take them into a Scotty dealer and have them go over them and set up the brakes and make sure everything is working properly. It's free, except for some parts replacement, and often they will replace for free if you treat them nice and buy other stuff from them. [8D] Be sure to check the cables, if in doubt, replace them - cannonballs are too expensive to lose to snapping cables. And be sure to get a set of rubber snubbers for the end of the cable. Makes snapping the balls on and off easy and could save your weights in a bottom hangup.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

Congratulations on getting some of the best downriggers on the market. [8D]

A couple of questions: [?]

1) Does your kicker motor have a charging circuit?

:) If yes, no problem.

:( If no, maybe problem. Depends on how good your battery is, and how big your weights are, and how deep you fish, and how often you bring them up etc. Bring a spare battery and a set of jumper cables with you the first time you use them - just in case.

2) How big is your battery, and how good is its condition?

Have the battery load tested to find what conditon it is in. If you can't charge while trolling with the kicker, you need to be SURE that you can start your big motor after fishing for 5 hours or so. Good idea to keep a long set of jumper cables onboard - push starting boats doesn't work all that well in my experience. [xx(]

If the load testing proves the battery to be not in the best condition, then consider replacing it with a large, fresh batter to make sure that you will be able to start at the end of the day.

Also:

Over-size your wires, and go directly to the battery with a 30 amp fuse. Use some anti-corrosion gunk on your conections to keep them from rusting.

Have a look at the green buttons - there should be a ring around them that when turned will keep the downrigger running until it is tripped with the bead on the line - or the weight hits the pulley and snaps the line! [:0]

Before you use them, take them into a Scotty dealer and have them go over them and set up the brakes and make sure everything is working properly. It's free, except for some parts replacement, and often they will replace for free if you treat them nice and buy other stuff from them. [8D] Be sure to check the cables, if in doubt, replace them - cannonballs are too expensive to lose to snapping cables. And be sure to get a set of rubber snubbers for the end of the cable. Makes snapping the balls on and off easy and could save your weights in a bottom hangup.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

My kicker does not have a charging unit, The battery is a year old Nautilus battery. Its in decent condition from my experience with it. I don't mind buying a new battery if need be especially if I can get away with just having one battery, I will defiantly be taking my jumper with me the first time to try them out and probably keep it on the boat from then on for safe measure. There is a ring around the button I haven't tried them out in the water yet obviously but I have seen them work on a bench but we didn't get into much on how the operate really. I use 10lb balls, I might pull them up a dozen times or so I don't know really it all depends on the day and how the fishing goes haha. We have all been there I am sure. I will bring them into scotty at some point before I use them and get them to give them a once over.
Thanks for the tips

Get a second battery and put the two on a switch so you can isolate one at a time. Electrics draw alot of amps and if youre fishing properly, youll be pulling them up frequently to check bait/ gear. THe last thing you want is to end up not being able to start your main.[xx(]

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

x2
get a second battery, deep cycle,u can charge it up after a couple outings

just turn the dial to bring them up, but have a stopper bead to set off the automatic stop thingy (sorry had a few cold ones)

I just sold my boat that had 13+ year old scotty electric downriggers. I only had one battery (good quality deep cycle) with a shut off switch and always used 10lb weights. My main motor was a 150 yami and a non charging evinrude kicker. I never had any problems as long as I remembered to switch off the battery. I have put in some long days over the years and replaced the battery maybe 3 times.
Here's a link to Scotty's web site;
http://www.scotty.com/scotty-support/manuals-documents.htm

While you can certainly get by with one good battery, for peace of mind, a switch and deep cycle second battery (about 35 pounds)is a better way to go IMHO as then you will know that you can start the main no matter how many times you have pulled up the riggers.

Too much water, too little time

Canadian tire sells a little gizmo called Nautalis something what it does it seperates your electronics from your battery and monitors your battery power, and if your power gets to low it shuts power of to the electronics, leaving you enough power to start motor. It comes with two key fobs that shut it off or on as well, acts like a night switch, on sale I think its $29 or $39 dollars and light weight and doesn't take up any room.

aug201010.jpg

You can never have too much battery power, If I only had one battery, I would worry about it the whole time I was out, regardless of how may "fail-safes" I had in place.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Back