Need help making a decision- nootka or Hardy mid August?

Based on your boat size and your "passengers" I'd lean to Nootka or better yet uky. Chasing fish up hardy way you better be prepared for open ocean conditions. You may want to consider telegraph cove as well. Nice moorage and pretty sheltered from the big swells! Good luck to you either way!

Based on your boat size and your "passengers" I'd lean to Nootka or better yet uky. Chasing fish up hardy way you better be prepared for open ocean conditions. You may want to consider telegraph cove as well. Nice moorage and pretty sheltered from the big swells! Good luck to you either way!

Wife and I are fishing out of telegraph for 10 days in July, she loves it there! Been going every year for the past 7 years.

I'd do Nootka any day. Trailering to a place like Moutcha Bay is easy (about 40 mins from Gold) and the facilities are amazing. It is a bit of a run to get to the fishing as compared to Critter Cove but IMO well worth it. The restaurant is good, they often have live music...it's always nice to sip a beer while someone else packs and freezes your fish. The trip from Moutcha to the lighthouse is ~40 mins but there is several spots enroute (like Hoiss Pt, Camel Rock, San Carlos, Strange Isl) that all offer good fishing. Nootka is usually calm til mid afternoon so you'll be coming in with the waves.

Forgot to mention I will have two prairie boys with me, who kind of get seasick as well, and my boat is a 19ft campion explorer. Don't mind a little weather but not crazy about big waves and swells. Kind of wondering if Hardy would be slowing down that time of year?

Stay away from Winter Harbour-with those kind of partners you have more flat water choices in and around Nootka. I love WH and fish it 8 or so times a year but you really need none sea sick friends and very good luck with weather. If you want to fish WH send me a PM and I will help you.

Stay away from Winter Harbour-with those kind of partners you have more flat water choices in and around Nootka. I love WH and fish it 8 or so times a year but you really need none sea sick friends and very good luck with weather. If you want to fish WH send me a PM and I will help you.

Thanks! Been reading some of your post on the forum, you sure sound like the guy to get info from that area.

Find Spring Fever's Nootka write up. Salmon University maybe. It is excellent and helped many of us do well our first few times there.

Hi guys, I have not confirmed the report but I was told at a pacific salmon foundation dinner that the road from Gold River to Tashis has been paved for the most part, still have to confirm it.If anybody on this site has recent info pass it on.

just to confirm, there has been some paving according to my buddy Larry, about 60 percent.

More like 25-30% paved, also there are 3 huge hills, 2 are 16% grade and 1 is 18% so make sure your trailer brakes are working very well. I almost had a wreck one time when the truck brakes overheated

Back