Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Trolled for 4 hours today. Caught a 13# Red Spring near Thrasher Rock at 2:15 this afternoon. Beautiful day. Flat as a pancake.
Dave

I'll be making the trip across from Vancouver to Thrasher/etc this weekend and will be fishing the Nanaimo area for the first time this year. Looks like the action is picking up which is great to see. I fished east side Galiano last weekend and picked up one small keeper and released it but didn't get another bite after that. I've only fished Thrasher once before and wondering what the best way to fish that area is (ie what areas on what tides, etc). If anyone wants to PM me with general info on that area it would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll just do what most guys do and explore for myself :)

I try to fish the lee side of the tide so on an flood I'd be fishing on the north side of the reef on the ebb I'd move around the front and fish the south side from the light house down to the can buoy, it's a good troll follow the structure, you catch fish all over that place.

I have also noticed a significant reduction in the number of prawns pulled per set.
Last week I had a full charter where we dropped 8 traps three times over 8 hours and
ended up with not even one limit. Each time we moved and some of the drops were
in my favourite holes. Not sure what that bodes for this year but I do know that the
commercials will be hitting the water in 2 weeks so, if there are any at all here, they
will be gone after the commercials begin. I am out again on the weekend and
will keep you posted.

Good to see reports that the fish have finally arrived....at least off Nanaimo/Gabriola.

I fished Nanaimo on Sunday to break in the new to me boat (25' Pursuit). I was only fishing 1 rod most of the time as I worked out the kinks however the action was pretty much non stop. Most of the fish were just undersized however I lost one at the side of the boat that looked to be a good 15#, had one on for a few minutes that judging from the initial run was somewhat larger and boated one keeper. I hope to be out again this coming weekend. What VHF channel is everyone monitoring?

H.E.H.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't make it up to Thrasher this past weekend as planned but ended up fishing the east side of Galiano instead. Lot's of just undersized and a lost a good one at the boat. Should be a great next couple months. Hoping to make the run up to Thrasher at some point within the next month.

Went out after work yesterday with a couple buddies,fished around the fingers/entrance.We landed 5 between 19-10 lbs and lost a few others,the hot lure was the irish cream spoon with a 6 foot leader.Pretty good 3 hours of fishing

Went out after work yesterday with a couple buddies,fished around the fingers/entrance.We landed 5 between 19-10 lbs and lost a few others,the hot lure was the irish cream spoon with a 6 foot leader.Pretty good 3 hours of fishing

Looks like you had a good day! I'm heading out on saturday and hope to hook up on a couple. What depth were you finding them?

I was out today fishing 2kms off the fingers, fishing 165ft got a #12 and lost about a #25 to a seal 50ft from my boat and ate it right in front of me
I went out at 5:30am-11:00am.

Went out last night for a couple hours....fished neck point lost one and landed a 9 or 10 lber. Got both fish on a cop car spoon

Well, first trip out this year. Caught 3 shakers, kept one 8-10lber and lost something bigger. Big enough to run out some line anyway. Good to be back on the water.

went out sat evening got one around 10 lbs. few other boats out.. got back to Brechin around 9 pm and guys were cleaning some big fish 25 lbs plus. seems like its heatin up out there.. crabbing seems to have slowed down a bit...3 keepers

Just got in the house,It was on fire this morning. My two daughters and I hit the water at 6am and it was awesome,caught 6 lost 4. Half the time couldnt even get the other rigger down,16-9lbs all on green splatterback hootchie but one. Am trying to get the pics off my phone

Back