Nanaimo River

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:Originally posted by mthornton

Id like to know what educational background you have if you go around pointing fingers like that! Dont make assumptions to "poeple"

I didnt make assumptions, the "people" I was talking about already posted their uneducated opinions in this thread and others. River6ix just proved that again with his last post. And Nitnat junkie, are you kidding me?? You spend your time jigging BLACK springs on the Nitnat...get a grip you fishless freaks.

What a bunch of ****in losers!BL takes the cake!You sure have a hard on for SS!Get over it u newb!!

Just Bring it!

Pay attention you guys , you have been trolled !
By now you should recognize the s**t disturbers and therefore don't play into their game only gives then a sense of importance which really isn't there !

AL

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

Hahaha, this topic is awsome! So much drama, If the guy says he treated the fish with respect, then just assume he did. I have layed fish on the rocks for pics before. It just looks bad in the pic. Nobody knows how the fish got there!

It just LOOKS bad?!? Lets see, as soon as fish hatch, they spend their entire lives suspended in the water, so dragging them up onto a hard flat surface where their scales & slime can get rubbed off when they thrash around is no big deal?? I sure hope YOUR C&R techniques are better than that, especially on a river that barely has enough fish in it to sustain a return. My whole point was, if you, or anybody, is going to fish, you are going to have an impact on the fish.The difference is, on a river like the Stamp, that impact is minimal. With 60,000+ coho & still counting, a few dozen or more mortalities from sports fishermen will have almost no impact on the overall return. On a river like the Nanaimo however, ANY potential mortality can have a great impact on the return. Every fish is needed either by the hatchery, or for natural spawn. To drag one up on the rocks for a pic is just poor judgment, & hopefully, by informing him of this, my intent was to get him thinking that next time he lands one & wants a pic, it might be better to leave the fish in the water & take the pic there. It's not about bashing someone, rather educating them to think of what is best for the fish first.

quote:
SummerSteel If the stamp steelhead stocks ever diminish...Well we all know who the fingers will point at... and its not because were targeting you...You made it very public the #'s of fish you remove from the rivers.

You've got to be kidding me right?? Do you have ANY concept of how a put & take fishery works?? From your & other's posts, it would appear not, so let me explain it for you yet again. Firstly, please remember that we are ONLY talking about the Stamp here, NO other rivers. The fishery there is designed around a large hatchery component consisting of an excess of SURPLUS fish. These fish, both salmon & steelhead, are pumped out year after year for one reason only, to be caught & killed. Weather it be by sporties in the ocean, the river, FN's, or commercials, the surplus numbers are designated for harvest. At this very moment, there are almost 200 hatchery clipped steelhead sitting in the pens at RCH waiting to be trucked back down to Service road to be re-released back into the river & make the swim upstream all over again. The staff at RCH are hoping that sport fishermen will catch & KILL the majority of these fish because they don't want them back at the hatchery. That is their main purpose, to provide a harvest fishery for sportsmen. They already have more than enough "wild" steelhead for broodstock, & the bulk of the run is just starting to come in now. People that have these grandiose ideas that somehow it is heresy to kill a steelhead just don't get it. We are not talking about truly wild fish on remote streams that need protecting here, rather, surplus hatchery fish that have been designated for harvest. That IS their reason for being. I know this for fact, because,many years ago, I worked for DFO & at RCH. I did swim counts, caught broodstock, helped with egg takes, etc., etc. I know the inner politics of DFO & their reasonings, however messed up, for why things happen the way they do. ( A topic for a whole other thread ) Point is, there is absolutely nothing wrong with killing hatchery steelhead on the Stamp. In fact, that is exactly what the hatchery staff want people to do. By harvesting these fish, it shows the powers that be that people are utilizing the resource, & therefore it is prudent to keep funding it, albeit at a seemingly always reduced level. If people stop taking hatchery fish, the Gov. will simply stop making them, as they feel the people aren't getting good bang for their buck. The Cowichan River is a prime example, fishermen for the most part stopped harvesting hatchery fish, so the Gov. decided to stop the program & spend the money on trout for lake enhancement instead.
The coho are another prime example of surplus fish for harvest. Right now, there are 60,000+ coho in the system & still coming in. DFO's new estimate says there could be 80-85,000 by the time it is over. They don't need or want this many fish in the river. Essentially, they are now a nuisance. Every time they open the hatchery gate to let springs in, they are flooded with coho. They just did the first seperation the other day & sent hundreds upon hundreds of coho off to the highest bidder to be made into cat food or fish pellets. The lagoon in front of the hatchery is just polluted with coho & they are still coming up river. Part of the reason for upping the limit to four fish was so that people would take these surplus fish out of the system & they wouldn't clog up the hatchery so bad. Bottom line is, they want these fish harvested. For all those who think it is wrong to take your limit of surplus Stamp fish, it is time you educated yourselves on this particular river & it's fisheries so's that you can have an informed opinion on the subject. Maybe then these threads wouldn't deteriorate into the nonsense & ***** sessions that they have become. [V]

