More Quota Purchased in Nootka

Whoever is not a member has no right whatsoever to demand anything. You choose to do it on your own, guess what: good luck on your own!
The only thing that will really count is how much of the lease quota is actually used. Who cares if someone gets a licence for 1000 pounds and gives back 1000 pounds at the end of the year? Still a failure. Your crying out is premature.

This is my personal opinion on becoming a member or not. I'm a board member but the following is my own personal thoughts, not SVIAC's. We pay next to nothing to DFO for a fishing license every year and get about as much back in return from them. The license has more value than what is being charged for just your annual enjoyment alone. So why not support a group that is trying to force government to act and get serious about a recovery plan on this coast. Our fisheries are in decline and every year we face more issues. You can pay your $28 for you annual license and stamp and watch it all go in the *******. If you are a senior angler who already enjoyed the good days and now gets an even cheaper license....you will never convince me you shouldn't cough up your $40.

Well, for one reason, your Vision Statement:

Our Vision

For the people of Southern Vancouver Island to enjoy and benefit from a range of thriving year-round angling opportunities and healthy fish populations needed to sustain those fisheries now and for future generations.

really doesn't provide much of an appeal to those of us mid-Island and North. Secondly, as some others have pointed out earlier on this thread there is nothing on the SVIAC website that indicates that anything is actually being done to address any issues.

Well, for one reason, your Vision Statement:

Our Vision

For the people of Southern Vancouver Island to enjoy and benefit from a range of thriving year-round angling opportunities and healthy fish populations needed to sustain those fisheries now and for future generations.

really doesn't provide much of an appeal to those of us mid-Island and North. Secondly, as some others have pointed out earlier on this thread there is nothing on the SVIAC website that indicates that anything is actually being done to address any issues.

Exactly, need to try and stop with the localized groups...much easier to fracture and seperate and divide this way.

Ok I will throw it out there if it said BC anglers coalition would you join then? I can't speak for SVIAC I am only a member but it is not intended to divide the angling community...

I just can't see even the name were changed the mid/upper sections of the island would band together...I still am not sure why...Trust me we still have a hell of a time convincing people down here to be involved....

This divide will destroy us as a group if we don't overcome this eventually.... I find most of the angling community ( not you guys posting here) honestly care that much they just go with the flow and whatever is handed to them from DFO...

No, I wouldn't join if the Vision of the group continued to focus on enhancing the fishery on Southern Vancouver Island - which I assume includes "streamkeeping" activities etc - which is a good thing.

Create a credible organization whose sole Mission is to be an advocate and representative for the true recreational fishers (ie excluding the commercial recreational fishery - guides/lodges) and I would consider joining. Such an organization would represent the interests of recreational fishers by presenting logical fact based positions on issues relating to the fishery and lobby the various Government agencies in that regard.

Given how some lodges are going the quota route, and they are big lodges who I am sure have some pull in the politics of it somewhere along the line, I don't see how everyone can keep saying lodges/guides are the same as the recreational fisher. Sure they might be recreational fisherman, but I bet livelyhood will come first. Don't kid yourself.

When I go on a charter it is purely a meat fishery, and typically the captain of said charter says exactly that, and this is what they do day in day out.
They don't look at the fish as a blessing from nature, or appreciate the colors, finesse, or fight of the fish. It is seen as a paycheck, a successful day on the charter boat. How anyone can describe or think that this is some kind of recreational fishing is laughable, and to think that true recreational fisherman, the guys buying boats, spending thousands and getting nothing but experience and $500/ pound salmon would be compared to a lodge or guide as one in the same is a joke.
I mean no disrespect to any guide but I call it like I see it. A guide is a commercial fisherman, thats why I HIRE you. Duh!
If I could honestly believe and dive head first into the fact that a lodge/guide operation is fighting for MY (the true sporty) best interest, and not the interest of putting food on the table and cash in the bank first, well, I'd think I was probably on something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My principles wont let me support an organization blindly. And high five, sport fishing is bigger than Vancouver Island, I don't see why you don't include the huge populations of the mainland, rather than just hoping for support from the central and north island....

