New boathouse walls ceiling..what to use?

Islandgirl

We are building a new shop with boat part and I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with osb or plywood on walls. The boat will be going into it still faily wet from being washed after use.

What about the ceiling? I saw a shop that had obs with a baked on enamel finish, but no one can find it in the comox valley.

P1010005.jpg

P1060017.jpg

That's one nice shed there;).

What ever you use on the walls, Plywood, OSB, or Drywall, I would recommend Painting for sure. It will help prevent mildew and makes it easier to clean, and if you use a lighter color, then it will brighten up the bay. Plywood and OSB are nice in the regard that if you want to put something up on the walls then you don't always have to look for a stud, unless it's something really heavy. Also an exhaust fan(s) to remove the moist air will pay dividends as well.

Did you build the boat house big enough to account for two-foot-itis?:p

Nice looking shop
I would definitely use plywood. OSB swells with moisture, it looks kind of ugly too. Plywood is more rigid. You might want to consider screwing it on. Then easy to pull off if you want to add plumbing or electrical later. Small cost difference and plywood holds screws much better.
To me its a no brainer.
Nice to have is hot and cold water hose bibbs. Get dual type frost free. I use it often. Nice to have hot water for washing things.

Eastpoint

Thats not a boat house. That looks more like a new shopping center. That is huge. I will have to drop in one of these days on my way to work and have a look.

That's one nice shop you have there Islandgirl. I'm totally jealous.

As for your question, all of them will work, it just depends on what you want to get out of it.

OSB is the cheapest at around $8,00 a sheet for 3/8ths. Not water proof, but resistant to mould etc.
Drywall is next at about $10.00 a sheet for 4X8. Designed for the job, but in high moisture situations can mould or even break down over time.
Plywood costs the most at around $14.00 a sheet for 1/2 inch. resists mould and won't come apart unless it's soaked for long periods of time.

All three will do the job but Fish-Hunter is right. If you want any kind of longevity out of any of them you need to paint it. All wood products require a base coat of stain sealer or you get the yellow tannins from the wood bleeding through the paint, no matter how many times you paint it. I'd recommend one of the KILZ products with a really good exterior paint over top. I prefer to use latex products, but oil's good too, just messier. Semi gloss will clean easier than satin or eggshell.

If you want to go crazy, and moneys no object, I'd go plywood and then put FRP panels on the lower four feet. FRP's are Fibreglass Reinforced panels and are used in all kinds of high traffic and moisture applications. They're an 1/8th of an inch thick and glue on over any of the products you mentioned. Once they're properly glued in place they're almost indestructible plus they're completely water proof. Take a pressure washer to them and it's all good. The only issue is that they're not cheep, something like $30-60 each for a 4X8 panel. That's why I'd only do the lower wall where dirt and damage are likely to be an issue.

This looks like it's going to be a long term investment for you so it might be worth taking a look at.

It really is a tough call what to use..
Our builder says 3/8 plywood it garbage..then ends buckle.. they are making it too cheap these days.
obs 8$ sheet
3/8 plywood 11.20
1/2 plywood 15...still have knot holes etc...that are ugly..so need to go to GIS plywood..not sure of that cost.
I think I will have a look at T &G edge gold obs 17.46
I will look at those fiberglass panels maybe for the ceiling.. by the time you pay someone to tape and mud drywall it wont be cheap.

Fish-Hunter..it will accomodate 2 ft itis BUT there will be NO money left after building.. the shop is BIGGER than the house we will be building..hope to get it right this time.
I have put in the hot and cold water outside tap, I think that will be handy thing, and ceiling fans, and a floor drain.

I am a Carpenter and IMHO your best bet for durability and wash-ability would be 5/8"s Drywall with FRP paneling installed over it. This stuff is sweet for shops and industrial aplications because you can pressure wash it and your shop will look like a Lab when your done!

Edit- Looks like Bassblaster beat me to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my shop I used mildew resistant drywall and covered the bottom five feet with galvanized sheets. I can't remember the price but I do remember it was way cheaper than anything else I could find at the time even after beading the bottom along the floor with the best caulking I could get.
Looks like the wealth of the oilsands is making it's way to the Island.

Hey Islandgirl,

IMHO using the FRP's on the ceiling wouldn't be worth it. Plus, from experience mounting it on the ceiling is a major pain in the you-know-whatzit. G1S pine ply runs about $27.00 a sheet.

Looks like you have it covered here IG with everyone's $.02, FRP wouldn't be worth the trouble on the ceiling, drywall finshed will run $1.50/sq ft for level 4 (paintable finish). The key will be good air movement. Good supply air and good exhaust will keep the drywall from going mould or punky. More CFM's the better (within reason). FRP's for the first course of wall sheeting whatever you decide on is recomended. If you do go with drywall (personally I wouldn't for the first four feet), keep it off the floor an inch so the water won't wick up the wall. Feel free to PM me for advice... I'm a commercial contractor here in Victoria.

I have decided on plywood for the walls. I had the builder do concrete for the first 6 inches off the floor so it can be hosed out. (code required 6 inches concrete on the outside before siding anyways. I just scooped an extra 5 foot fan froom the husband (no room for it on his side with car hoists/lights) so I will have 2 on my side. I looked at at shop that had a special OSB with a baked on super glossy enamel, but slegg and central builders say they cant find it anywhere ( it came from slegg originally) If anyone has seen it around on the island please let me know?

Gunsmith..thank goodness for the oilsands! This country would be in pretty poor shape without. That wealth makes it right across this cournty :p
I am all for dirty oil...and we need it on our boats to get out fishing :p

Back