Holy crap,..I feel like I'm back on Fish B.C. from like 5 yrs ago!!!!lol.
I got my account as River Hunter deleted because of endless crap like this.Dang...like I, and most of us members here,know what condition our rivers are in,and which systems are healthier than others.
We all fish on our beloved island rivers,we all seem to care the same,but like always,ego and jealousy and one uping another always causes chaos.
I know that things went bad at first when I called CSC a "dummy' and said"use your head".From there it was sides taking sides and blah blah blah.
ChromeSweetChrome...I think your a fishing god and take all I said back.Can you teach me the ropes?
Now,all I was asking is,if anyone has had success on this hurting river.
I'm sorry little coho for taking a moment of your time to get a pic to send to my brother.
And Gary the fisheries officer,..thank you for keeping an eye on our rivers as best you can.
Fish on brothers.
Oh ya,has anyone had any success on Nanaimo river since the rains have hit?:D

I think we need the old day's of fish bc back, might just get rid of all of the endless bitching and finger pointing that is going on.. Get out and fish for crying out loud.. If your aware of a problem system use your judgement and go elsewheres. Maybe the mods should shut the useless crap down at the getgo so this site can get back to what is meant for-REPORTS and the sharing of KNOWLEDGE..:( -dirty

quote:Originally posted by Summer Steel

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

Hahaha, this topic is awsome! So much drama, If the guy says he treated the fish with respect, then just assume he did. I have layed fish on the rocks for pics before. It just looks bad in the pic. Nobody knows how the fish got there!

It just LOOKS bad?!? Lets see, as soon as fish hatch, they spend their entire lives suspended in the water, so dragging them up onto a hard flat surface where their scales & slime can get rubbed off when they thrash around is no big deal?? I sure hope YOUR C&R techniques are better than that, especially on a river that barely has enough fish in it to sustain a return. My whole point was, if you, or anybody, is going to fish, you are going to have an impact on the fish.The difference is, on a river like the Stamp, that impact is minimal. With 60,000+ coho & still counting, a few dozen or more mortalities from sports fishermen will have almost no impact on the overall return. On a river like the Nanaimo however, ANY potential mortality can have a great impact on the return. Every fish is needed either by the hatchery, or for natural spawn. To drag one up on the rocks for a pic is just poor judgment, & hopefully, by informing him of this, my intent was to get him thinking that next time he lands one & wants a pic, it might be better to leave the fish in the water & take the pic there. It's not about bashing someone, rather educating them to think of what is best for the fish first.

quote:
SummerSteel If the stamp steelhead stocks ever diminish...Well we all know who the fingers will point at... and its not because were targeting you...You made it very public the #'s of fish you remove from the rivers.

