New mercs lifespan

I hardly used my kicker at all last year but I was in high current areas a lot where the main was just a better choice. Over 300 hours out of Vancouver as a sporty. I have used the kicker more this year but it’s just from being in different areas, less current, when we had that incredible hatchery coho and pink run that started early summer.

Smart craft control on the newer main like fog ducker, will add to kicker as well for convenience.

Twin kickers 🥳🥳
Haha, yeah maybe.
I've had a bunch of little stuff with my 25. I sold the two year old 15 prokicker (which was great) with controls and everything so the 25 would be new all around. Less chance of issues I figured if all was new. Well, that backfired. I've fought the cables all year. Bet I'm up to six service calls by now. I'm on the second leg too, well I actually bought a whole new engine so I could get it back up and running that day (I'll own that one). Rpm has been great and dealt with it every time but it's been a cluster.
So with two of them, is it twice the headaches or am I just happy I always have atleast one trolling motor working? .... I don't know. After this year I'm seriously contemplating just setting up to troll on the mains. It was really enjoyable in some senses.
I know the decision was already made for you on a repower due to transom config but if it was a new build... Any thoughts on a 90 CT right up the midline? Boat would control real nice with the mains around the warf and be great on the tuna grounds... Fuel economy would suffer slightly from spreading the mains at cruise. Nice to have the 90 for transiting slow zones and such (think Ukee). Less kickers to worry about (I can't think how I'd run the third nut with two kickers... . Weight isn't an issue aft on those things either.

I think of kickers as a get back home plan. I’ve been trolling on the main. Way better steering and control. But I’m just a wee 18’er and my main was cheap all things considered.

Agreed , 20 days ( above average i would think for Weekend Joe) , 8 hours a day , 160 hours , alternating mains , 200 hours a year on each , 4000 hours life if all goes well = 20 years of use , they dont owe you a penny after that , or trade em in after 10 years....
4 years of guiding and 4 years of heavy recreational and I have just over 1800 hours on mine. These particular motors got minimum 4000 hours on 30 plus foot water taxis from Tofino to Ahousat loaded to the nuts with passengers and their stuff from town. Up to 5200 hours , hopefully mine will last for 5 years

Back