New regs for fraser river

a month ago DFO posted lowest Albion test fishery results in 20 years.
and now in their wisdom they open it up in the river for 4 a day ?
that just baffles me.:confused:

Just remember,
52 different plans are attached to the back of a stack of playing cards, they are shuffled and thrown into the air to land with the plan of the year on the top...... lets try this one this time and see what we can ruin yet again.

Pathetic management ......... open more fish farms, thats the real answer ......... PATHETIC !

HT

They are really only allowed one good fish.

From July 29 (or whatever date) through aug 31 its four per day but only ONE greater then 50cm. it's ONE fish over 50cm that's about a six pounder isn't it? Catch an 8 pounder and your done unless you catch some 4-5 pound jacks.

Sept 1st onwards its 4 per day and again only ONE greater then 62cm (again less then 10 pounds).

I don't agree we should toss back a tyee when they can keep it in the river but its not as bad as made out to be.

The point is that if we are under slot restrictions in order to conserve endangered Fraser fish, why are they allowing a fishery in the river period ?

I agree with that statement craven and did indicate that in my post as well but it looked to me from the first few posts that the issue was its open for 4 per day but nobody pointed out the slot size. It's also closed until the end of July so the early fish are getting through in theory.

IMO restrictions should start from the river out not somewhere in the middle of the migration path but I guess DFO knows better.

One thing to keep in mind is that although this makes no sense to release a tyee in Sooke and bonk it in the river the people who don't have boats do also have the right to fish and for a lot of them that means the rivers because you can't shore cast in the ocean and get results really. So I don't think the river should be closed for salmon unless the salt is closed to.

With that in mind the reg should be 1 per day hatch only over 85cm... Which I bet most anglers on the lower mainland wound trade in an instant compared to what they have.

The point is that if we are under slot restrictions in order to conserve endangered Fraser fish, why are they allowing a fishery in the river period ?

Words of wisdom for sure.................too bad the fisheries managers aren't trained in the "wisdom" category.

The river is closed until the end of July. The regs are the same as they were last year. You can keep up to four fish but only one can be larger than 50cm. The purpose of this is to allow fishing and reduce the number of jacks in the river.

What purpose do the jacks serve in the river?

They serve none. They are immature fish that are sexually reproductive. If a jack manages to lay milt over a large females eggs the result will likely be smaller offspring. The goal is big fish mating with big fish. At least to my understanding.

Jacks serve a huge purpose if there are a lack of males in the river jacks make sure every female gets knocked up. It would also help with genetic diversity because there is little chance a 2 yr old jack is related to a 4yr old female.

Lastly the way some species of salmon spend different lengths of time at see helps the stream re populate if something bad happens and the majority of fish are killed on a particular year. Having fish come back between 2-5+ years means there is always fish returning.

Pinks don't do this and I'm under the impression that's why the even numbered year run got wiped out and has not re established itself.

Geez GDW, you got to much free time at work! Good logic tho' - thanks for sharing, maybe you should have been a biologist or something???

No doubt! interesting read and def something to consider.

Jacks serve a huge purpose if there are a lack of males in the river jacks make sure every female gets knocked up. It would also help with genetic diversity because there is little chance a 2 yr old jack is related to a 4yr old female.

Lastly the way some species of salmon spend different lengths of time at see helps the stream re populate if something bad happens and the majority of fish are killed on a particular year. Having fish come back between 2-5+ years means there is always fish returning.

Pinks don't do this and I'm under the impression that's why the even numbered year run got wiped out and has not re established itself.

I looked into this reg last year and was told it was a conservation measure. The smaller 2-3 year old salmon are far less likely to successfully reproduce than the 4-5 year olds. Older males and older females produce more fertilized eggs, larger eggs with a higher survival rate. The larger fish also dig deeper redds to lay their eggs which helps survival.

So with limited spawning habitat its more productive to let more of the larger males and females spawn while removing more of the smaller 2-3 year old jacks.

I looked into this reg last year and was told it was a conservation measure. The smaller 2-3 year old salmon are far less likely to successfully reproduce than the 4-5 year olds. Older males and older females produce more fertilized eggs, larger eggs with a higher survival rate. The larger fish also dig deeper redds to lay their eggs which helps survival.

So with limited spawning habitat its more productive to let more of the larger males and females spawn while removing more of the smaller 2-3 year old jacks.

Wow if you be leave that you will be leave anything. After handling thousands of adults at Nitinat and Sooke spawning fish 2 and 3 year old males can be more productive than 4 and 5 year olds. As for the females they may have a few more eggs but not larger.
As for age class 2 years always males 3 years 90% males,4years 75% females and 5 years mixed.
If you question my quote, I have been working with salmon for over 20 years.
Hope this help.

Wow if you be leave that you will be leave anything. After handling thousands of adults at Nitinat and Sooke spawning fish 2 and 3 year old males can be more productive than 4 and 5 year olds. As for the females they may have a few more eggs but not larger.
As for age class 2 years always males 3 years 90% males,4years 75% females and 5 years mixed.
If you question my quote, I have been working with salmon for over 20 years.
Hope this help.

Not questioning you but I went through this last year when I first saw the 4 per day reg targeting jacks. I learned what I posted through reading various studies completed in 2010/2011 and speaking to others. I would think it's these new studies guiding the policy of DFO as I can't remember seeing this type of reg prior to 2010.

Here's a link to a paper summarizing some of the studies on the reproductive success of jack spring salmon and why it's beneficial to the population to have fewer jacks in the spawning grounds.

http://www.fws.gov/columbiariver/Wo..._4a/Session 4a Summary - Breeding success.pdf

They serve none. They are immature fish that are sexually reproductive. If a jack manages to lay milt over a large females eggs the result will likely be smaller offspring. The goal is big fish mating with big fish. At least to my understanding.

Bifmalibu-- do some homework before posting such garbage.. and no-- I will NOT take my time to educate you. Thats up to you to do YOUR homework

Cuba, relax. It's an Internet forum not a classroom. I don't expect the information I read here to be 100% accurate nor should anybody else. For accurate information people should "do their homework". That being said its a great place to discuss, which is what this thread is doing and we are learning from what more experienced people know. My post was based on what I was told in the past. Now I know better. That being said there is no reason to attack my post. If you don't want to attempt to educate then don't bother weighing in with a useless, negative post.

Back