More Unhappy Campers - by Bob Hooton

"Wearing the angling closure badge of honour just makes people feel like they are doing something,"
Huh? By doing nothing I am supposed to feel like I am doing something? As one of those borderline grey hairs who has all but quit steelheading I can tell you I almost never think about steelhead anymore. The east coast of Vancouver Island has had the productive portions of the rivers closed for 20 years or so. There has been no improvement in fish numbers, only rivers that get almost no fishing activity anymore, and now they have nobody advocating for the fish that used to draw people to them. I can tell you the "badge of honour" thing is a myth.

Huh? By doing nothing I am supposed to feel like I am doing something? As one of those borderline grey hairs who has all but quit steelheading I can tell you I almost never think about steelhead anymore. The east coast of Vancouver Island has had the productive portions of the rivers closed for 20 years or so. There has been no improvement in fish numbers, only rivers that get almost no fishing activity anymore, and now they have nobody advocating for the fish that used to draw people to them. I can tell you the "badge of honour" thing is a myth.
Exactly my point!

Back