Rollie, you have some of my highest respects on this forum, for the events you host and if anyone was a rec fisher who is also a guide, I would consider you to be him. But it is the SVIAC JOB to convince ME that what they are doing with my (and everyones) money and support is just! But for salmon's sake! The website hasn't even been updated with SFBC Banana Cup Results. $5500 of the money raised went to SVIAC, but there has been zero updates as to where it went or what is being done with it. Infact I have seen no changes at all since may on that website. We hear no updates on the SFBC forums from SVIAC whatsoever. I think those who did attend the derby and supported this cause deserve exactly that.

Maybe SVIAC is so bogged down in the political process that they do not have time to keep up with there message and websites regarding updates and news. Again I have heard nothing on their stance regarding quota, so either they are dodging the issue, or they are fishing?
SVIAC has done little to convince me other than giving the sport sector a few kind words to gather fundraising support and a POSSIBLE outlet to spend $40 and HOPE it makes some sort of difference.

I am more more more than willing to offer my support and money to a cause that makes it clear that they are the ones to put my support behind and they will GET results! I made several contributions at the Halibut Seminar, far more than the $40 membership to SVIAC, to the various foundations presented at the Seminar because the work they have done is seen first hand. I believe a beautiful hatchery house was built on oyster creek (though I may be mistaken with the location). I want more out of the money I give in support than just a membership card. I would love to support SVIAC, but they are doing little to gather that support unfortunately. It all boils down to a lack of information which should be clearly stated, with no confusion as to the goals of the organization.

I think this all is really meant for another thread. I was hoping a higher up from SVIAC would post a thread detailing the latest updates and open the forum to discussion on relevant matters but that has yet to happen. It would be an opportunity to state your case and possibly win over some harder to sell anglers, like myself.

But breath easy SVIAC'ers, I'm fishing for 2 weeks so this is the last you will hear from me on the matter. FB - Out!

Holy derailment....

As far as i know guides and lodges follow sport fishing guidlines... Limits/gear...

the fact that someone can "buy" their way around the rules is what this thread is about i thinks.

there is more than 1 thread worth discussing within these pages.

My apologies for steering it elsewhere, tried not to knock it off the tracks but I guess it was inevitable. I stand behind my comments, but they would be better served in an appropriate thread fo sheezy. My bad!

I feel bad for how you spend your money on fishing charters! Meat fishery! That is sad! But have to say it's the customers choice. You pay the guide's time so he will do what you ask him to do. So if you ask for meat without any fun - your fault! And a waste of time and money IMO. Why don't you just go to the store then? I catch all the fish I need for myself on my own and then hire guides and visit lodges for some very special experiences. Enjoy the scenery of new areas and other fish, enjoy not doing all the gear work myself and of course hope for the fish of my life. We release most fish we catch on guided trips and only take home a few or a trophy. And all, indeed all guides I have used over many years now have done a great job accommodating our wishes in that regard. Meat fishing my a$$

When I go on a charter it is purely a meat fishery, and typically the captain of said charter says exactly that, and this is what they do day in day out.
They don't look at the fish as a blessing from nature, or appreciate the colors, finesse, or fight of the fish. It is seen as a paycheck, a successful day on the charter boat. How anyone can describe or think that this is some kind of recreational fishing is laughable, and to think that true recreational fisherman, the guys buying boats, spending thousands and getting nothing but experience and $500/ pound salmon would be compared to a lodge or guide as one in the same is a joke.

I don't need to finish reading your comment.

You are an annoying fool who should stay on the LM. No one wants your support because it is cheap and conditional at best Nick. I have been biting my tongue for months, but you just stepped over the line buddy.

Over and Out.

If you think for ONE SECOND I am the only one that thinks this...

Jeff

I feel bad for how you spend your money on fishing charters! Meat fishery! That is sad! But have to say it's the customers choice. You pay the guide's time so he will do what you ask him to do. So if you ask for meat without any fun - your fault! And a waste of time and money IMO. Why don't you just go to the store then? I catch all the fish I need for myself on my own and then hire guides and visit lodges for some very special experiences. Meat fishing my a$$

It is when thats what they ask and I know one of the guides he's taken and that's what is asked.

