Need help making a decision- nootka or Hardy mid August?

tidal shot

Crew Member
Have permission from the wife to go fishing from aug 12-19 any where on the island. I am torn between Nootka/Tahsas or port Hardy? Need a push in one direction or the other, want to try to book something soon.

Thanks.

If trailering your boat to Nootka I would launch in Gold River cause the road is paved to there, as the Tahsis road can be pretty hard and super dusty (majority of road is dirt and washboard). You can still access Esperenza with a little more time on the boat, way easier than going to tahsis by vehicle. Fishing is awesome by far my most favorite area to fish that time of year. Im sure someone will say the same about Hardy and rightfully so. IMO I would go to the area I havent been before. Either way hats off to the wife..... your winning! cheers

Dont forget Ucluelet this time of year, that when the tyee's run through, easy access, good roads and nice facilities.

Both are awesome. Quatsino sound is pretty remote and less traveled, but the Halibut, Snapper, Ling, Salmon fishing is incredible. Qualicum Rivers is where we stayed and it was great. Most of the fishing we did was on the outside and the weather was a definite factor - very bumpy at times. Nootka is not too tough to get to. Just a half hour run from Gold River. We stay at Critter Cove and it is really a good operation. You can fish in Nootka sound all day and there are tonnes of spots to pick from and the springs will be in at that time of year in good numbers. On the inside waters, Nootka is pretty easy boating. If you run outside and go to Bajo reef there are loads of all sorts of fish but it is a bit of a run. Find a good place to bunk at either place and you will be a happy fisherman. You can always do the one you don't choose next year. Both are adventures. Winter Harbour in Quatsino is pretty wild. Critter Cove is a pretty darn comfortable place for a week's fishing.

Forgot to mention I will have two prairie boys with me, who kind of get seasick as well, and my boat is a 19ft campion explorer. Don't mind a little weather but not crazy about big waves and swells. Kind of wondering if Hardy would be slowing down that time of year?

Forgot to mention I will have two prairie boys with me, who kind of get seasick as well, and my boat is a 19ft campion explorer. Don't mind a little weather but not crazy about big waves and swells. Kind of wondering if Hardy would be slowing down that time of year?

Started out in "Nootka" back in the late 1980's in a 12' Thorns with a 7 1/2 merc and had no problem at that time of the year, even went out to the lighthouse. Mid Aug should
be hot inside..................as it's been over the last few years, but then again you might say I'm hooked on "Nootka"

As stated, Nootka is good for flat landers given lots of inside calm fishing water. Even if the inside has some wind, which can come up mid afternoon from the West, there is always some place to go hide behind like San Carlos Point, Strange Island or head up Tahis Inlet where its like a lake (subject to regs some years). Off shore is great and some days things can be relativley calm although I've rarely seen it flat calm. Lots of good options.

I had a Campion 542 Explorer and had no problems fishing the inside waters in Esperanza and Nootka - outside was a different story, and a whole lot of work! Don't think your prairie friends would like it very much. Port Hardy/Port McNeil has lots of places to fish with that boat as well.

I'd go Nootka just based on your boat size and ability to fish the inside at that time of the year with all the tyees going through. Plus if you hit nice weather you can hit the highway. Considering your boat seems like a no brainer.

Critter cove is great but will be hard to get a spot. Moocha bay looks nice little more traveling to the fishing grounds

What is the level of bootiness of inside Nootka fish by Aug 12-19? First week of August they are still brightish, but by the Kayak Derby at the end of the month they are pretty black. They will be close to the Moutcha dock by then.

Its not that far a run and if you take the inside route down the inlet its very protected. Tahsis also has different options to fish. The only issue is that if you plan to drive there, you're on a gravel road out of Gold River for I think its 70km approx. I'd launch in Gold River and run my boat up there. Not sure exactly, but, the run would be at least 45+ maybe a bit more.

The run from Gold River to Tahsis is about an hour - at 20 kts - if the water is flat. The Tahsis inlet is usually pretty good, but the Muchalet can be pretty choppy in the afternoon when the winds kick up. I've made the trip several times - in the morning - and it's been great all the way.

Back