Muddy Spring Taste - Smoke It?

Time

We had a discussion a year or so ago about some salmon having a "muddy" taste.
I got one this year, but was wondering if it would be worth smoking or turning into Indian Candy.
Thoughts?

Smoking is fine if you want to bake or grill it soak it in low fat milk for 24 hrs changing the milk once.

Smoking is fine if you want to bake or grill it soak it in low fat milk for 24 hrs changing the milk once.

LOLOLOL.......soak in Ketchup for 72 hours. Changes the taste completely. LOL..........LMAO....seriously cracked myself up.

LOLOLOL.......soak in Ketchup for 72 hours. Changes the taste completely. LOL..........LMAO....seriously cracked myself up.

quote:Originally posted by Time

I got one this year, but was wondering if it would be worth smoking or turning into Indian Candy.
Thoughts?
Don''t fish the lakes in August and you won't have that problem [:eek:)]

You're welcome [:p]

quote:Originally posted by Time

Thoughts?
Don''t fish the lakes in August and you won't have that problem [:eek:)]

You're welcome [:p]

Serious hat on now......[:p]
The off tasting fish was frozen as fillets?
If so try round next time. The "muddy" or fat fishy taste comes from freezing the fully processed meat IMO

As Kildonan says........ giver, you cant go wrong in the smoker :D

Serious hat on now......[:p]
The off tasting fish was frozen as fillets?
If so try round next time. The "muddy" or fat fishy taste comes from freezing the fully processed meat IMO

As Kildonan says........ giver, you cant go wrong in the smoker :D

The reason I ask if they are Vedder or Harrison River white springs is. Seems once those fish get into fresh water they tasted "muddy"
& even smoking them couldn't save them[V] Atleast I never found a anything:)

The reason I ask if they are Vedder or Harrison River white springs is. Seems once those fish get into fresh water they tasted "muddy"
& even smoking them couldn't save them[V] Atleast I never found a anything:)

Salmon do that when they hit the fresh

Red fleshed spring caught in Beecher Bay.
Filleted and frozen (vacuum packed).
Only thing I can think of, that may have contributed, is that I didn't bleed the fish out, but I can't see that as the cause.

Will smoke the rest of it, but probably won't do the 72 hours in ketchup, although I'm sure that would mask any odd tastes. Heck, that would even turn a white spring into a sockeye.

Thanks guys

Red fleshed spring caught in Beecher Bay.
Filleted and frozen (vacuum packed).
Only thing I can think of, that may have contributed, is that I didn't bleed the fish out, but I can't see that as the cause.

Will smoke the rest of it, but probably won't do the 72 hours in ketchup, although I'm sure that would mask any odd tastes. Heck, that would even turn a white spring into a sockeye.

Thanks guys

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

You would be correct in regards to just about any White Spring in the river- I have had some good red Springs that were good table fair-just have to catch them before they turn:)

Back