Man up.

Have to agree, calling the guides and lodges meat factories is pretty poor judgement. I haven't been able to afford many lodge trips but the one I did go on was a truly all-around experience and nothing even close to a meat fishery. And I also let go many fish that I catch on guided trips. I go on guided trips to have a good time with friends while not running the machinery myself for a change. And maybe to learn a thing or two from the pros. Meat is probably not even 5th on my priority list for guided trips. So I suggest you speak for yourself and not generalize where not suitable.

Are you guys up North saying the Fraser River Chinook stocks aren't your concern? If they continue to decline...you don't think the restrictions will move further out from the river? Science shows they are caught up and down the coast so you are not immune!!! If SVIAC is able to force DFO to implement a recovery plan on Fraser River Chinook stocks and we get the FN guys onboard and that fishery stabilizes and then recovers....we will prevent the same hardships we are enduring from coming to your town. Still not worth $40?

I don't need to finish reading your comment.

You are an annoying fool who should stay on the LM. No one wants your support because it is cheap and conditional at best Nick. I have been biting my tongue for months, but you just stepped over the line buddy.

Over and Out.

If you think for ONE SECOND I am the only one that thinks this...

Jeff

Jeff....i'm with you 100%. I must admit my blood started to boil when i read Nick's post. I hope that he was drunk when he wrote that. My guests (as yours i'm sure) are looking for an adventure and distraction from their day to day lives plus take a few fish home for the table.

hey guys,
my belief is most people that take a fishing charter have a love for the recreational sport of fishing and being on the water to one degree or another. otherwise they'd be heading to safeway for their fish. filling the freezer is a nice bonus for sure but I don't think that's the main attraction. other recreational fisherman get so involved that they would rather have there own gear and freedom of going where they want to try and doing it on there own. I think we all need to stick together (lodge owners, charter guys and there clients, joe weekend fisherman guys) and try not to be fractured or divided as we'll have more strength and influence in numbers. we need to keep showing our displeasure with the way the recreational sector is being treated. we need to tell people what's going on and the way we see it at every opportunity that comes up. I think this quota system is dividing us up and causing alot of infighting between the groups trying to share what little of the resource is left to us. It's sad but I believe that the dfo new perfectly well that this would be a result of this quota implementation. and I don't think we've seen the end of it unfortunately. that is my belief and I have a right to express it. if we don't make a stand and fight these clowns I think the future of recreational fishing is going to be pretty dim down the road for our sons and daughters... hope I haven't crossed the line (broken the rules of this forum) by just stating my beliefs.

When lodges or guides purchase quota to improve their bottom line they are doing so at the expense of all BC Sport fishermen. That is not a sportsmanlike decision, it is a business decision. The result is rich folks can keep large halibut while average Joe cannot.

Businesses (guide or lodge) that participate in this program should no longer be allowed to represent sport fishermen on any of the lobby groups (SFAB, SFI, SVIAC) etc. because they are biased.

When lodges or guides purchase quota to improve their bottom line they are doing so at the expense of all BC Sport fishermen. That is not a sportsmanlike decision, it is a business decision. The result is rich folks can keep large halibut while average Joe cannot.

Businesses (guide or lodge) that participate in this program should no longer be allowed to represent sport fishermen on any of the lobby groups (SFAB, SFI, SVIAC) etc. because they are biased.

Excellent point.
I agree 100%. hopefully most lodges with any amount of common sense will not buy into this quota debacle. once they have they should be classified as commercial and will be in my mind.

BANG ON Trend

I dont think you will find to many that will argue this ! well said
I %100 agree... Its as Commercial as an Operation can get !!!
the guides i know work VERY hard ta put food on there tables ...most of us get that !!....
but , if they start supporting/purchasing ,from this bs program , they will lose my support , as well as most others im sure...
the more Quota Purchase that gets utilized by lodges/guides/outfits..., the nastier the Rec sector will be divided... for sure.
should be an interesting Spring again : )
maybe these Rec Organizations can push ta get these clowns out of our sector... ya right....
will be interesting ta see who all participated in this once the season comes ta end !!

later

fd

Back