My project boat pics

I have had them all and I have yamaha right now. I like suzuki the best but yamaha dealer support is very good in Canada. To be honest I don't think you can go wrong with any of the new motors they seem to be very reliable. Black is not the best for salt water spray but that's only for cosmetic. I think merc and suzuki have a better warranty them the yamaha. The suzuki have a lower gear in them which is nice, also the suzuki outboards hold a pile of oil, 8litres in the 150.

welcome to the dark side, the blacked out hull looks wicked! I am curious why you applied the paint directly to the gel coat? typically you would seal the hull with 2-4 coats of epoxy primer, at least that is what we did painting our hull with awlgrip. Super clean killer job anyways!!

I've painted 10-12 fiberglass boats directly over the gel coat, never had a issue with adhesion or anything else. The only time I'll epoxy first is if its a aluminum boat

Cool, I know black is probably the most unforgiving color to shoot on a hull and your boat turned out really nice. Are you are planning to paint the top side as well? Nice to have the hull match that mercury vrod out back.....

Sculpin is going to be building me a aluminum hardtop, then I'll paint the top half and hardtop all at once. Looking into teak for the floor as well

Sounds like some cool additions, you may want to look into cork flooring for the boat, super grippy, looks great and no yearly maintainence. It is about the same price as teak. Just another option for you.

Hey mikep. Here is on I just finished today, its a 27' lifetimer . The bottom has 2 coats of epoxy,2 coats of red pearl base and 2 coats of clearcoat. The top has 2 coats of epoxy and 2 coats of dellfleet evolution. It takes me around 50 hrs from start to finish
LIFETIMER003_zpsf305e6b5.jpg

LIFETIMER002_zps99b6319a.jpg

LIFETIMER007_zpsadd6f5e1.jpg

LIFETIMER006_zps83f0faa2.jpg

LIFETIMER005_zps4b3d1c0d.jpg

I've painted 10-12 fiberglass boats directly over the gel coat, never had a issue with adhesion or anything else. The only time I'll epoxy first is if its a aluminum boat

Have you ever painted over a gelcoated hull that has been painted with something that is now flaking off? Do I need to get that layer all off or sand the flaked areas and hope for the best?

tubber, I have. You have to keep sanding the paint edge back until you find where it's sticking and then feather the edges, If you find that the paint isnt sticking very good,the boat wasnt prepped well and if you dont remove all the paint before its painted again you'll have the same problem

If my lifetimer had looked that good I never would have sold it!

Nice work!

Thanks for the reply, that's what I figured. Old Campbell River whaler, lord knows what the top coat is. The Lifetimer looks very cool as does the black one.

that is some really nice work there! Man they look soo good when they first come out of the booth!

^ Yup, alot of upkeep and care from there on out if you want it to look that nice! - Like that will happen though!

Awesome work though, that takes a lot of skill and patience to prep and mask all of that properly! - The painting is the easy part!
May I ask what brand you use for your epoxy/base/clear are you using marine refinishing paint or simply an automotive or fleet grade?

all the products we use are from PPG, it's the same products we put on kenworths,peterbuilts,volvo's etc. I put Imron on mine because it's alot quicker. Get in there and coat,cross coat and your done

Back