Nanaimo River

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they did it easy enough at the millstream mouth with that new pink gong show.well have to see.
Oh,and that would be "dragging a fish up on the rocks".
I never did and never would drag a fish on rocks,espeacially one I was releasing.Hell,I could string a net across my river if I wanted,jus making a point.

How;s that UNKNOWN? Honestly...that's gotta be an assumption...please explain. I'm taking no offense,but not sure where you get that idea.....?[:0]
About 8 inches to the right of the tail,is a complete drop off to about 15 ft of water.I picked the front end of the fish outta the water by the fly hooked thru the nose and quikly placed it there.Here's a cutty I did the same with,but used wet leaves for the quik pic...
cutty.jpg

My "point" was, this fish was not treated bad at all.It coulda been a victim of those who do net them.I don't know if I'm saying anything right here,but,...The stupid little fish took off back into the "fire hall"(deep hole) pool like greased mosse poop.Damn..lol,I shoulda not even came back here,ridiculous.
P.S. the deep hole(firehall)pool is up behind cedar general store.About I don't know...3-5 K UPSTREAM of the raines rd, stretch where they do net them,if thats what you were getting at.
And I was reffering to the boot chum in that Youtube vid for the 'dragging' comment.
Is that clearer folks?
Oh ,and that's not my ciggy butt in that pic,I don't smoke tobacco LOL.didnt even notice it till after.LOL.

Ok......That guy in the youtube vid DRAGGED that fish on the rocks.
I did not place that coho there in that manner at all.And I know that is what people are imagining,I DRAGGED it on the rocks without even touching it.Read my re edit on page 3,I'm not retyping what I jus explained.
Send me to hell if I abused that fish..DANG..LOL.geez!
OK,I thought back to that day...ONly the tail end from about the Adipose to the end of the tail WAS dragged..on the wet rock. it's main body was hoisted,and being a light fish going less than a foot from the drop off,was lifted unharmed and placed..on that dry part of the rock:(...for a about a total of...4 seconds.
If I can catch another jack,I'll video tape the whole catch and release.If my bro was there,i woulda done the trophy pose harnessing it properly...but this was no trophy.
Believe me..believe me...believe me...believe me...believe me..believe me....believe me...believe me.....kill me.[:eek:)]

Nice pic. I caught my first steelhead in the Nanaimo. I understand some of the replies regarding Nanaimo River and I like to listen to fellow anglers concerns about any given fishery. However critisism should be backed up with reasonable information and possible solutions or feed back not a kick in the b*lls. All though sometimes this is the best approach;).
"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

quote:Originally posted by Stevil

Thanks for the report and pics River6ix, nice to see.
Too bad I had to read all this crap about the Stamp from the experts.

So, if someone has been fishing & working on a river for 25 years, all of their collective knowledge from those years is just crap.[?] Well, maybe before posting a generalized statement about people you know nothing about, you could enlighten us with your knowledge & experience so that everyone could then look forward to your meaningful contribution to the thread. If you find this task to be too difficult & just want to continue with weak comments like the one above, then the Mods should lock this one up & start over. [V]

quote:The thread is entitled "Nanaimo River" and I had to sift through 4 pages of meaningless "Stamp river this, Robertson creek that... that has no relevance to Nanaimo.

The ONLY reason there was anything about the Stamp in this thread was because a couple of individuals with rather obviously uninformed opinions made some rather laughable comments that needed to be addressed. They started the thread off in this direction, all I did was correct their statements with facts. If the truth hurts too much for ya, then don't read it.

quote: I just want to know how the fishing is there (Nanaimo)

If you really want to know, then here are some more facts for you. The chinook, coho & steelhead runs are ALL in grave shape.Once relatively abundant returns are now but a shadow of their former selves. The hatchery is small, underfunded & under staffed, but still does an amazing job of keeping these runs from going extinct. They work tirelessly & could use any help or funds they can get to help keep the salmon coming back. As others have said here already, the Nanaimo River probably shouldn't be talked about online. It doesn't need any more pressure, even from C&R fly fishermen. These fish should be left alone to spawn to try & keep the numbers from getting any worse. There were plenty of pinks to target for C&R, and as of Nov.1st, there will be ample chum to fish for. People who actually care about the state of the Nanaimo's salmon should confine themselves to targeting those two species, & leaving the fragile numbers of the others alone. There are plenty of other rivers on VI where a person can target surplus salmon without harming fragile stocks. The whole excuse that "the river is in my backyard & I don't want to spend the gas money to go anywhere else" just doesn't cut it. The fish deserve better than that.

quote:props to River6ix for contributing in the first place, and continually trying to keep what could be a great thread on track. This is a perfect example of why I don`t start threads here or contribute to discussion. 4 pages after the original post, you guys are still harrassing him about how he handled the fish.

So, if you don't contribute, why are you jumping in now?? If you actually bothered to read the whole thread, then you would realize that nobody is continually "harassing" him about his handling of the fish, rather trying to inform him that there is a better way to take C&R pics. People were simply voicing their concerns about "placing" a fish on the rocks for a pic, especially when that particular river needs every fish for escapement. If people are going to target these low number species of fish, then their handling of those fish should be extra cautious, to ensure their survival. No one was saying he was an evil person who did a terrible thing, rather, just to be a little more careful with these valuable fish if you absolutely need to get a pic.

quote:I don`t need to get lured into an argument with an internet tough guy.

