New Forum Format - a few tips/tutorials

Pippen

Hey all,

Some of us who are also over on BCFR have used this version of the software and there are some things you are going to want to do, some of which are covered in the "everyone make it" thread. But if you want a few quick ones in getting set up here they are in a point form.

• In the top right hand corner of the main page you will see some drop downs that state 'notifications', my profile, settings etc.
  • "My profile" takes you to "your profile" page where you can add info about yourself, there will be links to albums you may create etc.
  • "Notifications" will be if you have a private message, contact request etc. You will notice it if you happen to get one. On the other forum they formatted it so it would turn green in colour to let you know and draw your attention to it.
  • "Settings" is what you REALLY want to get into. Click on settings and you will see a number of 'folders' all down the left hand side of the page.
  • 'General Settings' is where you want to go into first; go through there and set the preferences to how you would like them. You may want to enable things like 'allow private messages', 'allow e-mails', e-mail a notification of personal messages etc.
  • THIS is also where you will see you have to set your personal settings like your Time Zone as it will be 'zeroed' out on Greenwich Mean Time and you have to set yours to PST.
  • The "subscription" is one you may want to look at too. For me...I just set it to 'unsuscribe' as when I come on the forum I click the "What's New" tab in the upper left hand of the page and I can just see what threads are new or which ones have had new posts added since the last time I was on the forum.
  • Other settings you may just want to leave as they are or you can tinker with them; except for the "EDITOR" setting. Most have a decent description or a 'help' link associated with them.
  • If you want to use "smileys"/images in your posts you need to check off the "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing". If you don't, you will only be able to type more simplified 'text' replies to any threads. Now you may be cool with that but just so you know the smiley's won't appear or give you the option to have in the 'body' of your post, just as a heading. (you'll see in the other thread where holmes was having probs on about page 7)
  • ONCE you change all your preferences on that "General Settings" page be sure you scroll right down as in the bottom right hand corner there is a "Save Changes" button; and if you don't press that you're not gonna save the changes you just made.
  • Next one would be again on the main settings page is to go into "Profile Privacy". I don't know about the rest of you but I only want "members" to see my profile. For me...I am fine with any 'member' of the forum but I don't want anyone lurking to be able to see my info. You will see there are 4 options there to choose from and "everybody" means "everybody with a computer or internet access". ;)
  • You will see in there you can limit it to "friends" or "contacts"....don't get that complicated yet as you CAN add members to a friend list.
  • If you go back out to the main 'settings' page you will see "edit profile" which is where you can really just add in personal info about yourself if you so choose. Just so if someone clicks on your profile as a 'member' (if set properly) they can see a bit about you. For example; holmes could put.....I cheered for a crappy hockey team for a bunch of years until they finally won the cup. They got dismantled and now my team barely holds it own. :p
Posting

• It's pretty straight forward but if you have enabled the proper 'editor' as noted by above you will see if you click on 'reply' to a thread you have the option slightly below the text box to the right to "go advanced". This is where you have the options of adding in your smileys and more advanced "editing" options to add into the thread like different sized text, colours blah blah blah.
These are just a few of the things I would do right away to ensure you're set up properly...not scratching your head or ready to punch your monitor.

There is a "help guide" if you click on this link http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/faq.php which is located among the drop downs you see on the main page to the left such as "New Posts", Private Messages, Community etc. Many, many people aren't going to concern themselves too much with a lot more than this basic set up but there is plenty you can do. Just click on my "profile" and you'll see how you can start playing around with settings etc. I am no expert.....but having used this version of the software for a while I thought I could lend a hand to those who were just using it for the first time.

Maybe if others want to tackle some other topics like "avatars" etc or other things you figure out, feel free to add to this thread. I just wanted to give a quick run down of a few things to do right off the bat, but a cold beer with some buddies is calling so I am not going to type too much more for right now. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
great tips Pippen,thanks,

p.s. my "finger" would have had a blister on the end of it had I ever written out a post like that:D;)

There is one thing I prefered with the old forum setup. When I logged on, the latest posts were on the front page . Now the order is totally reversed so that the latest post to a topic is at the back. Kind of a pain to have to click on "last page " and then look to see that page number, then go page by page til you find the last one you read on that topic. I sure liked it better the old way where you click on a thread and the latest post was there. Maybe there is a way to reverse the order but I haven`t found it yet.

There is one thing I prefered with the old forum setup. When I logged on, the latest posts were on the front page . Now the order is totally reversed so that the latest post to a topic is at the back. Kind of a pain to have to click on "last page " and then look to see that page number, then go page by page til you find the last one you read on that topic. I sure liked it better the old way where you click on a thread and the latest post was there. Maybe there is a way to reverse the order but I haven`t found it yet.

Might want to have a look through your settings? I sink you might have clicked somethin

Reads all normal for me

Thanks, Lipripper.
Went to general settings and found a drop down to sort posts with newest at front . I had not changed anything so I presume that the default is to have oldest post to front. All better now, LOL !!!

Back