Mr3

It’s not a bad idea to put on backing unless your running all braid gives a bit of a cushion if mono expands or wound on to tight can crack the spool
I have run without though and never had a problem

From islander site on MR3
Cautionary Note: It is recommended that mono-filament line be removed from the line cavity of the spool every once in a while to relax the line and remove pressure from the spool walls.

With a little backing that would not be necessary in my opinion

best you learn some proper knots then S.T.
but since you know everything ????
usually you have 3 knots even before the backing i.e. using a flasher . hook to swivel (leader). flasher to mainline.
you could be correct if the user was running a mono top shot to braid then. possible but most user's running braid with mono topshot have done there homework.
but thanks to your wonderful insight ...

i for one never seen or heard of a fish take off 300yds plus of mono get into say 150 yds of 30lb flyline backing and then have that fail.
maybe it was a seal?
even then if you think your getting spooled . get the boat in gear .

the plus advantage that you fail to mention is that.
when the flyline backing starts to show through its time to close the distance and the fish is on to much of a long line ...
no probs if your out on your own with no others around .
but could prove a problem if your in a pack .

Last edited:
usually you have 3 knots even before the backing i.e. using a flasher . hook to swivel (leader). flasher to mainline.
you could be correct if the user was running a mono top shot to braid then. possible but most user's running braid with mono topshot have done there homework.

i for one never seen or heard of a fish take off 300yds plus of mono get into say 150 yds of 30lb flyline backing and then have that fail.
maybe it was a seal?

Agree. Have backing on all my MR3's and a properly tied blood knot will hold before the mono breaks before the knot. Put it in a vice and try it. Have done it lot's of times...

Agree. Have backing on all my MR3's and a properly tied blood knot will hold before the mono breaks before the knot. Put it in a vice and try it. Have done it lot's of times...
Unless your doubled up on 60’s going the opposite direction you should never have anywhere near that amount of line out get on top of your fish

Had springs to 28lbs run hard but never more then couple hundred yards , the backing is not needed but it looks cool and reduces the need for excessive amounts of mono. I Don’t discredit Storm troppers expertise one bit, the guy eat sleeps and breathes fishing, but for me a fresh spool of 30lb mono with the backing will do. Hope i never have that unfortunate situation where i get spooled 600ft of mono but if i so im probably hooked to a submarine.

pop corn time Rob
just replied to wind you in.. hooked

maybe it was a seal?

the plus advantage that you fail to mention is that.
when the flyline backing starts to show through its time to close the distance and the fish is on to much of a long line ...
no probs if your out on your own with no others around .
but could prove a problem if your in a pack .

Guess you never fished Rivers eh;)

1-3% Derby and you know it, only make it up there....
but if your offering me a trip then i wont say no...lol

Guess you never fished Rivers eh;)
Ah nothing like a 6 oz weight with a large cut plug getting vacuumed up by a big Rivers king and watching it run down deep until you get into your backing. Stressful until you can get some of the line back on the reel.

Back