Natives strike again

I too struggled a bit with how to say this.

It seems many people want one set of laws, equality across the board, one Canada, etc. The fact is, our cultures are very different and reconciliation is what is needed, not necessarily equality. They need fairness and fairness means you get what you need as a an individualist or group and does not mean everyone gets the same thing.

so you believe we should have a separate set of rules and they should have special status above all other Canadians? I'm not condoning racists statements but the year is 2013 not 1750 - everybody should have the same set of rules.

This whole thing is NUTZ!!! I am sick of all the bleeding hearts that pull the racism card every time some one calls out a FN group for going over the line. Like it or not too many of these groups are hiding behind their "Special rights" while committing acts that are in direct contradiction to helping grow Back the resource.

No they did not deplete it on their own. Yes much of it was done through greed and irresponsible behaviors of all persons using or abusing the resource and the habitat regardless of race and Native status. Bottom line is the resource is not what it used to be, so using the "FN rights" card as way of excusing this kind of behavior is BS and NEEDS TO STOP.

Last year the Alberni groups harvested something like 8-9 thousand more Chinook than was allowed in one nights opening. I called them poachers and suggested they be charged along with those who bought the fish and those who where tasked with the job of overseeing it. I was promptly told that it was an accident and that nothing good would come of charging people. I call BS on that and say that is what we keep doing and that is why nothing changes regarding the exploitation of the FN rights by FN members that takes place every year. It is a known problem and it is time to start saying it like it is. It is no different than calling out a rec fisher or a commercial fishery when they break the law.

Ibtl... In before the lock, swell.

I prefer Irritating but totally legal. Would have been nice if there had been some communication.

Could have been asshats like the guy who went thru the Tyee pool. All races have asshats, honest.

Until you can say someone is an asshat and see them charged, without being called a racist, our multicultural society still has a way to go.

The asshat...Yes every group has them.... Behold the asshat...

Hilarious.
The fact is that the FN have been screwed over in every way imaginable and still are in many ways so is it really a surprise that some of them don't respect or trust our government to make the rules, they are our rules after all and not theirs. They have their own governments and I think if the rest of us could at least acknowledge and respect where they are coming from and what they have been through, that would be the first step in forming a cooperative and respect full relationship that benefits everyone especially the poor fish. This isn't to say that I support everything that FN do, only that I don't agree with over generalizing and dismissing an entire peoples based on a few incidents.

so you believe we should have a separate set of rules and they should have special status above all other Canadians? I'm not condoning racists statements but the year is 2013 not 1750 - everybody should have the same set of rules.

Yes I do, but that comes from years of studying their culture, history and the many court cases. It's a subject that is not easy to boil down to black or white, pardon the pun, although many try to.

This whole thing is NUTZ!!! I am sick of all the bleeding hearts that pull the racism card every time some one calls out a FN group for going over the line. Like it or not too many of these groups are hiding behind their "Special rights" while committing acts that are in direct contradiction to helping grow Back the resource.

No they did not deplete it on their own. Yes much of it was done through greed and irresponsible behaviors of all persons using or abusing the resource and the habitat regardless of race and Native status. Bottom line is the resource is not what it used to be, so using the "FN rights" card as way of excusing this kind of behavior is BS and NEEDS TO STOP.

Last year the Alberni groups harvested something like 8-9 thousand more Chinook than was allowed in one nights opening. I called them poachers and suggested they be charged along with those who bought the fish and those who where tasked with the job of overseeing it. I was promptly told that it was an accident and that nothing good would come of charging people. I call BS on that and say that is what we keep doing and that is why nothing changes regarding the exploitation of the FN rights by FN members that takes place every year. It is a known problem and it is time to start saying it like it is. It is no different than calling out a rec fisher or a commercial fishery when they break the law.

You make a valid point. Didn't the band in PA recently single out one of their own members for poaching? Seems to me there are many responsible bands and leaders of those bands trying to do the right thing. Call out the individuals for sure, just don't paint them all with the same brush.

You make a valid point. Didn't the band in PA recently single out one of their own members for poaching? Seems to me there are many responsible bands and leaders of those bands trying to do the right thing. Call out the individuals for sure, just don't paint them all with the same brush.
Big deal, In PA, "Singling them out", vs. making them accountable and properly answering for their illegal actions are completely different BGM. A slap on the wrist from their own community will do nothing to curb their actions when there are big dollars at stake. Same as any group.

Seizure of their boats and equipment (same as any other group), hefty fines (same as any other group) and if necessary jail time (same as any other group) is what is necessary. These are not children that need to be shamed by their parents to change their behavior. These are grown men who need to be shown through punishment that their actions are unacceptable (same as any other group) I get that our courts have determined that they have unique rights not given to the rest of Canadians, I will not accept that this allows them to poach and get away with it. Particularly to the tune of nearly 10,000 poached fish in one day of illegal fishing.

The June 12 column by Jeremy Maynard (Future of Rec Fishery in BC could be in Doubt) is a well balanced summary of the Nuu-chah-nulth fisheries' current status. However, the article's provocative title and last line may leave readers with the wrong impression.

