Mounts for diy tower build

Goblin

Hi again everyone, wanting to build a tower for a hewes 180 sportsman. I was pretty sure I can build a tower for a lot less than the average 1800 us for any of the manufactured ones, I'm starting to wonder though. I've been looking for the mounting hardware for a fold down tower and is hard to find. Anything I have found is going to be at least 300 us for 4 mounts. Does anyone know of a good location with reasonable prices for mounts or have any other fold down mounting ideas? Still need to price out 6063 pipe. Local machine shop I can get the pipe and they will bend it and I have a buddy that can weld it for me. Thought I'd start pricing from the mounts up might be just a reasonable to buy one. Sick of tripping over rods and trying to figure out where the kids put the net when you need it!!

Aluminum? Or stainless? SS Swivel mounts for 1 3/4” stainless tube run me $80 Canadian per corner. Wholesale. That’s pre trump tariff. I’m not sure what they’d be now. If any change at all? If you can find them cheaper than that, let me know as I’d be interested in some too.

It will all be aluminum. Taco marine is the one spot I’ve been looking but you have to order through west marine or another company they sell through. Not sure if this a marine only item or if there is another application for them.

I am doing the same this winter, I am going to build my mount with a piece of plate about 3 ft long with tubing on the ends, this way I can take the tower off at home when im walleye fishing.

I looked at Taco marine and could not find anyone in canada who carries the parts... did you find a place in the US ??

Ill share some pics along and any places I find for stuff.

Goblin,

I would talk to the machine shop doing the rest of the work for you and see what they would want to machine you up the mounts. Not super complicated and they may be interested in making those for you being they are already involved in the project.

Good luck,
Darin

To me it does but sure could have some other hipster meaning too. I'm only ordering the pipe and getting it bent at the machine shop. I was going to try to bend it myself but am not at all confident about that. I'm going to cut and clean up all the flat plate and try to get the rocket launchers looking like most I've seen and get a friend to do the welding. I believe steveston marine might carry taco marine stuff, just haven't had a chance to call.

Part of me wonderd if these would work..... may not look the best but lots of different styles and they are engineered for structural work.

032888188945.jpg

Part of me wonderd if these would work..... may not look the best but lots of different styles and they are engineered for structural work.

032888188945.jpg
That looks like cast steel to me, aren't you worried it would rust and make a mess of your boat?

Its galvanized, for me personally no because I would only be putting my tower on for ocean trips and removing when I get home, I would try and build a quick release mount for the base and all connections as I want the tower off for walleye fishing.

I wouldn't want to use galvanized steel but if that was the only option you could use some plastic or rubber to isolate the mounts from the rest of your boat. And use stainless bolts and nylock nuts.

I use Pier Supply out of tennessee to buy taco metals parts, they ship quick via ups. Keep in mind that most of the aluminium pieces you'll buy from taco or Atlantic tower. are pre-anodised and they're meant to be used with pre-anodised pipe when building towers etc. if you use raw aluminium pipe with these fittings the pipe will tarnish but the fittings will stay shiney, could look a little strange. If you're planning to paint or powder coat, probably not a problem. I had whodat towers out of Washington build me a 7 rod rocket launcher a couple years ago for my old boat, paid <$900us, I couldn't have come anywhere near the quality for that money in DIY, the pipe was bent perfectly to match the curvature of my hardtop, it was bright anodised. A sharp piece.

Hey All, I was gonna build my own tower 3-4 years ago but ended up getting fourfootitis and the new boat had rocket launchers. Made out of aluminum and allows one to fold the arch down for storage. Inside diameter is 1 15/16". I bought these from the US and paid over $100 US. If anyone could use them, I could let them go for $100.CDN. PM me if interested or post here. Located in Vancouver.
tower bracket 1.jpg tower bracket 2.jpg tower bracket 3.jpg tower bracket 4.jpg

Last edited:
Once you start pricing everything out it definitely starts to add up. I found weld on rod holders at marine fiberglass direct for 22 bucks a piece us. High quality swivel mounts are 250 for 4 and the knobs for taking down 40. 6063 1.5 inch id is 3.71 a foot. I can trade for welding and can do the fab and clean up
Myself. All the custom towers look great and they make lots for a boat like mine but the price is just to much right now.

Back