New outboard

Matty4x4

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 115 evinrude. Just looking for anyone with some first hand experience with the new etec good bad or otherwise. I was stuck on a Yamaha until the 10 year warranty was offered. Any input would be appreciated.

All I can say if I were in the market for a new motor for my 21' Boston Whaler I would very seriously consider the 200 Etec, but my old Merc is still doing the job.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new 115 evinrude. Just looking for anyone with some first hand experience with the new etec good bad or otherwise. I was stuck on a Yamaha until the 10 year warranty was offered. Any input would be appreciated.
I have heard nothing wrong with them EXCEPT.... Nobody else can work on them except a dealer because they are so radically different from all other outboards. I would get one because of the 10 year warranty plus the decent price IF and only IF I had a good dealer relatively close to home

buy from your dealer that is closet to where you fish!

etecs are sweet!!

I have owned two Etec's, 115 with 1800 hrs and a 250 with 900 hrs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new G2 especially with a 10 year warranty.

I love the ability to winterized them in a matter of minutes in your driveway, especially nice if you use the boat on and off throughout the winter. Also not having to worry about oil change intervals, just fill up the oil tank and run it. Oil tank does take up valuable space in some boats.

Having a dealership close to be able to look after any warranty issues you might have is a good point, also if there is any software updates it would have to be done by a dealer as well.

I bought a new 115 etec 2 years ago and have nothing but praise for them, so far no issues whatsoever. mine is on a 171/2 alum armstrong center console. I previously had a 90 4stroke suzuki which was a great engine and got very good mileage. my etec gets even better mileage and runs quieter. it trolls down very nicely and sips fuel burning virtually no oil.

if you do buy one make sure you go with the xd100 oil set up, it is more expensive but you burn way less oil, the engine actually gets programed for that oil if you make that choice, and if you do make sure you don't use any other oil.

having a dealer close by is definitely worth considering. I bought mine from lordship but they have since moved out to delta, lol. I am in north van so that was a bit a bummer for me lol, haven't needed to go out there but will have my 3 yr (first) service coming up in a year. haruna is now an evinrude dealer and service provider and are close, I have never used them except to buy a merc 6 hp 4stroke kicker from the boat show 3 years ago ( that motor has 1 hour on it lol). if any of you have any feedback on haruna maybe you could pm me as I will most likely be using them in the future.

I love my etec and like mentioned above it is so easy to winterize and also very easy to flush the engine after each use as the motor doesn't have to be running, fitting on the back of engine for a garden hose, just don't do what i did and use a high pressure hose (at lionsgate marina) on it, i blew the rubber gasket out and cheap bracket off the water connection, easy fix and was happy to put a better more secure clamp on that connection.

I bought a new 115 etec 2 years ago and have nothing but praise for them, so far no issues whatsoever. mine is on a 171/2 alum armstrong center console. I previously had a 90 4stroke suzuki which was a great engine and got very good mileage. my etec gets even better mileage and runs quieter. it trolls down very nicely and sips fuel burning virtually no oil.

if you do buy one make sure you go with the xd100 oil set up, it is more expensive but you burn way less oil, the engine actually gets programed for that oil if you make that choice, and if you do make sure you don't use any other oil.

having a dealer close by is definitely worth considering. I bought mine from lordship but they have since moved out to delta, lol. I am in north van so that was a bit a bummer for me lol, haven't needed to go out there but will have my 3 yr (first) service coming up in a year. haruna is now an evinrude dealer and service provider and are close, I have never used them except to buy a merc 6 hp 4stroke kicker from the boat show 3 years ago ( that motor has 1 hour on it lol). if any of you have any feedback on haruna maybe you could pm me as I will most likely be using them in the future.

I love my etec and like mentioned above it is so easy to winterize and also very easy to flush the engine after each use as the motor doesn't have to be running, fitting on the back of engine for a garden hose, just don't do what i did and use a high pressure hose (at lionsgate marina) on it, i blew the rubber gasket out and cheap bracket off the water connection, easy fix and was happy to put a better more secure clamp on that connection.
Buy this from etec and it will pressure reduce for you. I have a 2010 and have used the extended 7year warranty without any problems. Just pay the deductible $56.00

Jason at haruna a did all the work.

Attachments

• WP_20160929_09_37_42_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160929_09_37_42_Pro.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 97
good to know bones thanks for that. I saw those fittings and will get one for sure. good to know about haruna, I have the 7 yr warranty as well, will bring it in there for the 3 yr servicing, will talk to them at the boat show.

WTG Matty, congrats on your new motor, you will be impressed with that motor. make sure you end up with the right prop for your boat, I had to muck around a bit trying a few different sizes to end up with the right one, the one the book says is right ain't necessarily right, so make sure you can exchange that stainless for a different size if need be.

What prop did you end up with? They have a 13x15 picked out for me to start with. I was running a 21 on my old motor.

I have a 19 and a 17 as the spare, I am using the 19 mostly now. the first one I tried was a 17 and I got up to max rpm with some to spare probably would have gone about 300-400 over max rated rpm if i kept going, the 19 at wot gets me to just over 5700 rpm, I was at close to 6000 when I eased back while testing the 17 at first. I didn't have much weight in the boat at the time, I have since used the 17 fully loaded and it still goes a bit over the recommended wot range of 5400-5750 rpm.

Finally got my boat out for a run today. 15 is definitely not the pitch for my boat and the 17 isn't right either, turning 5000 rpm at 30 mph. The hole shot though! It's what I image being shot out of a cannon would feel like.

Back