Needle Fish hootchie

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey guy's I picked up some glow green splater back needle fish hootchies which I want to try this weekend. Anybody have a recommend leader length for these things? I am planning on using an 3/0 owner with a swivel followed with some glow beads to position the hook near the end of the hootchie. I was also planning on using 60lb leader to get extra action from the flasher. Anything wrong with this setup?

Also what would the recommend leader length be for spoons behind a flasher for winters?

Capt

32" t0 36" leader should be good, I would use 40 lb leader line but thats up to you.
thats a good squirt, the Yamashita double glow works really well.

I would go 36" from back of flasher to nose of hoochy, all hardware included.....for hoochy.

You didn't say what size spoon you were using......

if it's a coho killer (which works on Chinooks very well) I'd go about 38".

If it's a 3 1/2 coyote or Silver Horde......I'd start out at about 58 inches......and if no hits go longer progressively up to 72 inches.

Boat speed can make a difference on action on particular length of any leader.

stick with 40lb test - 60lb is a bit too stiff and I usually go one arms length and experiment shorter or longer from there.

I fish alot of hootchies and don't go much more then 36" to often. I had best luck this time last year with the cuttle fish double glow splatter on a 30" 60 pound leader with blue beads. I love the look of the blue beads and the fish seem to aswell. I heard once that a squid when frightened goes blue??? Anyone want to correct me if im wrong.

I love the owners and have even larger hooks then that on them. the 60 leader gives them a great whip at 30" back!

-KK

Back