Contrary to the title's implications, Nuu-chah-nulth fishers are not pursuing an exclusive fishery that will shut down recreational fishing opportunities in BC. Instead, Nuu-chah-nulth are looking for a fair share of west coast Vancouver Island (WCVI) fisheries resources based on aboriginal rights proven in the BC Supreme Court and upheld by the BC Court of Appeal.

As a former commercial fisherman, home-use fisherman, and current elected leader, I see the value in sharing the marine resources with other users. Taking care of everyone that lives, works, and recreates in Nuu-chah-nulth territories is a fundamental responsibility of Nuu-chah-nulth Ha'wiih (our hereditary Chiefs).

Nuu-chah-nulth Nations know that our abundant WCVI fisheries resources can support all harvesting interests; recreational, commercial, and aboriginal. Nuu-chah-nulth Nations have been at the forefront of working with other harvesters through progressive, collaborative "round tables" like the Area 23 harvest committee, the Nootka Sound Watershed Society, and the West Coast Aquatic Management Board. Already a significant (and growing) source of employment for young Nuu-chah-nulth fishers is guiding in the recreational fishery. Like recreational fishers, we want these important economic opportunities to continue.

A thriving Nuu-chah-nulth fishery on the west coast of Vancouver Island will help re-build local economies and benefit everyone involved.

Nuu-chah-nulth fishers live, work and spend locally (including Campbell River for our northern Nations). We contribute to the larger BC economy through increased marketing and sales of seafood beyond the west coast.

Our fisheries provide training and mentorship for young Nuu-chah-nulth fishers looking to make a modest income from the sea.

These opportunities help build and support communities.

Local governments in Tahsis, Tofino, and the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District have shown support for our efforts by penning letters to DFO in support of our fisheries. They see the benefits of local, sustainable fisheries whose participants live and work in local communities.

DFO and local governments also know that our developing economic fisheries are well managed.

Participating Nuu-chah-nulth fishers adhere to conditions outlined by a "requirements and responsibilities" document authorized by their Ha'wiih (hereditary chiefs). This document describes species, quantity, and conditions to fishing. Monitoring on the docks and at sea also takes place at levels that far exceed the standards prescribed to similarly sized fisheries.

We welcome further discussion with representatives of the recreational fishing industry and local communities that may have unfounded concerns about Nuu-chah-nulth aboriginal rights and fisheries interests.

Nuu-chah-nulth aboriginal rights-based fisheries will not put the "future of recreational fisheries in doubt".

From the time of contact with Europeans, Nuu-chah-nulth have shared our fishing practices, our technologies, and our sea resources with other users. We don't intend to change this approach now.

Clifford Atleo Sr., President, Nuu-chah-nulth Tribal Council

© Copyright 2013
- See more at: http://www.courierislander.com/opin...heries-resource-1.327839#sthash.ANANtKLS.dpuf

First Nations, DFO sign key Memorandum of Understanding

The Courier-Islander September 27, 2013

Leaders of the BC Assembly of First Nations, First Nations Summit and Union of BC Indian Chiefs met

Tuesday with Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans to sign a BC First Nations Fisheries Memorandum of Understanding (MOU).

The MOU "establishes and defines a collaborative relationship to achieve concrete outcomes that are mutually beneficial to all parties, and supports the aspirations of First Nations in BC, through establishing a joint dialogue process regarding general and specific issues related to fisheries and aquatic resources in BC."

"We are pleased that we have finally signed this important MOU, which has been in development for more than a year", said Grand Chief Edward John of the First Nations Summit political executive. "Fisheries issues are critical to First Nations in BC. This MOU provides a much needed mechanism that will provide opportunities to discuss key fisheries and aquaculture issues and will hopefully lead to collaborative efforts to achieve concrete outcomes that are not only mutually beneficial, but also address the aspirations and needs of First Nations in BC."

BCAFN Regional Chief Jody Wilson-Raybould of the Cape Mudge band said the MOU provides key opportunities.

"First Nations in BC, concerned about the health and vitality of fisheries, continue to look for opportunities to work jointly with other governments on improved fisheries management," she said. "Unilateral legislative development is not acceptable. First Nations and indeed many Canadians stood together last year in opposition to unilaterally developed omnibus Bills C-38 and C-45. Past Fisheries Ministers have committed to "robust" consultation with First Nations and I am encouraged by this step towards improved relations. DFO's commitment to high level political engagement with First Nations is critical to work jointly through the challenging issues, including legislative and regulatory changes, facing our communities."

Chief Bob Chamberlin, Vice-President of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs said it was also time the federal government acted on Cohen Commission recommendations.

"It has been nearly one year since the Cohen Commission final report was tabled and we have yet to see an official response to the report's recommendations from Canada. Commissioner Cohen made 75 recommendations with respect to the protection and conservation of wild salmon.

"We fully expect that, under this MOU, we will finally be able to engage in a meaningful dialogue with DFO and the federal government on how they intend to make the necessary investments in the protection of wild salmon as prescribed in Commissioner Cohen's recommendations."
© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Last edited by a moderator:
Yesterday My brother drifted the lower san juan and saw a few gill nets .Apparently the hatchery doesn't have all it's brood stock but it's still early for coho,hopefully they got enough springs.

Great post Ray. Thank you.

Back