You've got to be kidding me right?? Do you have ANY concept of how a put & take fishery works?? From your & other's posts, it would appear not, so let me explain it for you yet again. Firstly, please remember that we are ONLY talking about the Stamp here, NO other rivers. The fishery there is designed around a large hatchery component consisting of an excess of SURPLUS fish. These fish, both salmon & steelhead, are pumped out year after year for one reason only, to be caught & killed. Weather it be by sporties in the ocean, the river, FN's, or commercials, the surplus numbers are designated for harvest. At this very moment, there are almost 200 hatchery clipped steelhead sitting in the pens at RCH waiting to be trucked back down to Service road to be re-released back into the river & make the swim upstream all over again. The staff at RCH are hoping that sport fishermen will catch & KILL the majority of these fish because they don't want them back at the hatchery. That is their main purpose, to provide a harvest fishery for sportsmen. They already have more than enough "wild" steelhead for broodstock, & the bulk of the run is just starting to come in now. People that have these grandiose ideas that somehow it is heresy to kill a steelhead just don't get it. We are not talking about truly wild fish on remote streams that need protecting here, rather, surplus hatchery fish that have been designated for harvest. That IS their reason for being. I know this for fact, because,many years ago, I worked for DFO & at RCH. I did swim counts, caught broodstock, helped with egg takes, etc., etc. I know the inner politics of DFO & their reasonings, however messed up, for why things happen the way they do. ( A topic for a whole other thread ) Point is, there is absolutely nothing wrong with killing hatchery steelhead on the Stamp. In fact, that is exactly what the hatchery staff want people to do. By harvesting these fish, it shows the powers that be that people are utilizing the resource, & therefore it is prudent to keep funding it, albeit at a seemingly always reduced level. If people stop taking hatchery fish, the Gov. will simply stop making them, as they feel the people aren't getting good bang for their buck. The Cowichan River is a prime example, fishermen for the most part stopped harvesting hatchery fish, so the Gov. decided to stop the program & spend the money on trout for lake enhancement instead.
The coho are another prime example of surplus fish for harvest. Right now, there are 60,000+ coho in the system & still coming in. DFO's new estimate says there could be 80-85,000 by the time it is over. They don't need or want this many fish in the river. Essentially, they are now a nuisance. Every time they open the hatchery gate to let springs in, they are flooded with coho. They just did the first seperation the other day & sent hundreds upon hundreds of coho off to the highest bidder to be made into cat food or fish pellets. The lagoon in front of the hatchery is just polluted with coho & they are still coming up river. Part of the reason for upping the limit to four fish was so that people would take these surplus fish out of the system & they wouldn't clog up the hatchery so bad. Bottom line is, they want these fish harvested. For all those who think it is wrong to take your limit of surplus Stamp fish, it is time you educated yourselves on this particular river & it's fisheries so's that you can have an informed opinion on the subject. Maybe then these threads wouldn't deteriorate into the nonsense & ***** sessions that they have become. [V]

I agree with you about the fish handling, and I also agree with the idea that the hatchery wants anglers to harvest the steelhead.

However, it's this hatchery put and take program that has caused the deterioration of the Stamp River fishery. If you talk to any fisheries biologist they will tell you that there really are no true wild steelhead in the Stamp system anymore. Natural spawning of wild fish with the hatchery clones has reduced genetic diversity to the point where even the wild fish are actually hatchery offspring.

What this means is that when the funding is cut to the Robertson Creek hatchery, which is highly likely over the next 5 years or so, the steelhead returns will likely diminish to the point of angling closure. Hatchery steelhead do not adapt well to environmental change, disease, etc. due to their lack of genetic diversity. You can say what you want about broodstock but when your broodstock is actually of hatchery origin then it makes no difference.

There is a reason why the Stamp is the only river on the island that is a put and take steelhead fishery - you have to sacrifice the virility and genetic diversity of the wild fish in order to make it happen. In other words, you can't have your cake and eat it too.

This being said, I agree with what others have said about preserving the integrity of the forum; but it's hard to resist taking shots when hardcore meat fishermen are preaching about fish handling skills.

Hatchet buried... for now. ;)

quote:However, it's this hatchery put and take program that has caused the deterioration of the Stamp River fishery.What this means is that when the funding is cut to the Robertson Creek hatchery, which is highly likely over the next 5 years or so, the steelhead returns will likely diminish to the point of angling closure.

Interesting, the returns on the Stamp have been doing pretty well for the last 35 years, I guess we'll just have to wait & see what the numbers look like in 2014, won't we. Care to place a bet on your dire prediction?? [^] I guess you are also predicting the same collapse south of the border as well. It is easy to see how much their numbers are collapsing this year. [:0] Almost 600,000 steelhead over the Bonneville dam, with almost 170,000 of them being wild. Care to place another bet on these rivers as well? Oh, BTW, those numbers are a week old, so they have probably gone up a bit. ;)

http://www.fpc.org/currentdaily/HistFishTwo_7day-ytd_Adults.htm

quote:
This being said, I agree with what others have said about preserving the integrity of the forum; but it's hard to resist taking shots when hardcore meat fishermen are preaching about fish handling skills.

So if you decide to kill a fish, you don't know how to properly handle & release them?? Give me a break. I worked for fisheries catching broodstock for years, I think I know how to handle live fish. The only point I was trying to make to the kid was that is is better to NOT drag a fish on the rocks for a pic. Either leave it in the water, or forget that pic & get the next one.

quote:The next tyrade gets this thread locked.

