Navionics sonarchart live

Earl Ledge

I recently bought a new iPad and supposedly transferred all my information over from my old iPad. The navionics charts have not transferred. However my pins appear to have come over. I have avoided the subscription model for several years because I was happy with what I had previously bought and paid for. While pushing buttons and exploring what to do I came across a setting that appears to allow you to set the density of contours in sonarchart live. If I could set the depth contour to 1 meter or a fathom I might be tempted. Does that setting work for saltwater fishing up to say 250 feet? What is the value proposition with the subscription? Thanks for any actual factual data and opinions. In the mean time I’ve held in to the old iPad which still seems to work as before.

I recently bought a new iPad and supposedly transferred all my information over from my old iPad. The navionics charts have not transferred. However my pins appear to have come over. I have avoided the subscription model for several years because I was happy with what I had previously bought and paid for. While pushing buttons and exploring what to do I came across a setting that appears to allow you to set the density of contours in sonarchart live. If I could set the depth contour to 1 meter or a fathom I might be tempted. Does that setting work for saltwater fishing up to say 250 feet? What is the value proposition with the subscription? Thanks for any actual factual data and opinions. In the mean time I’ve held in to the old iPad which still seems to work as before.
Why would it matter if you can set the contours to 1m when you are fishing at 250' deep? The waves and current are going to have a big impact on anything down that deep. It's not like you are going to be able to pinpoint a spot 250' down.

I don't update my Navonics every year but maybe every 2-3 years. You get the 1 year subscription, update your card, and set a reminder in your phone for just before your subscription is going to run out and then you update your card again. Then you wait a year or two and re-subscribe for another year and update your card. It always comes with better contour lines everytime you update the card. It also has the RCA's as of the last couple years.

Why would it matter if you can set the contours to 1m when you are fishing at 250' deep? The waves and current are going to have a big impact on anything down that deep. It's not like you are going to be able to pinpoint a spot 250' down.

I don't update my Navonics every year but maybe every 2-3 years. You get the 1 year subscription, update your card, and set a reminder in your phone for just before your subscription is going to run out and then you update your card again. Then you wait a year or two and re-subscribe for another year and update your card. It always comes with better contour lines everytime you update the card. It also has the RCA's as of the last couple years.

Where I fish I like to map the humps and holes for bottom fishing. That’s why I’d like to map that deep. But the one foot contour lines on my current setup just cause a black mass, e.g. on steep drops or humps, which obscures the situation. I like your idea of updating the charts only every few years. I imagine if you drop the subscription for a while you lose the ability to transfer routes and pins between machines.
update, I read in another thread it was only about 25 bucks for a subscription so I did it. The contours are much better. Now to see how to bring my pins and routes from my old app.

Last edited:
Back