Don't worry, you didn't put up much of an argument. Sounded more like a whole lot of feathers & not much chicken.......... With apologies to Kim Mitchell.;)

I don't need education on handling fish.I don't need back from angler's who see past a not so bad picture of a JAck.
I do gotta say that Stevil jus said alot of things that I gotta say..,"frikkin' rights dude!!!"
I been a member on this forum since 2002 and know what goes and what sinks in regards to questionable posts.I posted what I did.
So when exactly is Ec rivers,that are left alone,due to recover?
Where is my license fee going? The rivers open and I'm gonna fish it.What about the "F... YOU" post 'bout DFO and defiant ethical anglers fishing illegally as much as DFO screw our fisheries too?
I'm not super passionate 'bout fishing as some seem to be on these forums,but I diffinately love to get a FISH ON,which is a major part of the addiction of fishing.
WHat do you care anyways bout nanimo river?You got the stamp.I'd love to see the nanaimo hatchery pump out better runs.It's all screwed.I'm going fishing ...in the Nanaimo!Good chances at Coho runs are a go till november.
Shut it down,I'll still fish it,it's my government given ......prevlidge/right.
Anyone have any luck there lately?:)

Oh,and I just got this E-mail from Chromesweetchrome..."Your a stupid ****ing **** stain, end of story."

I laugh out loud.So what about my last post bent you CSC?
Is your name John I take it?
You sound like your pissed and angry?Dude,it's only fishing.There's WAY more to life than showing anger and sending useless personal emails like that.
I'm guessing your personal life and fianances are getting to you.Life is tough.
Oh ya,don't mess with something you know nothing about.There's no pity for fools like you.
Let it rest.
Caught a maple leaf and some snotty/cotton like shyte today.
Anyone else have any luck on the Nanaimo today?

quote:I think thats for DFO to decide, not you. Back off. As a licence holding, responsible fisherman and a volunteer improving salmon habitat I'll fish damn well any where I please as long as it's open. As a university student with classes 5 days a week (studying biology)and working 2 days a week I'll fish the Nanaimo river if I feel like it. Not every one has $40 extra and a full day to drive to the otherside of the island, I don't care if you think its an excuse or not, it's reality. If your lucky enough to fish the Stamp whenever you please, then count yourself blessed.

There are a lot of words to describe you, but responsible ISN'T one of them. You are obviously too short sighted to see the bigger picture & only care about what is best for you. It's a good thing most fishermen don't have your selfish attitude & lack of respect for the fish. What are you going to do if the river does close one day?? Be like your buddy you're defending there & announce to the world that you don't care & would just go fish it anyways?? Guess if you ARE a responsible fisherman, then you would have to go find another spot then wouldn't ya?? I wonder if time & gas money would be such a big problem then?? Maybe you should add a couple of courses to your studies, like fisheries management & mortality impacts on fish populations. It might just help you understand how systems like the Nanaimo don't need excessive pressure over already critically low numbers. That is the whole point here, putting the needs of the fish above your own, THAT is being responsible.

quote:If it's such a concern to you how this system is doing, how understaffed and underfunded the hatchery is here, maybe you should roll up your sleeves and pitch in, just don't use the excuse that you don't have time or gas money because that just won't "cut it".

I have been working, fishing & volunteering on rivers all over VI for 25+ years. You were probably nothing more than a twinkle in your daddy's eye when I started volunteering on this Island, so spare me your conjecture until YOU have put in some real time making a contribution. You've got a long way to go from picking up a little bit of litter once in awhile.

quote:I jumped in to defend the poor guy, he's making the sort of contributions I'd like to, if wasn't sure a bunch of hypocrits would jump in to criticize where I fish.

THIS is what you are defending[?]

quote:Shut it down,I'll still fish it,it's my government given ......prevlidge/right.

WOW[:0] Good thing you aren't studying to be a lawyer, this guy is definitely a lost cause.[xx(]

quote:If you must harrass people for destroying fragile stocks, get out from behind your computer, go down to the river and go "educate" some snaggers. You sure are good at confronting people on the internet, go try it face to face.

You pick the time & place, I'll see you there[B)]

quote:Originally posted by River6ix

I don't need education on handling fish.I don't need back from angler's who see past a not so bad picture of a JAck.
I do gotta say that Stevil jus said alot of things that I gotta say..,"frikkin' rights dude!!!"
I been a member on this forum since 2002 and know what goes and what sinks in regards to questionable posts.I posted what I did.
So when exactly is Ec rivers,that are left alone,due to recover?
Where is my license fee going? The rivers open and I'm gonna fish it.What about the "F... YOU" post 'bout DFO and defiant ethical anglers fishing illegally as much as DFO screw our fisheries too?
I'm not super passionate 'bout fishing as some seem to be on these forums,but I diffinately love to get a FISH ON,which is a major part of the addiction of fishing.
WHat do you care anyways bout nanimo river?You got the stamp.I'd love to see the nanaimo hatchery pump out better runs.It's all screwed.I'm going fishing ...in the Nanaimo!Good chances at Coho runs are a go till november.
Shut it down,I'll still fish it,it's my government given ......prevlidge/right.
Anyone have any luck there lately?:)

Wow, that rambling nonsense pretty much says everything anybody wanted to know about you. [:eek:)]

Hey L.C.,

When you gonna lock this garbage up??

Ya,it's just rambling.Really,it is.I'm not not too serious bout fishing or fish forums,jus asking a question.I really wouldn't do half the stuff I say.
If you can judge a person thru text on a FiShInG forum,then dang,all is said and done,you'd pick me out of a bar jus by these postings,and not let me buy you a beer.
It's only fishing,and no fish is above my great life.really,that's nuts to say.
It's only fishing,not life,think about it.
Oh,time to go to work!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back