Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Picked up a nice 18lbs red at humps last night, 80ft down on a spoon, green glow gibbs 4inch, green flasher.

we ran gear for coho for a little bit, but didnt find any.

Been a while getting back to the chuck, finally got a new boat and got everything set up.
I was rewarded with four fish to the boat in an hour of fishing biggest and only one kept was 21 lbs others were 8 to 10lbs.
All caught using one downrigger in nasty swell and wind down 80 and change on the reef behind the hudsons.
21lber.jpg
Red hot spot green spackle back spoon.

Been a while getting back to the chuck, finally got a new boat and got everything set up.
I was rewarded with four fish to the boat in an hour of fishing biggest and only one kept was 21 lbs others were 8 to 10lbs.
All caught using one downrigger in nasty swell and wind down 80 and change on the reef behind the hudsons.
View attachment 13203
Red hot spot green spackle back spoon.

Nice fish! Whereabouts is the Hudson's?
TL22

Hudson rock is to the left leaving the harbour, first island to the left, fishing the backside you are protected by the SE winds, see more n more people making them inside tacks produce... Nice fish Arima Arima, that ties my best weight so far this year ..what is that sweet new boat? gotta love them center consoles..

Fished 230-630 ish
between the fingers and neck point..
Wind was a pain and never layed down for us... worked pretty hard..
lost one coho landed a small spring... Usual gear, plus bait...

Hudson rock is to the left leaving the harbour, first island to the left, fishing the backside you are protected by the SE winds, see more n more people making them inside tacks produce... Nice fish Arima Arima, that ties my best weight so far this year ..what is that sweet new boat? gotta love them center consoles..

Thanks for the info. I trolled south of that nearer to Thrasher yesterday at 11:00am. We landed two Pinks within first ten mins. One 80' on a chovie and other on 4" army truck spoon. No other hits other than a shaker so went bottom fishing and did well.

We fished the inside of Entrance all day today. We got some hits but they seemed to be short striking which was a problem for me since I was trying a Jughead with Herring for the first time and they kept hitting behind the lone single hook supplied. I must have been doing it wrong.

Picked up 3 nice Coho today off the Fingers-120-170 feet on green splatterback hootchies. Had to release two other wild ones. Waterhas finally settled down!

No springs for us but one boat had a 17 pounder.

Got a late start this morning. Dropped lines at about 10:30 am in Horswell Channel, Got 2, 8 inch baby chinook right away out of a pile I thought was "bait". Switched to a bigger spoon and the biggest chovies in the bait bin and bonked a 15-18 lbs teenie bopper after about 10 minutes of fishing time. Ran the Hudson reef all day and lost 3 nice ones, let loose 2 legal chinook, 3 wild coho and then bonked a wild one about 6 lbs.
After the pm tide swing, lost the scratchies on the sounder that were heavy before the swing. I suspect they were on the south side of the rocks but had to pick up the wife from work so I didn't go for a look see. 150 bait and 90-120 coyote spoon in 150-200 feet.

Fought the wind from 6:30 to 1:00 off the fingers. 1 hatch coho and 4 wild (kept 2). Lots of undersized spring, but no keepers; the survey guys at the ramp reported the same, cohos but no springs. Most action on my usual, acchovies and kitchen sink spoon.

Beauty day out there yesterday, only thing that would have made it better would be fish! or even a hit! If it was any slower out there I would have been going in reverse.

Back