New Kayak fisher

rockdog

Not quite ready for the breakwater or sooke yet. Still in training. But he did C + R a beauty 8 or 9 inch bullhead. I didn't get a pic of that one, only this small one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by a moderator:
This son of mine is a true fisherman. He has just as much fun reeling in a 16 pound chinook (which he did), to battling pinks and coho for hours, to little trout and small bullheads. It makes no difference to him, he just wants to fish. I had him at 10 mile point last night shore casting buzz bombs.
We were fishing in sooke a while ago, and he saw a guy in a kayak fishing. Ever since then he's been bugging me to get him a kayak. So I saw this kids one at Costco with an open seating area, and bought it for him.
It's a bit much for me really, but I take him anyways.

Excellent !! Yak fishing is quickly growing from fad to full-on means of getting on the water. I've spent many years yakking bait and its great to see so many more joining in the fun. Even my daughter at 6 years old is dedicated to it. She's been yakking for over a year now.

It won't be too long before your son will be wanting to hit big water and you'll be yakking right next to him.

Think about it: no trailer, so no tags and insurance. No fuel costs other than your truck. Good for your health and you learn that you don't need all that much gear to catch fish and have a good time. Plus, it amazing the conversations you can have while sitting directly on the water with the young'n.

My daughter won't go jet ski fishing with me. It either a yak or "no-go".

Well done Rockdog. i do both powerboat fishing and yak fishing and i find myself looking forward to the yak fishing more--just more of a challenge I guess--peaceful too. If you see me in a yellow hobie Adventure Island (with a sail) out in Sooke, give me a shout on 68.
T2

Back