Hey, L.C. won't break my heart at all if you lock it up. My only intent was to put out accurate information about the Stamp river fishery. Having worked & fished on the river for 25+ years, I think I know a little something about what goes on there. Too often, people "hear" things from other people & pass that along to others who add or subtract their own theories, & before you know it, rumors are flying as to what is or isn't happening, & more oft than not, most of it is untrue. Through out the fishing season, I stay in touch with a lot of people who work/fish on the river almost every day. I know the information I'm getting is accurate & up to date. I try & pass that information along for the benefit of all, but it seems there are always a few who feel the need to stir up **** if for no other reason than to hear themselves talk. It would definitely be nice to see these few people take the time to properly inform themselves about what is happening, so's that they could then participate in a meaningful discussion without all the wasted energy of taking cheap shots & mudslinging.
I think someone should start another "Nanaimo River" thread, & keep it about that.

Well,I'm gonna try Nanaimo river again after work.I'm a tower crane operator on the new Uptown mall here in Victoria and we been working 7 days a week,so I haven't had many chances this year to wet a line.
I been fishing Nanaimo river for 30+ years and seen better days on it for sure.I care for the fish as much as anyone.I already mentioned that fish was handles better than any fish those T.V. fish show guys from back east handle them,so give it a rest.
Maybe I'll tag a larger ho today and get a more happy pic of it and show what kinda nice fish are making it up the Nanaimo past the nets.
Adios amigos,have a good day.

I Dont think the Nanaimo river should be talked about online.

Not with the shape it is in, As soon as any fish get in the system
everyone and there dog are there snagging, flossing, and selling them on Cedar rd. Sure they bite under the right conditions but the majority of the people fishing are using spinners and ripping them through the pools...And again being sold on the road. I quit fishing the Nanaimo about 13 years ago and probable will never fish it again unless it recovers from years like these. But lets be honest there is not enough fish there to begin with, but people still dont get it and keep fishing it hoping to catch the odd fish that is around.

Not to start anything but this system should be closed to all angling for a long time. Even the Cowichan river is fly only until the 15th of November, It even has a Larger return than the Nanaimo river, but the Nanaimo river is still open to fishing?

Splitshot

http://www.sportangler.ca/network/index.php

Originally posted by Splitshot

I Dont think the Nanaimo river should be talked about online.

Not with the shape it is in, As soon as any fish get in the system
everyone and there dog are there snagging, flossing, and selling them on Cedar rd. Sure they bite under the right conditions but the majority of the people fishing are using spinners and ripping them through the pools...And again being sold on the road. I quit fishing the Nanaimo about 13 years ago and probable will never fish it again unless it recovers from years like these. But lets be honest there is not enough fish there to begin with, but people still dont get it and keep fishing it hoping to catch the odd fish that is around.

Not to start anything but this system should be closed to all angling for a long time. Even the Cowichan river is fly only until the 15th of November, It even has a Larger return than the Nanaimo river, but the Nanaimo river is still open to fishing?

Splitshot

x2

Holy crap,I was gonna post about how I don't see too many people fish at all let alone snag and floss,but this is unbelievable!!!
So that spot is on Raines rd. just below the sqaure marker BELOW cedar bridge.It is the TIDAL zone.The regs right now are...Upstream side of the Cedar bridge to upstream to the end of Boswell Road (commonly referred to as the "FireHall Pool"). Chum Nov 01 - Nov 30 2 per day.
Also this guy looks white.Natives have no prob harvesting fish in that part of the river,they/me are allowed by fisheries,not that I would,just a fact.
But on the other hand,if more ethical anglers flyfished the Nanaimo and were around,we'd be able to confront and/or call fisheries on these...I'm guessing,uninformed anglers.Jumping to calling him an"idiot" is jumping the gun,he could be a great guy,who knows?right?
And a colored up chum too[xx(] I'm gonna post the regs on his comment,ha ha!

quote:Originally posted by Splitshot

Wow here is one for ya :(

This link is the first one I got when I typed fishing Nanaimo river on youtube. The vid was posted 3 days ago. Notice the bonk and the foul hook job, and the way he is teaching his kids [xx(]
Close the system down before its too late.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-sH6-tmjEo

Splitshot

http://www.sportangler.ca/network/
I just threw up!!BARF!!!

A total BOOT foul hooked in a closed area with a barbed treble hook... pathetic.

Oh that kid got an education alright, how daddy should have been snagged not the chum. [:eek:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back