New (Old) Lures

falcon1

I was recently given a bunch of new and used lures. I don't know what many of them are, or how to use them. So I am asking for help identifying, which ones are good, which maybe not so much etc. And please if anyone knows how to use the 'teardrop' lure of the smallish one that looks sort of like a bat that woud be great! I have also never used a jig before, so if someone could help me out with that, that would be great. The black octopus one looks kinda cool, and is small enough for pretty much anything. There are three of those. Are they for ocean or freshwater?

(Click images to enlarge)

From iPod 103.jpgFrom iPod 104.jpgFrom iPod 105.jpgFrom iPod 106.jpgFrom iPod 107.jpgFrom iPod 108.jpgFrom iPod 109.jpgFrom iPod 110.jpg

It's freshwater gear from the 70's & 80's for the most part.

The bigger teardrop spoon looks like a Manistee trolling spoon but it can be casted.

Even those massive spoons are freshwater?! I meant the tiny little teardrop in the 3rd picture. I think it is for ice fishing but there must be another use for it as ice fishing opportunties are limited around here.

What about that massive spoon type lure in the last pic? And all those jigs? Like I said, I'm eally curious about those black octopus shaped jigs (first pic).

OK I see it against the tape now it's large sized Manistee and could be used trolling for Lakers or Rainbows in winter.

They are still around and you see them in large lots on Ebay commercial trollers selling off their old gear.

And Yes they work.

attachment.php

Your snagging spoon is rigged backwards...
emo-coffee.gif

Whats a snagging spoon? And I will flip it around. That is just how it came.

It just looks funny because the orange spoon looks like it has two hooks on it.. The treble shouldn't be there. To me it looks like an old Manistee salmon spoon but the hook is on the wrong end.

Those red devils (red and white) and yellow jigs are what we used exclusively when I was a kid for pike
back on the prairies, also would get the odd pickeral on them too.
or sometimes you would get a pickeral on them and then a big butt pike would come along and grab the pickeral

Oh! The treble isn't attatched! I just put it there because I suspect that it came with that lure, but the hook was switched or something. And I can't flip the hook to the other end. The rings are solid.

Does anyone know what that black thing in the bottom left corner of the first pic is?

Oh! The treble isn't attatched! I just put it there because I suspect that it came with that lure, but the hook was switched or something. And I can't flip the hook to the other end. The rings are solid.

You can open the eye of the single hook...
This is what it looks like to me (they came in a tonne of colours)

Luhr-Jensen-F-Manistee.jpg

Your guess is as good as mine...... People used to run flashers backwards to change action so maybe the same deal?

Falcon1....."why was it flipped?"........because everybody and his dog thinks they have the magic answer to a "super lure"...and can't resist tatting and modifying stuff.

So one person thinks that they can make a tested lure beter? I'll try it like it is and if it is not working I will switch it back. I just discovered what the jig is in the first pic. It is a dancin' crappie jig for panfish. Do any of the flatfish look any good?

Yep....many people think they can modify a factory lure to make it work better......

My basement is full of lures that fell prey to that idea.....LOL

Be aware that when you re-open an eye on a hook and re-close it, that often will produce a hairline microscopic crack that will rot out pretty quick and the hook will fail without much provocation.....

What is the black thing on the bottom of the first pic and the spinner on the left hand side of the fourth pic?

Back