more halibut off Nanaimo

M

mason.jar

This past weekend and today, halibut were taken while fishing for salmon. This makes for a total of 7 incidentally caught halibut in the Nanaimo area to date. This counting all that have been caught north of Lasquiti Island and south to Thrasher Rock, we have solid reports of 15 so far this year, ranging in size from 12 to 47 pounds. There have also been reports of a few monsters off of French Creek and towards Ballenas Island. Would be interesting to see what would happen if someone tried to catch one. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Not sure if its the same fish you are talking about but I heard a report today ( from a very reliable source) of a guy fishing today and landing a halibut while targeting Halibut off Gabriola. He was trolling a plug on the bottom and got a 15 lb Halibut in less than an hr of starting.

ive been thinking this for years already... there in sidney and off pt. roberts - and have been historically targeted off vancouver (halibut bank) im positive in 50 years they would have found their way back to any ideal grounds/habitat which was cleared out... they were there for a reason.

I know a guy who has personally caught them and has had a friend catch some pretty big ones around the north end of saltspring years ago, i was thinking last year of going out for a day and trying there as well as outside of porlier.. till my motors died

Back