New home for the Sculpin...the boat shed thread.

A shed of real beauty.

Spray on insulation on the inside?

No insulation. It's just to keep the rain, snow, and "pine cones (ha ha holmes!)" out:).

I'm looking into that textured paint to put on the ceiling to help cut down on the condensation though. I heard of folks using this inside shipping containers. It's supposed to work pretty good.

Sculpin,

Never heard of a textured paint to insulate, but we use spray insluation on the ceilings of our sea cans to eliminate condensation. It works like a charm... not sure exactly why there is no need for the walls to insulated but it works.

Sculpin,

Never heard of a textured paint to insulate, but we use spray insluation on the ceilings of our sea cans to eliminate condensation. It works like a charm... not sure exactly why there is no need for the walls to insulated but it works.

Is the spray insulation pretty thin? The stuff I have seen could have been insulation.

Finished off the back wall and put a window in it with some opaque fiberglass panels to let some natural light in.

IMG_1733.jpg

Ran some wiring, plugs, and a light switch. Got everything ready for some flat light grey epoxy primer.

IMG_1738.jpg

All painted up and ready for roof cladding and flashing tomorrow!!!

IMG_1744.jpg

Suns going down. Time to call it a day.

IMG_1741.jpg

Cheers,
Sculpin

That is a sweet boat shed Sculpin, good on ya! Will sure be nice to have the boat out of the elements when not in use. Leaving the front open or you putting doors on it?
Cheers.

That is a sweet boat shed Sculpin, good on ya! Will sure be nice to have the boat out of the elements when not in use. Leaving the front open or you putting doors on it?
Cheers.

Thanks Fish-Hunter. It will be GREAT to get her out of the elements. I can't wait to finally keep her all maintained and ready to go at any given notice. I'm leaving the front open for now but will probably put some lightweight gates on it. The tongue of the trailer actually sticks out a couple of feet.

Is the spray insulation pretty thin? The stuff I have seen could have been insulation.

It is fairly thin... 1/4" or so (ususally blue in colour). We have also installed a vapour barrier behind it - 6 mil poly. The product is sprayed in place polyurethane, I'll go take some pictures for you. If you want I can forward you contacts of mid island installers that we've worked with in the past. It works great, 3 years of unheated storage without a single drop of condensation.

The cladding showed up late this morning so we didn't get her finished today. Roof looks good though! We'll paint the outside of the walls the same colour once the weather get's better.

IMG_1751.jpg

I'm glad we put the back window in to let some natural light through.

IMG_1755.jpg

We got a couple of the lights installed as well.

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1756.jpg

Hopefully have the boat under cover by Sunday afternoon.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Looks great Sculpin. The only thing you should add , if it is not going to be heated, is a gable vent at each end. That will allow the air movement required to help cut down on condensation. No worries though you can cut them in later.
Scott

You sure do nice work--what temp were you able to spray at? Wanting to spray or roller the inside of my alumn boat project- pics in saltwater forum- but not sure I can get it to 72deg recomended for bedliner paint---any suggestions?

You sure do nice work--what temp were you able to spray at? Wanting to spray or roller the inside of my alumn boat project- pics in saltwater forum- but not sure I can get it to 72deg recomended for bedliner paint---any suggestions?

Find a nice warm shop to park her in or wait till spring. Seriously. That epoxy primer I put on there almost totally failed. I'm going to have to due a lot of touch up in the spring on the frame. Seems to be ok on the cladding. Just too cold and moist to put on right now. Slowly curing but is still soft to date and still smells like it is kicking off.

Nice boat there MCRACER! Look forward to more pic's.

Well we made it! The roof is complete. Lights are temporarily hooked up to an extension cord. Time to park my gal in her new home. I'm so stoked because it could snow tonight.

IMG_1765.jpg

Pretty good lighting in there. Lot's of projects are going to get done now.

IMG_1758.jpg

I am about to back her in there right after I post this. I'll post up a pic of her in her new home once she is settled in and I don't drive through the back wall :D . Wish me luck.

Cheers,
Sculpin

OK I think one has to make the bed for his sweetheart before tucking her in right?

I cleaned up all the debris and raked and shoveled the area before putting her to bed.(This is temporary until I get a load of fresh drive way chips in).

IMG_1767.jpg

All set in her new home. I think she likes it!!!

IMG_1773.jpg

My good buddy Rob Parker who helped me finish off the project today.

IMG_1774.jpg

A happy captain ready for the next project.

IMG_1769.jpg

Thanks for following along. The Sculpin is now a happy girl in her new home out of the weather ready to be improved upon.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Sculpin, that is one nice shed there. Very well done, good on ya!

BTW I see that you have built it to accommodate for "Two-Foot-Itis".

Way to go, looks great!:D:cool:

Great project, thank you for sharing. I feel that I have learned a thing or two from your shared experiences.

Sculpin, that is one nice shed there. Very well done, good on ya!

BTW I see that you have built it to accommodate for "Two-Foot-Itis".

Way to go, looks great!:D:cool:

Thanks F-H. Yeah I kind of had in mind to build it big enough that it could accommodate a larger vessel in the future. My only regret so far is that I didn't make it a bit taller. Oh well if it comes to that down the road I have the technology to raise it lol.

Great project, thank you for sharing. I feel that I have learned a thing or two from your shared experiences.

Like that boats are expensive!!!

Ha ha. Thanks Gunsmith.

Back